Model Cars Magazine Forum

LS Powered '62 Corvette

Toast

Thanks! Carving the details in the glazing putty isn't the funnest thing to spend a few hours doing, but they're in a convertible so those details need to be there. And speaking of un-fun things to do, carbon fiber decals! What a P I T A!

But WOW they look awesome!

20150104_214516_HDR.jpg

Now all I have to do is paint the floor carpet and the floor pan can be mated tot he chassis for good!

Seats are coming along, Little tweaking and they'll be in paint soon enough.

IMG_5421.jpg

The floor pan and chassis are secured to one another.

IMG_5426.jpg

Here are the wheels it will have. Closest Vette wheels I could find to the design on the original.

They'll get the Corvette centers and a shot of clear to settle down the chrome.

IMG_5437.jpg

Just asking but is your friends car an actual '62 'Vette, or is it one of the custom coachworks cars that is built on a '94 and up chassis, the biggest give away is the windshield frame is the newer style. I'm thinking about building a model of a red one we saw at "Hot August Nites", but the biggest hangup is to actually build it to the right width it will take two bodies since the real car is close to a foot wider than a stock '62. And to do it you need to cut one in half lengthwize, and cut the extra width from the center of the other body.

Edited by horsepower

Thanks everyone. Del, I don't really know who built the car but it's a real '62. The undercarriage looks like a modern Corvette drive train fitted to a 62 frame.

To do the seats I cut pieces of paper to fit the surface and made templates from them. I transferred that to tape and drew the pattern on the pieces of tape. I used an exacto knife to cut along the pattern and through to the seat. Then used a scribe to deepen and widen the lines. The glazing putty broke off at a few of the narrow shapes. Some super glue and reapplication of putty and they're shaping up pretty good.

20141226_103308_HDR.jpg

20141228_220934_HDR.jpg

They will get a two tone grey scheme before being glued in.

Ha ha! Word!

Thanks for the props! (my best Ebonics)

Got some parts ready to assemble tonight and figured, what the heck, with the steering wheel!

IMG_5442.jpg

This will be shot with the same light gray as the seats and dash, then the spokes will get Bare Metal Foil.

Might have to ream them out after paint as they're pretty small holes.

IMG_5444.jpg

Edited by Toast

Thanks!

Did a test fit of the chassis to the body. Looks like it all went together the way it was planned. The hood shuts just fine even though it will be displayed up.

20150110_163849_HDR.jpg

Looking at my pics of the real car the kit hood latches were backwards. The hood stoppers were closer to the firewall while the holes the hood pegs rest in were towards the engine. Wasn't going to worry about this little detail but the kit latches protruded into the engine compartment just too much and would have been in the way of the Corvette beauty covers. So I gave them a little trim, drilled holes for the hood pegs, and mounted them "backwards". ;-)

Here's the original pieces. The part that's raised is what the kit has sitting in the indents on the top of the firewall.

IMG_5449.jpg

I gave em a chop!

IMG_5451.jpg

And after the holes were drilled, glued them to the firewall.

20150112_220328_HDR.jpg

The engine compartment is almost finished!

20150112_220229_HDR.jpg

The two computer pieces cluttered up that corner of the engine bay so I only used one. The smaller unit on the fender had the red wires run to it but since I didn't use it I painted the cable on the one i did use red. Adds some color to bay!

20150112_220304_HDR.jpg

I started cutting the chrome pieces off the trees to make sure they fit on the body. Figure I'll prep the surfaces where they meet before polish in case I cause a scratch that can hopefully be polished out (I've been known to do that)

Edited by Toast

The seats are almost done!

One last finishing touch on the carving. I found some small metal loops in the jewelry isle at Hobby Lobby and bent a couple of them until I had four that were the right shape.

20150113_195342_HDR.jpg

I then carved out a spot in each chair where the loops would rest.

20150113_200645_HDR.jpg

I filled the space with some putty and pressed the loops into their spot.

20150113_213042_HDR.jpg

Some careful scraping and prying with the dental pick and they all popped out!

20150114_193343_HDR.jpg

Cleaned up the seats and hit it with a few coats of white primer and they're ready for the first gray coat!

20150115_204747_HDR.jpg

After the seats are painted the metal loops will go back into them with a little epoxy.

Thanks guys, getting excited to see this one complete. I test fit the chassis to the body after I got the seats and door panels secured, just to make sure the new shape of the seats still worked, and it looked pretty slick under the white unpainted body. Carbon fiber on the dash is done too. Might get home tonight in time to get some more work done.