Model Cars Magazine Forum

CHARLIE ALLEN Dart F/C - Hobby Room Construction - Update 7/14/15

Nitrozilla

Joe,

It looks like a save!!! I'm glad you are making progress with the compound method, I honestly thought it was to far gone for compounding. Good for you!! And I learned something new today :D

Looking forward to the final pictures! Great Job!!!

Jimmy "RASS"

Vince, I was thrilled to find them. Thanx.

Jimmy, that's what this site is all about. Your help has been invaluable.

Bob, I'm pretty jazzed that I can now look forward to doing work I want to do on it instead of using more time doing stripping.

Okay Boyz and Gurlz, if you're unable to go to GSL, I'll see you in a week.

I'll be back on this build with a vengeance and a head full of new info and ideas. Scary, right?

Thanks Randy, it was great to see you again.

Danno, how do you stop smiling long enough to get serious work done? You helped make the auction the hilarious event it was.

Gordon, glad you like it. I'll be redoubling my efforts to put this one on the road.

Folks, my visits to the San Jose NNL and DSC showed me I need to step up my game to be competitive. GSL showed me how to do it. My knowledge of paint techniques tripled thanks to the input from an army of concerned friends. Kinda' like hanging out with DaVinci, Picasso and Rembrandt. Hangin' with John Teresi is like being around Andy Warhol. He could put wheels on a soup can and take Best Paint.

I'm going to have to get as much done in the next couple of weeks as I can because I'll be packing to move at the end of the month. That's when the real fun's going to start. Today I'll be putting away all of the new toys and tools. Tomorrow and Thursday I have personal obligations to fulfill. (Okay fine. I have to catch up on Long Island Medium and Game of Thrones and the Avenger's movie. Happy?) I should be back on it by Friday. I still have to hit the ramp with more Novus polish before laying down the pinstriping.

To paraphrase Jungle Jim, "Model building is faaaaar out, man!!!!!"

Edited by Nitrozilla

Thank you Gene and Tristan. I appreciate you following along.

I should be back on it tomorrow. Allow me to explain today's sidetrack.

As most of you know, I fought the VA for 5 years to get my disability benefits. This was done through the office of Congresswoman Dina Titus' office when things got out of hand. Final resolution was reached in December last year.

I was contacted by her office a couple of days ago and was asked if I would help with a promotional video. Since I was not allowed to buy my representative flowers or buy the staff lunch, I jumped at the chance to pay them back.

We shot the interview today and it went very well. At the end, as I got up from my chair, I heard a woman's voice say, "That was excellent Mr. Goss." When I turned to thank my fan, there stood Dina Titus. I was floored. I thanked her for having a team who actually cares and takes action.

As another gesture of my gratitude, I am donating the U. S. Dart model which will be displayed in a case with a plaque in her office. Yes, I'll get pictures.

All in all, a pretty cool day.

Joe,

Congratulations on your much deserved victory. If my hand could reach that far, I would shake your hand and THANK YOU for your service to our nation. Consider this a long distance hand shake.

As the proud father of a Military Officer (13 years) I know much of the personal sacrifice and the honor Military people have deep within them. Regretfully I never served. I have so much respect for you and all who have Served and are Active Duty.

Donating the Dart gave me goose bumps! I'm sure it will be one of her most prized items that she has ever received.

May all good things come your way!!!

Jimmy "RASS" :D

Thanx Friends. It made me feel good ALLLLLLLL over my booooody. (Johnathan Winters aka Maude Frickert)

I've entered this model in 4 different shows and it never placed, so what better way to retire it?

I appreciate you posting the pic from GSL Danno. Why didn't I think of that?

Okay, back to the subject at hand. Today will be mostly polish work, then on to striping.

Joe,

Good to see you at the last couple of shows. I have to say I'm sorry that I haven't seen this thread until now. I checked the whole thread out, what I really see, besides some good work, is the desire to get better. What you're doing by consulting the best in the country and seeing the work in person is going to get you there so much faster. You can see it just in this thread. I look forward to continuing to watch your progress from now on, and hope to see you soon.

Art

Ray and Gene, I appreciado mucho. It was a pleasure and an honor to serve. Many life lessons I learned in basic and tech school are still with me today.

Art, my one desire is to be able to compete, not just show up. I've said this before ad nauseum, that it's an honor just to have my stuff in the same room. However, it's time for me to get with the program and start knocking out some killer projects.

I'm done polishing on the hauler ramp. Tomorrow I'll polish out the bodies on the Dart and Deora, then it's on to clear before decals and stripes. Also, I think I'll shoot new stripes that lean more toward yellow than gold. Just like Chris on the Vega. Lather, rinse, repeat. Lather, rinse, repeat. Lather, rinse, repeat. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Thanks all for sharing in this wonderful journey with me.

And now to answer the burning question, "Where Oh Where did Zilla get off to?"

Nowhere. Still here. Hello.

f5975269-6aca-4be6-80b6-db16c0d2d3e2.jpg

I've been doing a combination of polishing the model and house hunting. Definitely having more success with the polishing than the hunting. I might even be able to show some results soon. The paint is looking much better and I still have some striping to cut and shoot.

So hang in there folks.

• 2 weeks later...

First an update on the house hunt, then one on the project.

This week I put a bid in on what would have been the perfect home. I got beat out by a cash deal. I'm a novice at this and don't know why cash from a buyer vs. cash from a mortgage company is different. I could have held my own in a bidding war, but wasn't even given the opportunity.

Now, from one disappointment to another, I'm still not happy with the paint on the Dart & Deora. Looks like I'm going to strip them both and shoot with urethane after I move and get my airbrush station set up in a garage.

Sorry for the delay, but I refuse to do another sub par paint job. I said I was stepping up my game, so I'll be darned if I'm going to compromise now.

The first thing I'm doing is to lay in a stock of HOK from TCP Global. Next I'll shoot some test bodies, then when my confidence is regained, WHAM!!!!!

Hang in there y'all. I'm looking at 3 homes today. Cross your fingers for me.