Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Guilty Pleasures" Kits?

The ancient AMT '29 Ford kit continues to inspire more and more builds too. This is a 4-banger powered lakes car, circa November 1941.

DSCN7074_zps78696b44.jpg

A traditional "A-V8", flathead powered full-fendered model A roadster...

DSCN3903.jpg

And a nailhead-powered '29 roadster on '32 rails.

DSCN8096.jpg

There's also an early lakes streamliner based on this kit just starting, and another lowboy-style hot rod.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Revell's Police/Fire Chief/Taxi, Chevrolet Caprice as well as it's successor the Impala SS. I have built upwards of 30 of them now.

Revell's late model Mustang kit, 6 so far.

Revell's 32 Ford, 4 and counting.

Revell's 90 Mustang LX, 2 so far.

DML's Panzer III series, 4 so far, 4 in the wings.

DML's M4A3 Sherman, 2 built with plans for 3 more.

G

Revell's Police/Fire Chief/Taxi, Chevrolet Caprice as well as it's successor the Impala SS. I have built upwards of 30 of them now.

Revell's late model Mustang kit, 6 so far.

Revell's 32 Ford, 4 and counting.

Revell's 90 Mustang LX, 2 so far.

DML's Panzer III series, 4 so far, 4 in the wings.

DML's M4A3 Sherman, 2 built with plans for 3 more.

G

Are those all really "bad" old kits? I was under the impression that most of them were pretty nice.

We're mainly talking here about substandard old junk that we can't resist building anyway, despite its flaws, and the fact that a much better kit of the subject is available.

gh_front1-vi.jpg

Another one of mine... the old Monogram Green Hornet kit. Above is a box stock build that I bought from a friend as you see it.

DSC00229-vi.jpg

I also own this one, which was built by NJ modeler, Mike Havranek, who passed away a few years ago. I bought it from his estate sale.

MVC008F-vi.jpg

Here's one of my works using this kit. I used the chassis as a base to build this Beverley Hillbillies kit version.

modela1-vi.jpg

I've played a bit with this chassis on a bunch of different bodies.... Model A or '32 roadster body..

I have the above two in progress with different engines and such. The pickup will have the Ford flathead from the Tom Daniel Pie Wagon, with the three carb scoops. The other may have the '53 Studebaker kit's hemi with the dual blowers. Just having fun, and I have another 4 of this kit on my shelf just waiting for more inspiration.

It was way before my time but it's my understanding that the Green Hornet was based on a real car (I've seen photos of it) that was kind of a triple threat street/show/drag altered car. I bought a couple of these reissues and I'm planning to build one pretty much OOB but as a dedicated early '60s drag altered. It'll be part of my planned "History of the T-Rod and Kits of It" series.

Edited by Snake45

My Guilty Pleasure kits are really more subject-related versus manufacture-related :

- AMT 1953 F-100

- Monogram 1955 F-100

- Revell 1956 F-100

The latter of those three is an undisputed pile ... but its finer points have always sucked me back in , no matter how many failled attempts I've made over the years to assemble one that was "look-at-this" worthy ! Admittidly , my last attempt at that dinosaur was 27 years ago (!!) . I finally had its bed-to-cab-back gap dialled-in ; laid down a sweet Cherry Red paint job ; and had the Pontiac engine looking respectable ...

... then on 1st Oct 1987 @ 0742 HRS , all of that work --and about 85% of my collection-- was destroyed by an earthquake .

- MPC 1973-1976 Duster and Dart Sport annuals / reissues

- Monogram 1970 Chevelle SS-454 ; 1970 Boss 429 ; 1970 GTX 440 Six Barrel ; 1970 Challenger T/A ; 1969 1/2 Super Bee Six Pack ; 1971 Hemi'Cuda hardtop

From their introduction in c.1982 until c.1992 , I built untold numbers and versions of those classic kits. At one point in 1986/1987 , Kay-Bee Toys was selling the Challenger and Super Bee kits for 99 cents ! That was an absolute steal even back then !

- MPC 1976-1978 Pinto and Mustang II annuals

The 1976 annual was one of my very first glue kits . I was 6 years old and had finally graduated from snaps ; the 1976 Pinto Sportabout box art grabbed my attention , sitting on the shelf at the local Market Basket . IIRC , its price was $3.25 .

As of recent , I've grabbed a couple of the Monogram 1955 F-100 kits ; I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of the AMT 1953 F-100 ; and I have been toying with the idea of buying one of those dreaded Revell 1956 F-100 kits ...

... hopefully mother nature will favour my efforts with that kit this go'round .

It was way before my time but it's my understanding that the Green Hornet was based on a real car (I've seen photos of it) that was kind of a triple threat street/show/drag altered car. I bought a couple of these reissues and I'm planning to build one pretty much OOB but as a dedicated early '60s drag altered. It'll be part of my planned "History of the T-Rod and Kits of It" series.

GrassHopper-vi.jpg

It was a 1:1 called The Grasshopper

greenhornet-vi.jpg

The model is very true to the original. Don't know why they renamed the kit.

Yeah, that's it! I've also seen a photo of it on a street that the original Monogram box art that was obviously based on.

The green looks different in the above two photos. I'm going for the shade in the upper photo. I gotta figure out a way to mix that shade up.

Here's another one of those some what funky kits that I have grown to love. I don't remember what it was called. I do remember it had a big plastic gear for the rear axle and a small one to put on an electric motor with plenty of room under seats for instalation.DSC05186_zps2d5352ef.jpg

I really like the old Deuce kits too. Here are a few I built.

AMT original-issue roadster

dscn3089.jpg

dscn3090.jpg

dscn3084.jpg

AMT original-issue roadster

dscn3054.jpg

dscn2509.jpg

dscn2510.jpg

Yes, that's the bottle from the paint I used when I built this car maybe 7 or 8 years ago!

AMT original-issue roadster. I only finished this one, somebody else started it when the kit was new.

dscn3041.jpg

AMT original-issue 5-window coupe

dscn3055.jpg

Monogram Drag Strip Hot Rod (SSP reissue)

dscn3053.jpg

Another of my guilty pleasures has been collecting all the AMT Corvette Stingrays from '63 to '67. Even though the Revell kits are much better I still prefer the AMT originals. I got my first in 1963 as a 13 year old kid. I remember the opening lights on the convertible never repeated again. Every year I would buy the new model untill 1967. I guess at 17 I was more interested in 1:1 cars. Misteriously I did buy a '68 model. I craved the original AMT '67 most of my adult life and finally found a coupe body in someone's junk pile for $1 back in the '80s. Last year I spotted an unbuilt AMT '67 for $135, too much for me so, I instead bought a terribly built $25 '67 convertible for parts and managed to finally get the '67 of my dreams. I should have went for the $135 offering. Anyway here they are in all their glory.DSC06299_zps77d50997.jpgDSC06296_zps0804caf8.jpgDSC06290_zps6678982a.jpgDSC06294_zps669ab68b.jpgDSC06257_zps2dad1691.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

Nice collection Don! I love the 15 cent bottle of Testors. That first roadster has to be from the same kit as mine. I like your version better.

Thank you. I think your kit might be an old Lindberg Deuce, but I'm not completely sure.

So youre the one that built that first one, Don. I've got that pic saved, I really dig it!

Thanks!