Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '69 Chevrolet Corvair

plus didn't those advent rebox kits not include the plating on their chrome trees? seems to me that's what I have read here on one forum or another

jb

Hit and miss - some of them still had chrome plating, others didn't. Not sure how Revell decided which Advent kits got actual chrome. My brother's Advent 1957 Ranchero also had actual chrome.

The Advent Anglia and Thames panel truck gassers I had didn't include plated parts, nor does my Porsche 911 ("plated" tree was molded in silver in all three). The '29 Ford pickup and John Buttera '27 Ford touring do have plated parts.

Be nice to see a comparison of the tires in the previous Classics/Prestige series releases to see if something better is in the new kit. As well as the decals included. I expect and hope the plastic parts are the same as the Classic series release as that had everything possible in it, including the top boot. I think the missing chrome turbo parts and other wheel options like the Fitch Sprint Hands wheels are long gone as other parts replaced these on the chrome sprue. I haven't ordered one yet as I have at least a dozen of the classic and prestige kits around. I'll eventually pick up a couple. Do have 4 of the funny cars coming.

I just ordered mine, and I really hope it's worth the wait.

If you've seen any version of this kit since 1965, I doubt there will be any surprises.

If you've never seen the kit before, you might be pleasantly surprised, also maybe a little disappointed in a few areas. But overall this is a fun build, which can be done in several interesting ways, and really looks like a Corvair when finished. Have fun with it!

Edited by Snake45

If you've seen any version of this kit since 1965, I doubt there will be any surprises.

If you've never seen the kit before, you might be pleasantly surprised, also maybe a little disappointed in a few areas. But overall this is a fun build, which can be done in several interesting ways, and really looks like a Corvair when finished. Have fun with it!

I have the 1965 and 1966 versions, the 1969, four previous releases, and a Prestige Series version.

From the pics in the auction it looks to ba a straight reissue of the classic series kit. The decals are copies of the 1969 sheet. Same poor tires as the prestige and classic series issues so off to Modelhaus for factory stock builds. The one thing different on the chrome sprue is the heat shield for the turbocharger is now back. The chrome turbo intake crossover and chrome turbo aircleaner are still missing, as is the unplated turbo carb. Although no turbo option was available after the 1966 model year these parts would be nice to have back. All of the Yenko and Fitch Sprint parts are there except for open steel wheels for the Yenko and Hands mags for the Sprint..

From the pics in the auction it looks to ba a straight reissue of the classic series kit. The decals are copies of the 1969 sheet. Same poor tires as the prestige and classic series issues so off to Modelhaus for factory stock builds. The one thing different on the chrome sprue is the heat shield for the turbocharger is now back. The chrome turbo intake crossover and chrome turbo aircleaner are still missing, as is the unplated turbo carb. Although no turbo option was available after the 1966 model year these parts would be nice to have back. All of the Yenko and Fitch Sprint parts are there except for open steel wheels for the Yenko and Hands mags for the Sprint..

The Yenko Stinger logos are missing.

Hopefully, there will be a few resin conversions available for this kit.

Aside from the obvious turbo parts, what would you like to see? I always thought the AMT Corvair, with the Fitch Sprint and Yenko top pieces, and all the customizing goodies, was a pretty complete and versatile kit.

Aside from the obvious turbo parts, what would you like to see? I always thought the AMT Corvair, with the Fitch Sprint and Yenko top pieces, and all the customizing goodies, was a pretty complete and versatile kit.

Pretty much the way I see it, but both the convertable and 4 door hardtop bodies are available allready.

Pretty much the way I see it, but both the convertable and 4 door hardtop bodies are available allready.

If there are any resin conversions to be made for this new Vair, I'm hoping for a '65 coupe and '65 convertible, and possibly a '66 Corsa coupe. Modelhaus already offers the '66 and '67 Sport Sedans and '66 Corsa promos. It would be nice to build a model of my own full-size 1965 Monza 110 Powerglide convertible.

Edited by 250 Testa Rossa

It would be nice to see a new tool. The old kit, while nice, is a bit long in the tooth. It would be great done with today's detail.

Yeah, but I don't think there's enough general interest in Corvair that that's gonna happen. And if it did, they'd find some way to screw it up.

I'm just happy that the old kit is still available and in reasonably good shape.

Well, aside from the funnycar version, you could build a "late" Corvair to replicate one with the "Kelmark" or "Crown" mid-engine V-8 conversion.

One of my 1:1 Corvairs had the Kelmark kit with bored-out Chevy 283 coupled with the original Corvair transaxle. The kit included a special adapter plate to mate the V-8 with the Vair transaxle.

I've seen a few models over the years where someone has stuck a V-8 in a Corvair, but I've never seen one where it's been a "proper" one with the Corvair transaxle. I have one in the works, but too many projects, too little time.

post-10758-0-86591600-1419606429_thumb.jpost-10758-0-25096000-1419606550_thumb.j

Edited by ToyLvr