Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who needs $800 million bucks, anyway?

Harry P.

The story is Virgin president Richard Branson offered Led Zeppelin an $800 million contract to do a 35 date world wide reunion tour. John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, and Jason Bonham were in... but Plant reportedly tore up the contract! :o

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2014/11/10/robert-plant-reportedly-tears-up-800-million-led-zeppelin-reunion-contract/

There was no problem, really. That last "reunion" show in London was just a one shot deal up front, everyone knew/agreed to that. There was no tour attached to that deal.

I know none of those four actually need the money, but you have to wonder if Jones, Page, and Bonham aren't just the tiniest bit peeved with Plant? :P

John Bonham is dead. His death ended Led Zepplin. For that reason, as Robert Plant has stated several times, there will never be a reunion. Though he's done other projects with members, he'll never agree to a project labeled Led Zepplin. He says it would be a dishonor to Bonham.

I mean, dude, that's like, only $200 million a piece. Like, what can you do with only $200 million anyway?

That reminds me of the old SNL skit from years ago on an episode where George Harrison was the musical guest. In a skit with George and Lorne Michaels, Lorne told George that he had a check made out to "THE BEATLES" for $3,000 (shows the check to the camera)... and he tells George that if the Beatles reunite for just one appearance on SNL he would pay them three grand.

George looked at him sort of disgustedly and says in his great British accent something like "Three thousand dollars? For a reunion of the Beatles? That seems a bit chintzy"...

So Lorne gets flustered and repeats that he's willing to pay them three THOUSAND dollars, and to sweeten the pot he tells George, "Look, you guys can split this up any way you like. If you want to give Ringo a smaller share that's ok"...

It was hilarious, because they both played the skit perfectly straight and didn't break character at all.

And the story is that John and Paul were at John's apartment in the Dakota in NYC that night and were actually watching the show and almost went down to the studio to surprise Lorne Micheals, but at the last minute decided not to go.

I mean, dude, that's like, only $200 million a piece. Like, what can you do with only $200 million anyway?

Not that much at current tax rates. And lawyers, as soon as they learn of you, will come after the rest (a JD degree is a license to hunt money). You probably couldn't afford to quit your day job. B):lol::lol:

I heard he told Branson to give him 48 hours to think about, while the others agreed immediately. When the 2 met again, he tore the contract up, in Richards face and a few choice words, that basically meant no!

Yes, that's the story I heard, too. The other three were like "heck yeah, sign me up!" while Plant was a little tougher to convince... I guess Plant didn't have a "whole lotta love" for the idea and left his bandmates dazed and confused... :lol:

John Bonham is dead. His death ended Led Zepplin. For that reason, as Robert Plant has stated several times, there will never be a reunion. Though he's done other projects with members, he'll never agree to a project labeled Led Zepplin. He says it would be a dishonor to Bonham.

I guess... but IMO who better to replace John Bonham than his own son?

If I was Robert Plant, I would have gone ahead with the tour, done it in honor of John Bonham, and donated the proceeds to a charity of the Bonham family's choice. A win-win. The fans get to see Zeppelin again, John Bonham's legacy is honored by his son, and a worthy charity gets a nice chunk of money.

I really don't like Zeppelin, but what I hate even more is "so-and-so is dead, so is the band" mentality.

I keep hearing this about so many bands, mostly The Who and Zep... People want the Stones to fade away, as well, but I figure if you can still get up on the stage, full an auditorium or stadium, and sing, go for it and make some gold (that's a touchy subject for the Stones, is gold.... :/)

Can you sing "Communication Breakdown" without hurting yourself? :lol:

If so... send Branson an email and tell him you'll do the vocals on the tour. :lol:

Jack Russell the former singer for Great White used to be able to pull it off. Not sure if his fight with the demons is over yet or not.

My favorite from these guys . I think this is the song that Plant said he sounds more like me than I do, after he heard it.

Edited by 1930fordpickup

Can you sing "Communication Breakdown" without hurting yourself? :lol:

If so... send Branson an email and tell him you'll do the vocals on the tour. :lol:

Honestly, I don't know if even Plant can sing it without hurting himself any more. 40+ years of that plus who knows what else probably have had to take a toll on his vocal cords.

Unless Jason sucks. I don't know him, but maybe the kid's a clubber.

I retract this statement. This from Wiki...

Jason Bonham (born 15 July 1966), a rock drummer who has gained success with various bands including UFO, Foreigner, and Bonham. He previously played in a band called Black Country Communion which included Glenn Hughes, Derek Sherinian, and Joe Bonamassa.

Anybody who plays with Joe Bonamassa is not afforded the luxury of sucking.

Don't like Led Zeppelin??!! THATS BLASPHOMY!! lol :lol: Stairway, Immigrant Song, Levy Break, Misty Mountain Hop..... come on man!!!! Whats NOT to like?? Maybe Branson should offer them to play to him standing on a bigger bail of money. For that kind of cash, I would have played "Stairway" with chopsticks and rubber bands on the spot!!! :D

Edited by bismarck