Model Cars Magazine Forum

'50 Chevy Zr-1 Pickup

Raul_Perez

For those of you who can still remember the pages of Plastic Fanatic, (the precursor to Model Car Magazine), here's one you may have seen that I've had "Under Glass" for a little over 12 years now. It's a 1950 Chevy pickup done, yes, in a Corvette theme. (Yes, I know, I've done a few of them that way...)

Here you can see the front fender extensions and the headlights that I used from a '53 Vette. To make it look a bit more modern, I slightly recessed the headlight lenses. I also molded the bumper/roll pan into the body and lowered the grill down about 1/16" to fit flush with the pan. The front end of the hood was extended down to match the lowered grill.

DSC03862-vi.jpg

Here's how it looks with the hood tilted forward.

DSC03873-vi.jpg

Here you can see the "teardropped" rear fenders and the lower portion of the '94 ZR-1 rear bumper and exhaust.

DSC03887-vi.jpg

Here's the '94 ZR-1 Vette engine. It took a "bit" of work to shoe-horn it into the engine bay, but it's all in there.

DSC03877-vi.jpg

DSC03869-vi.jpg

It also has the dash, center console and seats from the '94 ZR-1.

DSC03883-vi.jpg

The frame is from the '50 Chevy truck, but I put all of the '94 ZR-1 suspension, driveline and exhaust under it.

DSC03870-vi.jpg

Well, I hope that you liked this old dog. It's been kicking around my display case for a long time.

Regards,

Edited by Raul_Perez

That looks great!!! I'm doing the same thing to AMT's '55 pickup kit. No painting done, just fitting in the interior. I have a problem with the kit's windows too. the windshield just falls right through the opening. It has very rough edges, and not much frame, so I think it's mis-molded.

96int6.jpg

96int1.jpg

Edited by kustombuilder1

FAR OUT, MAN. (an older build deserves an older accolade.)

you can really tell your are a talented body man. your ideas and execution are first class.

i would love to bring my old 60 f100 out to california and let you have a go.

one thing though, having built (street rodded) two 3100s, a '54 and a '55 (series 1), i would guess that you would have to be a very thin individual to sit behind the wheel. :huh:

keep showin us those older builds.

Nice old build! THANK YOU for not using the ZR1 taillights like everybody and their brother uses on old trucks! :lol: Your Vette theme is just the right amount of Vette parts in the right places to work out perfect. With the exception of the wheels, the whole package is timeless. They are the only thing tying the build to the nineties. Wheels are funny like that, even in the 1:1 world. There are many cars out there, if you changed the wheels every say, 10 years, they would remain eternally fresh. :huh: Too bad it isn't always as easy in the scale world! :lol:

That looks great!!! I'm doing the same thing to AMT's '55 pickup kit. No painting done, just fitting in the interior. I have a problem with the kit's windows too. the windshield just falls right through the opening. It has very rough edges, and not much frame, so I think it's mis-molded.

KB1,

Here's the 57 Cameo that I did last year with a Vette theme.

57ChevyPickup16-vi.jpg

I used the 94 ZR-1 interior in that one, too. That dash fits really well in there with little modification. I found a picture of a ZR-1 dash assembly on eBay, reduced it down and used it for this one. That's much easier than trying to paint all of those details...

As you found, the windshield glass is too small for the opening. That is one of the problems with the 55 and 57 kits. The way I fixed mine was to glue a small strip of plastic to the lower edge of the glass, about 0.030 if I remember, and trim to fit. After the BMF is applied you'll never notice that it was fixed.

Good luck,

Edited by Raul_Perez

These kits are really neat. I don't know how you do that body work. I have a hard enough time just trying to put a bump on a car. The finish of your cars is also excellent. Next one you need to do is to get one of the big 7 liter Corvette V-8 motors. And make a truck with that. Maybe doing a racing theme version. :lol:

These kits are really neat. I don't know how you do that body work. I have a hard enough time just trying to put a bump on a car. The finish of your cars is also excellent. Next one you need to do is to get one of the big 7 liter Corvette V-8 motors. And make a truck with that. Maybe doing a racing theme version. :lol:

Ask and you shall receive, my young friend!! :lol::lol::lol:

The first picture is one that Gregg took at the NNL West of my 57 Chevy Cameo pickup done in a Vette theme. It has the 7.0L Z06 engine, drive train and transaxle all stuffed in there!! :lol:

57ChevyPickup02-vi.jpg

57ChevyPickup12-vi.jpg

Hmmm...a race version...that just might be possible...

