Model Cars Magazine Forum

The absolute worst kit ever!

Ah yes, and today, so many modelers expect the parts to self-assemble when you shake the box... ;)

My wife's brothers! Three brothers, zero hobbies. We had her youngest brother and his family over for dinner. I showed him my model room. He looked at the display case full of finished models, and then the closet full of unbuilt kits in their boxes. He smiled and asked, "Maybe we could build one before dinner?" Dinner was in maybe 15 minutes to a half hour. The kit he pulled out was the Monogram 1959 Chevy convertible. So I pulled my finished one (all weathered and I opened the doors and trunk) and then showed him what it looked like in the box. He was floored. He had no idea that all those parts weren't prefinished in the box and all we would have to do was screw a few things together.

Edited by Tom Geiger

WHOA !!!-THERE ARE SO MANY-ONE THAT COMES TO MIND-LINDBERG 36 CORD-ONE OF THE WORST BENGINES TO INSULT A TRUE MODELER.!!!

I know. But, I'm still thinking about picking another one up. The last one I built, when it was still made by Pyro, was sometime in the mid-70's. And I still do remember how bad it was. But, I have just about every other Cord model kit. I need to at least add this one to my collection.

Scott

But I think my Grand Prize Worst Kit/Biggest PITA Build award goes to the AMT, ex-MPC '57 Corvette flip-nose gasser.

I'm sure there are worse kits, but not that I've built. This is the only kit I've owned that has ended hits life beneath a dead blow hammer out of sheer frustration.

I know. But, I'm still thinking about picking another one up. The last one I built, when it was still made by Pyro, was sometime in the mid-70's. And I still do remember how bad it was. But, I have just about every other Cord model kit. I need to at least add this one to my collection.

Scott

Actually, the Pyro / Lindberg Cord isn't so bad. The body fits together very well, in reality. I assembled one stock just to see, prior to starting a hot-rod highboy version. It's not particularly well-scaled, especially when you compare it to the nice Monogram 1/24 version, but it makes a decent model (if you don't measure too carefully, get hung up on accuracy, or look at it from the rear 3/4 angle).

There are several good-looking builds of this kit on the web. Here's one (not mine !!!)

DSC01533.jpg

DSC01535.jpg

There ARE, however, serious proportion problems with the drooping rear end and tiny kit tires (earlier issues have hard plastic tires)...

006a_zpsb27915be.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Great looking Pyro/Lindberg Cords, Bill. Yea they have some issues. I particularly don't like the area around the cowl, dashboard, and front edge of the door. But from what I remember, from the one I built years ago, it didn't go together too badly. Like I say, I may need to add one to collection of Cords.

Scott

I could whittle a Falcon better than that Premier kit.

I believe my cat could chew a better looking one out of canned cat-chow.

Palmer models - eeyuch :blink: . Those were the kind of kits people without a clue gave you as a present.

I do NOT remember Premier kits at all. Can someone point me to a history?

If you'd ever had the pleasure of seeing one, you'd remember for sure. I haven't been able to find a coherent history, but I get the impression it was an Anglo-American company, as some of the kits seem to be in demand as collector items in Europe, and the subject matter is more Euro-English than most US companies produced at the time.

It's a pity the models were so bad, because they did some subjects nobody else did...like a '55 Olds, a Nash Metropolitan, an Allard, and other unusual ones. If they were at all accurate, they'd certainly be worth having today.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The sad part for those who want an Auburn boattail speedster is that you you can only get a Mint-issued diecast if you want one on your shelf. The Pyro/Lindberg version defies the finest craftsmanship. I've seen some beautiful work on those kits, but they're a far cry from accuracy.

Another wretched backbirth of a kit was the "AMT" (reboxed, dunno who originally made it) Ferrari 250 SWB. Every so often I get that thing out, look at the kit parts again, and throw it back in the box. To add insult to injury, the kit box art was NOT the kit in the box. I'm not any kind of a Ferrari nut but even I can spot the flaws in that kit. Ick!

.. How does compare to the real car?

Like apples and wormy apples.

There are serious proportion problems. It CAN make a nice model with enough remedial work, but it doesn't look exactly like the subject.

One big flaw that jumps out is the very flat lower front fascia, or roll-pan. The real car's is curved forward in the center. The kit wheels / tires are another big downer.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The Revell '56 Ford pickup Kevin talks about above, is another of those kits I had no problems with. But, like Kevin many do. I don't consider myself to be a better of builder than most others posting on these blogs. So, why do some have troubles building one kit? And others don't? And then it turns around. A kit the first person finds trouble free. The second won't.

At the same time, I think everybody has problems with Palmer, Pyro, and Premier.

Scott

I think skill is the key, as you say, I enjoy Revell kits .... they build up great if you treat each sub-assembly as a kit within a kit & have patience.The super fine detail of the parts make them both challenging & rewarding.

Taking second and third looks at the pictures, are door cut outs represented raised lines? Or that just the photo?

Scott

I have this AMT Ferrari kit in stock, and just took it out to look again.

The door lines are scribed, but there is a raised blobular "ring" around the scribe-lines, similar to what you'd see if the body were made of clay, and the lines had been scribed with a dull tool, displacing material to the sides of the cut-line. It wasn't corrected in the posted photos, and does indeed appear to be raised lines when viewed from that angle.

The hood is also not opened on the kit body, though an engine is included. The stance of this model is silly high, too.

Again, this kit CAN make a very attractive model. Overall, the body is quite pretty, but it needs a lot of cleanup work, and some corrections.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The door lines are scribed, but there is a raised blobular "ring" around the scribe-lines, similar to what you'd see if the body were made of clay, and the lines had been scribed with a dull tool, displacing material to the sides of the cut-line.

If you look carefully, MOST model car bodies have that effect, to one degree or another--some pretty bad, some almost unnoticeable. I ALWAYS block-sand my door and panel lines to get rid of that, as I discovered that if you don't, it can lead to big problems later in either painting or rubout or both.

Yeah i was just kidding you Snake!Not a real great kit but I did a pretty good job on the paint!

Yeah you did a pretty nice job with that steaming pile of styrene. B):lol: Perhaps it's time to take another look at mine.

Well, AFTER I get some projects I actually WANT to do off the bench, of course. B)

• 2 weeks later...

The worst model kits I have personally built have to be divided into two areas:

General: Any of the MPC flip nose kits, especially the '57 Corvette (the weird, wide rear tires made it even worse) and '53 Ford pickup. I built them in the 80's and hated them. Tried them again a few years ago, still hate them. I do like the regular MPC kits, though.

Specific: Sorry to step on anyone's toes here, but the absolute worst is the Revell 1959 Ford Skyliner. I got it for Christmas as a teenager in 1987 and it still sits unbuilt in 2014 because the parts just didn't work for me. I've tried several times over the years to work on it and it's a disaster.

Specific (runner up): Mr Hobby Volkswagen Karman Ghia Convertible. The body is nicely done, great wheels and tires, but some of the parts, such as the seats and convertible boot are almost rubbery and were impossible to glue down. A poor fitting interior tub that never fit correctly didn't allow for contact with the frame of the car, so it could never be permanently attached. Great tooling, very poor follow through.

Best Model Kits I have personally built: AMT '57 Ford, any JoHan kit, and although it lacks separate exhaust, the Monogram 1958 Ford Thunderbird is by far the easiest and most well done kit I've come across.

Just my opinion...