Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good places to find sheets of flat plastic?

I once scored a piece of 1/16 white styrene sheet, about 3'X4', in the dumpster out behind the local mini-mart. It was the wrapper for one of those round ice-things they fill with soft drinks in the summer, and put in the middle of aisles.

Of course, one side was printed with Orange-Crush advertising, but hey, it was free.

Several of the local real-estate companies here also print their signs on sheet styrene. I've gone into a couple of offices and asked if they had any they were discarding. Got the frames too, that were made from low-quality steel stock, good for tooling fixtures.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Check the phone book under "plastics"; most cities will have a couple of plastics suppliers. Some will have a store that's open to the public (though only during business hours) and sell scraps/cutoffs from production jobs. One in my area does just that. For a long time, I've gotten sheet styrene in decent sizes for $.75 per pound ($1.50 per pound; buy five pounds, get five more for free). What they consider cutoffs and scraps are plenty big for the stuff we're using it for. Selection is limited, but the pieces I've bought are still bigger than anything packaged for hobby shops. They've gotten wise in pricing some of the styrene lately, but it still isn't bad. The last chunk I found, 1/8" thick, 16" x 30", cost me about eight bucks, including sales tax. Most of what I've found is in the .030" to 1/8" range in terms of thickness. I haven't looked for thinner stuff, as I still have a lot of .020" cutoffs from the days when I was having parts vacuum formed.

• 2 weeks later...

Bread clips

Gift cards might work

Plastic spoons will work with enough sanding

Try deodorant caps, some might be thin enough to use

Vacuum formed blister packs that sometime come with toys

Fiji water bottles are square, those might work. Or even just water bottles in general

Look around, you'd be surprised