Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which is THE Quintessential "Hot Rod" Song?

Quintessential Hot Rod Song  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which song is the one song that most represents Hot Rodding ?

• Hot Rod Race by: Arkie Shibley
    • Hot Rod Lincoln written by : Charlie Ryan
    • Little Deuce Coupe by: The Beachboys

Obviously, this thread has wandered far afield from the original post, but I just wanted to comment that I thought the 3 songs chosen were quite appropriate to the question:

• Hot Rod Race for having established the genre and provided the seminal structure upon which all future Hot Rod songs would be based.
  • Hot Rod Lincoln as the breakthrough hit that broke the genre onto the mainstream Pop Music charts.
  • Little Deuce Coupe as the mass-appeal iconic classic that transcends all generations past and present and survives to this day.

The back stories for each of these songs, who wrote them, when they first appeared, and even how they made their journey into whatever level of popular culture they finally resided, is equally significant. Hot Rod Race, while unquestionably genuine and "pure" as a representation of postwar West Coast hot rod culture (street racing in San Pedro) and the Okies and Arkies of the Depression who created it from the money they earned in wartime factories, is relatively obscure today. To modern ears it is prehistorically primitive proto-rockabilly and much of what it describes has largely been forgotten except by hard-core Hot Rod aficionados. Hot Rod Lincoln owes as much of its notoriety to Commander Cody & The Lost Planet Airmen and the Rock 'n' Roll revivalists of the 1970's as it ever did to its initial success in 1955 or its acceptance as a pop chart hit in 1960. I would dare say that many who vote for it today are doing so because they remember it from the pop music revolt of the 70's and early 80's rather than the emergence of rockabilly and car culture in the 50's and early 60's. Only Little Deuce Coupe can truly be thought of as a pop culture icon, and THE quintessential hot rod song when it comes to mass culture.

I'm one of the few who voted for Hot Rod Race, but only because of its seminal nature and because it's such a remarkable document of the early years of hot rodding. But I would be the first to admit that, far more than the other two, Little Deuce Coupe, the product of California Youth Culture in full cry (cars, music, and post war consumerism), has endured and is universally acknowledged for its representation of a pop hot rod ideal.

Really the essence of this thread. Thank you Bernard.

There's nothing in the rest of the song that leads me to believe that's a drag strip. Sounds like he's just cruising to me. I think every population center of any size whatsoever in America has a "strip" of some sort where the kids cruise and hang out. We had two even here in tiny Dickberg.

Thanks for that also to Brett and Danno for filling in a missing bit of my education, We never really had a 'strip' like that in Solihull!

I do know that a drag strip is a one way affair though!

• 2 years later...

Music is always subjective...like Deathgoblin...I like it a bit heavier..

"Jesus Built my Hotrod" by Ministry (not religious) is one of my favs and the video is awesome. You've gotta watch it if you've never seen it!

^^
This.

And I can't stand Rock'n'Roll and Surfing stuff.
There. I said it.

Would have to vote for the Hot Rod Race just because of its capturing the essence of the beginnings. Saying that I wore out a copy of Johnny Bond's version of Hot Rod Lincoln which I consider the best version of the song. Don't really care for Commander Cody's version that much. Got to meet Charlie Ryan at a car show years ago when he was touring with the car and got an autographed copy of his version.

• 6 years later...

This is probably a really dead thread given it was started 10 years ago but that was way before I was back in the model car scene or this magazine. I actually made a hot rod Playlist on Spotify with pretty much every song listed on this page. Here's a link.

If you like it you can find it easier the next time you want to listen to it!

FMC66