Model Cars Magazine Forum

What color to paint my 1:1 project

ChrisPflug

After 23 years of owning it with no budget the two oldest kids are over halfway through college and I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel and starting to accumulate parts and pieces- hope to get some serious work done in the next few years

Car is a 1970 Challenger R/T, the original drivetrain long gone but was a 383 automatic car, came with a 68 440 but I'm leaning towards building a 470 inch low deck stroker from a good running low mileage 400 pulled from a rusted out 74 Monaco. Plans are to keep it looking pretty much stock, it sits up a bit with Super Stock leaves in the back but plan on running 15 inch radials on Rallye wheels or Cragars

Looking at staying with one of the 18 available original colors but still trying to decide Top choices for me now are:

Deep burnt orange with burnt orange cloth upholstery, the combo the car was originally built with. Originally hated the color but it's grown on me

Black with burnt orange interior- love the look but worried about getting and keeping the bodywork flawless enough for black

Go mango. Always loved orange, especially with hood blackout

Plum crazy was the plan for years but now seems a bit overdone on these cars

White especially after watching vanishing point

Lime, yellow, blue, or red never excited me on these cars

Your opinions?

Would you ever consider a modern color? I've always though that the Moss Green Pearl my Jeep is painted or the Crystal Black my Parent's Town and Country is painted (also on Sam Hanna's SRT Challenger in NCIS:LA) would look fantastic on a vintage car.

Here's my Traxxas E-Revo with a stock replacement body painted in rattle can MOPAR Touch Up Moss Green Pearl.......might even trick a few people into thinking it's a vintage color, my Parents had a '70 Charger R/T (440 6-Pack, 4-Speed, Super Track Pack, plain body color steelies, white top and interior, ect) that was painted a similar green that they bought new way back when.

HPIM4695-1.jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

I've always been a fan of keeping vintage cars looking original or "Day 2". You really can't go wrong with that... If you decide you can really live with the color. You say "it's grown on (you)", but you're going to have to live with it. If you're going to stick with the current interior, you need to think about what colors go well with burnt orange. White would look great, but black would be pretty cool too. Other than those two, you might have problems with the interior and exterior clashing. Just my .02...

As much as I would like to say Plum Crazy I do agree it is used a bit to much, not that's it's a bad thing though.

Sublime is a nice "I'm right here and I want to be seen" color but I always liked it a little more on the Cuda's and Challenger's.

Go Mango is another fine choice and another one I really like, it stands out but it's not too flashy.

But as fine as all these colors are I think if it were me I would do it White. I can literally put the ones I've seen White on my fingers and not be afraid to lose fingers. All online to boot, not once have I seen a White '70 in real life. I think it would make for a nice clean car, nothing overwhelming just simply "I'm here".

Of course Mopar being my way of life I wont argue against any color chosen, they're all fine and I'm sure which ever you decide on will do the car complete justice.

If it were mine, I would keep the original colors. The way I feel about older cars and trucks is change anything or everything but the colors. That's the color they came with and that's how they should stay IMO. A friend of mine has a real nice '55 Chevy 210. When he first bought it, it was painted black. He kept it that way a few years. Then, had it re painted back to the original color which is a mint green (don't know the actual name of it). It looks ten times better than it ever did in black!