Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hawk Midget Replica in Brass

Art Laski

Nice progress here. Art, do you have a paint plan for the frame?

Michael

Michael,

I have started thinking about the paint. Right now I'm thinking that I'm going to paint the chassis with Alclad Gunmetal, and clear that with Omni urethane clear. First, I'll clean it real well, then use some self-etching primer. I'm sure I'll be filling in some areas and hitting it with some Tamiya primer too while doing the clean up. That's what I'm thinking, anyway, but open to suggestions...

Danno, John, Chris, Jonathan-

Thanks for looking guys. I have been making progress, but not much to show. I replaced all the 1/16 tubing I had used for the tie rod spuds on the axle and frame with 3/64. I wasn't entirely happy with the thicker tube, but was willing to use it because I didn't know I would find thinner tubing. But I stumbled across some 3/64 tubing that is more to scale, so replaced all those spuds. I'm hoping to get back on it after the NNL West this weekend.

-Art

Nice going Art. Your brass fabbing is just fantastic. I struggle still to get my tinning skills up to your level. You've got it mastered already. I'm hopeful by the time I get Henry done, I'll have the hang of it. Keep this wonderful build going and any insights on your techniques along the way are ALWAYS appreciated!

Cheers, Tim

Art, I guess I fell asleep on this one... :wacko:

Didn't pick up this project until I read your response to Vince's NNL West thread.

Very Very Nice...I did a little playing around with brass also, found it to be fun to work with.

Sorry I missed seeing you and Paul at the NNL West, talked to Johnny T. a little

thanx for sharing

c'ya B)

Art, it's a nightmare looking at all of those joints! Plus, they're all so clean! It's sick.

Question: Can you give some insight, which are tubes, which are solid? Do you apply different temp solders?

I'm a novice, and I admire your skills and am quite grateful....that I don't have to copy this! lol. You, and others that have replied here have offered so much detail and how to do's, thanks for showing!

Michael

Nice going Art. Your brass fabbing is just fantastic. I struggle still to get my tinning skills up to your level. You've got it mastered already. I'm hopeful by the time I get Henry done, I'll have the hang of it. Keep this wonderful build going and any insights on your techniques along the way are ALWAYS appreciated!

Cheers, Tim

Thanks, Tim! You're selling yourself short on your brass work. The J looks fantastic to me!

Art, I guess I fell asleep on this one... :wacko:

Didn't pick up this project until I read your response to Vince's NNL West thread.

Very Very Nice...I did a little playing around with brass also, found it to be fun to work with.

Sorry I missed seeing you and Paul at the NNL West, talked to Johnny T. a little

thanx for sharing

c'ya B)

Thanks, Curt! Did you forget the convo we had about your Bike with the brass frame while you were waiting for MCM to photograph it? ;) It was a long day... It's a great model, my friend.

Art this is such an awesome project. I love Midgets. Did your brother go the Chilli bowl this year? I know his car appears to be set up for pavement, but I thought I would ask.

Hey Ed, thanks for the compliment! You are correct in that it is a pavement car. He ran some regional USAC pavement stuff in the Indiana area, but that series is no more, so the car sits today...

My dad took a midget to the Chili Bowl in '95 with Paul McMahan driving, but he crashed in practice and totaled the car.

Art, it's a nightmare looking at all of those joints! Plus, they're all so clean! It's sick.

Question: Can you give some insight, which are tubes, which are solid? Do you apply different temp solders?

I'm a novice, and I admire your skills and am quite grateful....that I don't have to copy this! lol. You, and others that have replied here have offered so much detail and how to do's, thanks for showing!

Michael

Michael,

Thank you for looking... Most of the build is rod. The only place I used tube is on the anti-roll tubes on the end, and for the radius rod spuds and bumper spuds.

IMG_1514red-vi.jpg

Thanks, Curt! Did you forget the convo we had about your Bike with the brass frame while you were waiting for MCM to photograph it? ;) It was a long day... It's a great model, my friend.

Holy Cow, you're right...I talked to so many people this year, the brain has not processed who and when yet, but I do remember talking to you. :unsure:

Are you guys going to Salt Lake in April? I'm hoping to make it this year, never been... :mellow:

Edited by curt raitz

Holy crapola!! How have I missed this stunning work of Art? What you have done is quite simply amazing. You've got skills Art. Probably some you didn't even realize you had. You've got me thinking brass frames in the future. I'm dialed in and in the front row with my bucket of popcorn.

Hope you're planning on coming to DSC10 in April.

Holy Cow, you're right...I talked to so many people this year, the brain has not processed who and when yet, but I do remember talking to you. :unsure:

Are you guys going to Salt Lake in April? I'm hoping to make it this year, never been... :mellow:

Curt,

John, Paul Cadwell and I are planning to head over to GSL together. It will be my third GSL, and I think you'll enjoy it it a lot.

Holy crapola!! How have I missed this stunning work of Art? What you have done is quite simply amazing. You've got skills Art. Probably some you didn't even realize you had. You've got me thinking brass frames in the future. I'm dialed in and in the front row with my bucket of popcorn.

Hope you're planning on coming to DSC10 in April.

Tthanks, Brad! Glad you found me. I really appreciate the compliments. I definitely am learning new skills along the way on this one, that's for sure. I am, indeed, planning to be at DSC this year!

I finished up the axle kingpins on both sides, and fabbed up the drag link and got it all mocked up with the dirt modeler spindles.

I also replaced all the 1/16" spuds that the radius rods mounted to with some smaller 3/64" tube to get that a little more in scale. I wasn't happy with the larger tube, but I honestly didn't know that I was going to find any tubing that was smaller. But since I did, I had to make it right. Here are some progress pics.

IMG_2024-vi.jpg

IMG_2023-vi.jpg

IMG_2011-vi.jpg

IMG_2012-vi.jpg

IMG_2021-vi.jpg

IMG_2027-vi.jpg

OMG Art. Are you sure you've not worked in brass before? Amazing update. Will you please disclose your source for the small diameter brass tubing and rod? Also, is that a Dirt Modeler straight axle? I've been trying to order one but they are out of stock and have been for some time.