Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can i use plasti dip instead of paint?

No. If it's the product I'm familiar with, it's a thickish, rubbery, flexible coating for tools, etc. It's NOT paint, and it will most likely make a mess of your model. From the Plasti-Dip marketing info:

"Plasti Dip Spray is a multi-purpose rubber coating that's great for home and garden use, automotive applications and more. This flexible coating won't crack, chip or become brittle. It insulates against electrical shock, vibration and heat and deadens sound.

Plasti Dip Spray, Black:
  • Multi-purpose rubber coating
  • Flexible
  • Insulates
  • Provides non-slip grip
  • Resists weather, chemicals, impact and abrasion
  • 11-oz can"

They also make a thinner Plasti-Dip that can be used for painting a variety of things, including cars, but I've yet to work with it myself. I did see a couple pretty horrific picture of what was probably a white Chrysler 200 rental car that had been "dipped" with flourescent snot green for a promotional series of pics to advertise a regional "Dipping" company. Now a couple friends also recently "Dipped" the white RX-8 beloning to one of their sister's in the same flourescent snot green..........it didn't really look any better in person than it did on my phone.

The Fujimi Del Sol is a nice kit, it's a pity that they chose to mold it in black, that will make it harder to get to a light color like white.

Since this is a replica of your own car, I believe you'll want to do it right. I recommend using automotive paint, in spray cans, that you can buy at your local auto parts store (Pep Boys, Advance Auto etc). The Duplicolor brand is what I see around mostly, and it will work fine. Most important, you need to use their primer to protect the plastic body. If you try the paint by itself, it will etch and ruin the body. I use Duplicolor gray primer under most of my paint jobs. They also make a white primer, which may be more appropriate for your project. Then pick out a white from their line that matches your car. Their sprays are done to match real car colors, but they wouldn't have anything as old as your car. So find one that is close. Note that there are many shades of white,

To paint the car, you will want to make a paint stand so it's not sitting on a surface. You can fold up a wire hanger to fit inside the car body, to suspend it in the air. That way you can hold it up, and spin it around to paint all the sides and surfaces.

That should get you there. This board is good with helping folks and providing answers, so use us as a resource!

My experience with painting white over dark or bright colored plastic is to prime it with grey first, it covers better, then hit it with white primer. If you try white primer from the start you will layer it up too thick before the plastic color goes away. Then paint your finish coat of white paint over the white primer. Plasti Dip spray would be like painting with spray tar.

Use a silver base coat, that will help seal it and prevent bleed through, then use white primer , then paint.

Stay away from automotive products, Japanese kits do not like most of them, and you risk etching the body, automotive paints and primers can be way too hot, and unless you have experience with using them, stick with hobby paints, Tamiya is great quality, or, Testors Model Master Lacquer line is good, both have white primer. And both will give you a very decent paint job straight from the can.

Edited by martinfan5

This is an interesting idea,

Over the years I've used Sharpie markers for doing body work and fabricating, I have notice how it dye's into the plastic.

After the part is marked with a Sharpie there is no size difference or build up when I measure with dial calipers .

Of course I'm not going to use a Sharpie to color the body like using a Crayon.

BUT - I have had an idea of using a dye that would penetrate white or of grey colored plastic.

Along time ago I made tie dyed t-shirt to sell. I didn't use the crumby stuff from the grocery store, I used a dye from an art supply called Procion .

I know it's made for fabric but am seriously thinking about soaking a parts box body in a tub of the dye and see what happens ?