Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Plymouth HEMI 'cuda - B5 Blue, Black Interior, 4-Speed

Mr. Moparman

Imported straight from New Hampshire!

Hey guys! Brandon here today with the start of a new project. This time it's Revell's new 1970 Plymouth HEMI 'cuda.

IMG_0324_zps48c61dcb.jpg

My paint of choice will be "Ice Blue" from Testors. It can be found in their One-Coat Lacquer line of paints. I chose this because it looked to be closer to B5 Blue than any other color I have used in the past. We'll see how that plays out though...

IMG_0325_zpsc8caea04.jpg

And here's the start of the 426 HEMI.

IMG_0326_zpsdc97fb2f.jpg

She's ready for a coat of Mopar HEMI Orange. I'll spray this tomorrow afternoon.

IMG_0327_zpsa12e19c7.jpg

Enjoy!

Looking forward to seeing this one built as I'm partial to B5 blue MOPAR's. For your information you can buy B5 blue paint from the Dodge dealers its now called Surf Blue and cost about the same as a can of Testors. It's nice paint to to work with you can buff it out with out having to use clear coat.

I don't think you're going to like that Icy Blue for B5. I bought a can of it for similar use and it just won't do AT ALL. It's much too light and MUCH too SPARKLY. It looks like a color you might see on a little girl's bicycle, or perhaps on a jazz band's drum set. Since I can't take it back, I'm going to use it as the lighter color on a light blue/dark blue 2-tone paint job.

Don't forget that there is more than one "B5" blue :

- EB5 (1969-1970)

- GB5 (1971-1973)

- KB5 (1974-1975)

- MB5 (1976-19??)

Each one represents a reformulation ; each alpha-prefix indicates the year-of-release ( "E" = 1969 , ad seq. ) . 1969-1970 "B5" is more silvery and has a spank of green to it .

I tried the Inca Gold Testors lacquer for GM Warbonnet Ye

llow and found it to be a bit bright and sparkly for a factory color- will use it for something custom or a 70s style machine- looked like most of the product line was similar

(would be great for a bass boat or dune buggy as well)

69-70 is a little lighter than the '71-'73 shade which in turn is a bit more vibrant and purplish than '74-'75 Lucerne Blue

Edited by ChrisPflug

I tried the Inca Gold Testors lacquer for GM Warbonnet Ye

llow and found it to be a bit bright and sparkly for a factory color- will use it for something custom or a 70s style machine- looked like most of the product line was similar

(would be great for a bass boat or dune buggy as well)

69-70 is a little lighter than the '71-'73 shade which in turn is a bit more vibrant and purplish than '74-'75 Lucerne Blue

Yes, that whole line is QUITE flaky/sparkly and completely unsatisfactory for factory paint jobs (no pun intended). Great for customs, though.

I did a '67 Corvette in the Mythical Maroon. Color's not far off Milano Maroon but MUCH too sparkly. It wasn't one of my "first line" builds so I don't mind that much, and the color's very pretty, it's just not "stock."

REV67Vette102.jpg

REV67Vette104.jpg

REV67Vette108.jpg

BTW, Chris, thanks for the different B5 color pics. I never realized that before. Very informative!

Thanks guys for the concerns with the paint, I'll have to do some tests on a plastic spoon tomorrow. In the meantime, how about some HEMI Orange for ya....

I painted the block and transmission today.

IMG_0328_zps858123a8.jpg

I also detailed the bolt heads on the front of the water pump. I still need to paint the oil filter gloss white.

IMG_0329_zps0e301278.jpg

Enjoy!

Very nice. Be sure to check out the under glass just for 70 cudas. Many cool builds in there. If you are going for a very stock look the bell housing should be orange as well and the water pump was installed before paint so the bolts would be orange. Just food for thought. Off to a great start

Very nice. Be sure to check out the under glass just for 70 cudas. Many cool builds in there. If you are going for a very stock look the bell housing should be orange as well and the water pump was installed before paint so the bolts would be orange. Just food for thought. Off to a great start

Thanks for the feedback! Here's my solution.

"Well, grandson, I had a old 1970 Plymouth HEMI 'cuda, and I remember the transmission going out and I replacing it with a stockish one, and then I remember having the water pump bolts chromed in it's earlier years...."

:lol::P

Updates! Get your updates here!

I wired and plumbed the engine today. I still have to build the fan belt/pulley assembly and mount it to the block, and attach the exhaust manifolds but that will be done all in good time.

IMG_0334_zpsa53d99a5.jpg

As with my previous builds, I painted the carbs a more appropriate shade of aluminum and then added a black wash. Used, but not abused.

IMG_0335_zps7e454182.jpg

Got the Shaker and air cleaner painted today, also I sprayed the exhaust manifolds too. They look silver on camera, but in person it's more of a gunmetal color.

IMG_0336_zps93b1e33a.jpg

I also painted the body and hood. I am in love with this Ice Blue. In my opinion, it's come the closest than anything else to B5 Blue that I can go buy on a store shelf.

IMG_0337_zps3594d270.jpg

Shiny!

IMG_0338_zpsba6eeda4.jpg

And some food for thought.... First one to guess it gets a cookie. :P

IMG_0339_zps422d1ab1.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by Mr. Moparman