Edited by Raul_Perez

Paul......"The Corvette truck guy!!!!" I remember that one in the magazine!!! Way before the internet became the best way to share our passion (or obsession) Cool truck Paul!!! Oh, and yes I remember Plastic Fanatic, I had several builds in the very last issue!!!

Paul......"The Corvette truck guy!!!!" I remember that one in the magazine!!! Way before the internet became the best way to share our passion (or obsession) Cool truck Paul!!! Oh, and yes I remember Plastic Fanatic, I had several builds in the very last issue!!!

Hey, how about that, there's someone out there as old as I am... My sons think that anyone who can remember back before the days of the internet must have been hanging out with Moses! :):lol:

I'll check that last issue for your builds. It's been a while since I dragged those old magazines out of the closet...

WOW! What a cool build! That LT-5 looks right at home!

I second the vote: Raul "the Corvette truck guy" Perez... :)

You guys are too funny!! :lol::lol::lol: Maybe I'll have to dust of the '64 Chevy truck that I also started with, yes, a ZR-1 engine and interior... :lol::lol::lol: And then there's the '55 Chevy stepside I started with a ZR-1 engine and interior...

DSC03551-vi.jpg

ChevyPickup04-vi.jpg

See, I've got as many "started" projects that ended up back in the box as the rest of you!! :lol:

Great build of a great kit.

Still one of my favorites.

Looked even better in person, Raul!

Correction though, I still own Plastic Fanatic.

It is the mag I took over from Roy, before I started Model Cars.

Long story, it gets confusing, but they are two distinct mags.

It's like saying Toy Cars and Models was Model Car Journal, if you know the story behind that one :-)

I remember doing the fix on the door windows years ago with the help of our local club guys here.

Bringing back memories....

Great build of a great kit.

Still one of my favorites.

Looked even better in person, Raul!

Correction though, I still own Plastic Fanatic.

It is the mag I took over from Roy, before I started Model Cars.

Long story, it gets confusing, but they are two distinct mags.

It's like saying Toy Cars and Models was Model Car Journal, if you know the story behind that one :-)

I remember doing the fix on the door windows years ago with the help of our local club guys here.

Bringing back memories....

Gregg,

Thanks for the compliments on the truck!!

The problem with the door windows on 55 Chevy pickup cab is why I never finished the step-side one in the picture. The corrected 57 cab came out right after I started building it, so I just put it all back in the box for another day...

So, does that mean that someday I'll get the remaining copies from my subscription to PF?! :lol::lol::lol: Or, do I have to ask Roy about that?! :lol::lol::lol: We don't see much of him anymore, now that he's married... I still see Rex at all of the shows.

Are you coming to the NNL West in March?

Regards,

Hey "Corvette Truck Guy"...when ya gonna build a 1950-55 Ford pick'em up truck with the guts out of one of those Revell 2006 Mustang kits?

The blue oval needs some of your attention :blink:

c'ya

Actually, I have been looking at the Revell re-release of the 50 Ford pickup, and I have been known to jam the Mustang engine, drivetrain and interior into a few other models... Then I could be Mr. SVT!! :blink::lol::lol:

Too funny for me!! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Actually, I have been looking at the Revell re-release of the 50 Ford pickup, and I have been known to jam the Mustang engine, drivetrain and interior into a few other models... Then I could be Mr. SVT!! :P;)B)

Too funny for me!! ;)

Don't screw around with smallblocks.....go SOHC it to me!!!!

Don't screw around with smallblocks.....go SOHC it to me!!!!

You're probably right...a SOHC would really look at home and fill up that huge engine bay on an old truck. I like building both engines. I guess it all would come down to what the theme of the truck is..."Mighty Muscle" or "Modern Muscle".

Thanks for the ideas,

• 8 months later...