Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1970 Challenger T/A Rebuild-Under Glass 03-13

mustang1989

Oh I think it's coming out great, for not having done much in the way of automotive stuff I would say you are nailing this build. Before you glue the grille in I would put a little black in the fender corners behind the foil on the grille side of things by the outboard headlights. Look in the mock up pics, you can see a little body color there. Hate to have you notice it later.

Oh I think it's coming out great, for not having done much in the way of automotive stuff I would say you are nailing this build. Before you glue the grille in I would put a little black in the fender corners behind the foil on the grille side of things by the outboard headlights. Look in the mock up pics, you can see a little body color there. Hate to have you notice it later.

I noticed that as well. There have been a couple of set backs with this build with the drivers seat coming loose being the most severe. Sheesh! Same stuff happens in the aircraft modeling world though. lol

Lee and Tom: Thanks fellas! I hear what you're sayin' Tom. On one hand I'm going to be glad to have this one behind me and on the other I don't want it to end either! lol

Fred: Epoxy on the seats................got it! I'll never go through that junk with the seats falling out again!

Dan and Carl: Hopefully I can have some noteworthy progress this morning to have pics to post. I'm a little under the weather sSic_sneeze_zpse3ea8af5.gifbut still kickin'. I hear you on that Carl. Can't hear the starter turning over yet though because the ballast resistor aint hooked up yet. :lol:

Edited by mustang1989

Well it aint leaps and bounds but after 35 grueling minutes I've got the windshield wiper motor and ballast resistor wired up. Carl, we're ready to crank this bad boy up. No charging system yet but it'll crank! lol

FSCN1327_zpsasu1x0vj.jpg

and I don't have the complete pic of it yet but I installed the exhaust yesterday.

FSCN1329_zpsysnmn4tr.jpg

Man, you have definitely inspired my future T/A build! I just got it in the mail actually...not quite a glue bomb but it was assembled very nicely and wasn't painted at all. I also bought a box of "extra" T/A parts combined of 3 Challenger kits and honestly I can build an entire car with the parts box and the body of the assembled kit. Here's a few pics of what I have:

20150303_183001.jpg

20150303_183039.jpg

20150303_191620.jpg

20150303_191636.jpg

If you are missing a part or break something (God forbid), I will probably have a replacement part for ya :)

If you are missing a part or break something (God forbid), I will probably have a replacement part for ya :)

This'll be freekin' cool!!sSig_Muahaha_zps56835599.gif I can't wait to see this one being built for sure! I had to laugh (in a good way) about the statement you wrote above. I bought my fourth kit for this build today for the rear bumper..............................only!!! My original bumper is toastemotion-8.gif, the 1st replacement bumper I damaged myself when cutting it from the spruesicon_sAng_hissyfit_zpswrtdfsd9.gif and the second replacement bumper is pitted from the factory! icon_free-sign-smileys-1010_zps84ab39f3.(and it'll take forever for Revell to send me the replacement-which I'm still gonna pursue-and I would have been that much longer finishing this build). The third kit is the Revell Challenger kit # 85-4213 (which comes in mighty handy for this build with a few of the extra goodies) and the fourth I bought today at Michaels with a 40% off coupon in hand for a total of $12.98. When I initially read your post (I'm talking about the first sentence) I was going to tell you if you need any extra parts to let me know but.................I see you have that covered!!! lol

Thanks Mike! LOL.

As far as updates this morning, I installed the voltage regulator on the firewall with the circuitry and installed the heater hoses. I still have to work with the heater hoses in terms of touch up and "natural lay" but I've got 'em on there nonetheless.

FSCN1333_zps5r8nzdel.jpg

a little closer....

RSCN1336_zpsutrjkquv.jpg

When I sit back and compare my mock up car to the car-to-finish I can't help but notice the contrast between what came from the box and what is here. A blank slate from the factory.....wow. At least half of what I added should have been there from Revell. Oh well ....shoulda , coulda , woulda..........

OOB firewall:

RSCN1348_zpsoczoaims.jpg

upgraded firewall:

RSCN1347_zpswi6oemlt.jpg

Thanks Tom! You're right about the clamps.sSig_DOH.gif_zpsiyz57xcc.png You know it happens to me every time in a build. I get near the end and get in a hurry and for whatever reason, forget stuff like this.icon_bagoverhead_zpsujrjn7sd.gif I took a step backwards today and removed both heater hoses, made the clamps and will re-touch the hoses up with the black paint to make 'em look like rubber again. Actually I was trying to figure out how I was going to touch these things up with a brush "in-car" but now that they are out I'll shoot the two hoses with the AB to give them both a smooth look so there is a silver lining in the cloud. I've just gotta pull back on the reigns and slow down a little that's all. Thanks for looking folks, Joe

Edited by mustang1989