Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Corvette Convertible Finished! Posted in Under Glass

microwheel

Well I think they look pretty clean to me Ben. Your detail work is pretty dog gone good.

Yeah, but sometimes we are our worst critic i guess.

Your work on the undercarriage is very inspirationnal. And what to say about the interior. Simply humbling. That will definately be a goal for me...I gotta do better in thoses areas.

Edited by mopar_guy1

Afternoon Guys. Finished up the chasis the past couple of days. Still got a little dusting off to do, and the front chasis bumper mounts to install. But for the most part the chasis is complete.

I tell ya what... If you plan on building this kit from revell.. Beleave it, when it says skill level 3. There hasn't been very much of the basic kit that I did'nt have to fight with to get together, and then add all the detailing that I have been doing, and It's even more of a struggle.

Anyways here is a few pics of what was done the past few days. Got the Exhaust on, the drive shaft painted and installed, the rear e-brake lines and wheel brake lines tied in to the chasis and the rear shocks installed.

DSCF4978-vi.jpg

DSCF4980-vi.jpg

DSCF4981-vi.jpg

That's pretty much it for the past few days work. Now it's on to getting the front and side window frames and glass done, and then all the rest of the chrome work. As well as a bunch of photo-etched script to attach.

More as I get it done.....

Edited by microwheel

Got a little more done on the vette the past couple of days. I still got alot more to go, but thought I would at least post something to show where things are. Excuse my messy and somewhat unorganized workbench. I normally try to take my pics off the bench, but I didn't have much time this evening to set up my pic taking area.

Got the front grill, bumper, and turn signal chrome peices on. Also got the winshield frame and windshield, the side vents and glass(want a pain all that was), as well as the sun visors and rear view mirror. I also got the up-top base painted in a nice testor desert sand flat color which really goes well with the car. I still have to detail paint the inside of the top and get the rear glass installed, as well as tons on trim, script, and decals.

I've worked off and on trying to adjust the way the front hood lays in the body, and still it seems to sit up just a smidge. I'm not sure why yet, but before I call this thing done, I'll figure it out. I also still need to do alot of touchup and cleanup work. But it's getting there.

DSCF4999-vi.jpg

DSCF5001-vi.jpg

DSCF5005-vi.jpg

DSCF5010-vi.jpg

DSCF5011-vi.jpg

I'm not sure how much more I may post on the build before finishing this one up. But if I do, it shouldn't be to much more. Otherwise the next post may be in the underglass section.

Thanks for following along everyone.

Afternoon Guys, this will probably be my last update before finishing the vette up and posting it underglass. One Issue that was really bugging me was that the front edge of the hood say up way to much, and I couldn't get it to sit down no matter what I tried. So I decided to do something about it.

This is how it looked and why it was bugging me.

DSCF4983-vi.jpg

So I carefully cut the pins loose that held the hood into the body, and then drilled holes on each side to insert new pins later. And while I had the hood off I went ahead and added the 427 script on each side of the hood scoop.

DSCF5019-vi.jpg

I then carefully bent the hood setting in back inplace often to check for fit. I did this several times till the hood finally layed down like it should. Some of the issue was warpage and some, such as the very hi point on the nose, seemed to be more Revell not molding that area of the hood just right. While I couldnt fix that part.. I was able to get the hood to lay and look much better.

Once I had the hood laying like it should, I made new pins for the hood and cemented the pin in place for the passenger side, leaving the drivers side out till I got the hood set in place.

DSCF5017-vi.jpg

With the hood back in place on the car and in the open position, I slid the drivers side pin through the hole I made in the hood support tab and cemented the end of it so it would stay put.

DSCF5023-vi.jpg

The resault was a much better setting hood.

DSCF5035-vi.jpg

DSCF5038-vi.jpg

Continued in next post below.

Edited by microwheel

While I had the hood off, I added a scratch made decal for the AC compressor, and the AC radiator that I forgot to install earlier.

DSCF5013-vi.jpg

I also took some time the past few days to add the rear chrome work such as the rear bumpers and the rear light bazels and the fuel door which I detail with body color paint and decal. As well as adding the photo-etched script from the photo-etched detail set from the model car garage. I would have used their photo-etched fuel door that came with the detail set as well, but it seemed that it was just a little too big.. more for 1/24 scale I think. I also added the photo-etched soft top hardware.

DSCF5015-vi.jpg

That's pretty much where Im at for now.. Still lots of finishing up work to do, but its only a day or two from being done at this point.. I hope anyways lol

Thanks for checking out the build..

Edited by microwheel

Thanks alot guys. I finally got the vette finished today. I hope to have at least a final assembly pic to post maybe later tonight, and then tomorrow morning I will take a bunch of pics to post in the Under Glass section. Thanks to everyone for all the comments, and for following along with this build. I have to do alot of clean up work in my hobby room before atempting to start another project. But hope to have something started in the next few weeks.

As promised guys. Here are a few bench shots of the vette finally finished. I just got it done today, so I'm letting her rest for the evening on the bench, then she'll get taken into the spare room in the house and I will take more pics tomorrow of her and post them in the Under Glass section of the site.

DSCF5044-vi.jpg

DSCF5045-vi.jpg

DSCF5049-vi.jpg

DSCF5050-vi.jpg

Watch for her to be posted in the underglass section sometime tomorrow.