Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Guilty Pleasures" Kits?

Geez. I couldn't possibly build multiples of a kit.

Well, when one identifies himself as an addict, a dozen or so is not quite enough! Besides, there are so many different variations you can build, plus after awhile there gets to be a sort of assembly line quality to it. I can assume a sort of zen state when building a kit Ive done a dozen times. Intoxicating zen-ness.

AMT's '49 Ford; '53 F100; '49 Mercury; Old Pro Nova; '36 Ford; '40 Ford; '29 Ford "A" Roadster; '66 Ford Galaxie......

i've built some of them so many times i seldom refer to the instructions anymore. often, i go through the sprues and remove all the parts i don't intend to use and put them in my parts boxes. i have premixed paint for Ford Flatheads, a mixture of bronze and green i think, that i have to replace every couple of years... but i still have no absolute fix for the poor fit of the front fenders on that dang Nova......

Revell should reissue ALL of their "Early Iron" series Monogram stuff in '70's boxing.

IMG_2406-vi.jpg

Since folks were posting pictures of their AMT '32s... Here's my Vicky, of course I opened the doors and did the flip nose myself. A bit o' trivia.... when I was building this I cut up a second body to make the window surrounds you see on the door. I have them in the rear sides and rear glass too. Something you'd never see on the body, when I cut them apart and mated them up with the window on the opposite side of the body, they were different sizes / shapes! I had to massage them to match. So you could tell that the tooling was done by hand in the old days, kinda like the antique night stands I have, where the hand made drawers won't interchange between them!

doodlebug_side-vi.jpg

And here's one of those eternally in progress projects. A '32 Ford Doodlebug. It has a Model A 4 in it too.

So you could tell that the tooling was done by hand in the old days, kinda like the antique night stands I have, where the hand made drawers won't interchange between them!

Has anyone else ever taken a good look at the door lines on the AMT '40 Ford coupe? They're not in the same place! On one side the line runs right up the middle of the B-pillar, on the other, it's very noticeably asymmetrical. When I spotted this, I did some research and discovered that the asymmetrical door cut is actually correct. So I filled the whole rear door line with superglue on the otherside and rescribed the doorline to match the correct one.

Has anyone but me ever done that?

Since it came up, one of my "Guilty Pleasures" is just about any kit designed with the use of metal axles in mind. My big concern with any kit has been how does it look overall sitting on the shelf then it's finished? It's seems like the kits designed with metal axles in mind, were always a little less fussy, and easier to build. And 99% of the time the wheels were straight and stayed on the kit.

I also like chassis that attach to the body via screws. Again, most things lined up and held in place.

Scott

I also like chassis that attach to the body via screws. Again, most things lined up and held in place.

Or the ones that have tabs on one end and just snap into place without glue. As I build I try to engineer the body and chassis to fit close, so they don't require glue. Sometimes I've glued strips of evergreen on the inside of the body between the wheel wells, at the height that the chassis should mate up with them. I like that just in case I need to take them apart to fix something.... yea, I've done the interior repair through the side window thing way too often.

Or the ones that have tabs on one end and just snap into place without glue. As I build I try to engineer the body and chassis to fit close, so they don't require glue. Sometimes I've glued strips of evergreen on the inside of the body between the wheel wells, at the height that the chassis should mate up with them. I like that just in case I need to take them apart to fix something.... yea, I've done the interior repair through the side window thing way too often.

I too never glue the body onto the chassis--or the interior in--unless I just absolutely HAVE to for some reason. I like to pull my models apart every so often, as the mood strikes me, for a thorough cleaning, and touch-up/repair as necessary.

I don't mind metal axles. Like 'em, in fact. I don't even mind the old-school 1-piece chassis as long as I can achieve whatever final ride height and "sit" I'm going for with it, and it doesn't have a molded-in exhaust configuration that conflicts with my specific build intentions.

So sue me. B):lol:

As long as you have some of that special Johan brand oil that doesn't leak out of the axle hole through the pan! :P

Too funny!!!! :lol:

I don't even mind the molded in axels and exhaust, a little fun detail painting where no one ever looks.

DSC04562_zps6ba2a7b3.jpgDSC04173.jpgDSC04125.jpgI will admit, I thought it was a major break through when AMT first introduced the Vicky with it's seperate rear axel and exhaust.

Doesn't AMT's '49 Ford have the single exhaust molded into the chassis, with a nearly exact second exhaust setup to glue in, for dual exhaust? I know for sure it was an older AMT kit. I just can't remember which one for sure.

Scott

The AMT '32 Coupe and Roadster had the single exhaust molded into the chassis, with a nearly exact second exhaust setup to glue in, for dual exhaust as well as the '36 Ford and '40 Fords. The '49 had seperate exhaust.

Edited by rmvw guy

Okay, lemme try to detail my own guilty pleasures list:

MPC '69 Camaro: Four built (five, if you count the Harrell's funny car), with one in the paint shop even as we speak.

AMT '66 Mustangs: Three built, one on the bench, one in "sometime" construction, about to start restoration of a '65 promo (same basic model), NUMEROUS copies of the reissued '66 hardtop and '66 FB funny car in the Snakepile.

AMT '69 Chevelle: Three built, plus one '69 El Camino. One painted ready for assembly (if I can ever find it), planning to do at least one more, several other copies of the kit in the Snakepit.

AMT '25 T: One built as a kid, now being actively restored/rebuilt, new Fruit Wagon in the warm-up circle, at least two unbuilt complete kits, plus two flea market glue bombs for parts--might yield enough good parts to build one complete car, or close to it.

Monogram 1/24 '69 Camaro: Three built, one half-built but currently missing in action, at least two more unbuilt complete kits.

AMT Double Dragster: Only one of the Fiat altereds actually finished (with a Revell Parts Pack Bantam body), but I've owned at least six copies of the kit and still have at least four complete kits--planning to build at least one altered soon. Come to think of it, as a kid I did in fact build both halves of the DD kit, but they were so awful that I disassembled them and still have most of the pieces.

AMT '63-'67 Corvettes: Three actually built lifetime, of which I still have two. Couple years ago I went on an eBay shopping spree and bought at least one coupe and one roadster of each year 63 through 67, either unbuilt kits or restorable glue bombs. I have all the original boxes and instruction sheets, too, except the '65 roadster. Probably close to a dozen repop '63s to use for parts for restoring the rare year glue bombs.

In airplanes:

HAWK/Testor F8F-1 Bearcat: Six built, two under construction, planning to build at least two more on top of that, and would still have unbuilt ones on the shelf.

Monogram P-47D: Three built, one under construction, planning to do several more and have at least three unbuilt kits.

Monogram F4U-4 Corsair: Three built lifetime, two of which were completely rebuilt and currently together and the third is currently being rebuilt. And I'm gonna build at least one more of these backbirths when that one's finished, too.

HAWK/Testor P-51D: Only one actually finished but three currently under construction (more or less) with at least three more planned on top of that.

There are many other kits I have and have even built multiples of but they don't qualify as "guilty pleasures" as I defined the term because they're either good kits (Revell '69 Camaro) or even though they're old and obsolete, nothing else better is or ever has been available (AMT '66 Skylark).

I'm Snake, and I'm powerless over styrene. B):lol:

MPC '64-'67 Vette coupes (although a little more complex than the AMTs)- the first MPC kits

I can see that. While not quite as accurate or detailed as the AMT Sting Rays (and they never had the variety of custom/optional parts), that kit had an amazing chassis for its day. That chassis was also used on the Mako Shark and I think on all the MPC Corvette annuals up through 1982.

I never had an original one, but I've picked up several of the reissued '67s over the years and actually got one far enough along to set it together and photograph it. (Below.)

Couple years ago, in my AMT Corvette buying frenzy on eBay, I ended up with a couple of MPC '65 or '66 builtups in Corvette "junkyards" and multiple-model deals. I think I've got enough original MPC stuff to get one good '65 or '66 stocker together, and then one as a racer or custom of some sort. And then I've got the several '67 reissues for parts.

MPC67Vette.jpg

gh_front1-vi.jpg

Another one of mine... the old Monogram Green Hornet kit. Above is a box stock build that I bought from a friend as you see it.

DSC00229-vi.jpg

I also own this one, which was built by NJ modeler, Mike Havranek, who passed away a few years ago. I bought it from his estate sale.

MVC008F-vi.jpg

Here's one of my works using this kit. I used the chassis as a base to build this Beverley Hillbillies kit version.

modela1-vi.jpg

I've played a bit with this chassis on a bunch of different bodies.... Model A or '32 roadster body..

phaeton_rear-vi.jpg

Model T phaeton body.. everything seems to fit and maybe cause one more model to be built!

MVC002F-vi.jpg

This pickup from the Revell Model A pickup / woody wagon kit... I actually have this one in progress with it's own chassis coming too.

DSC00011-vi.jpg

Same with the shortened woody! Note that I left the length that I cut out of the body as a sun visor.

I have the above two in progress with different engines and such. The pickup will have the Ford flathead from the Tom Daniel Pie Wagon, with the three carb scoops. The other may have the '53 Studebaker kit's hemi with the dual blowers. Just having fun, and I have another 4 of this kit on my shelf just waiting for more inspiration.