Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best Cragar SS wheels?

Really good information from you all, thanks! I think for ease of finding and also because I want the model, I will get a couple of the Baldwin Motion Camaros sent over from your side of the pond. Thanks again for the info

I will post a pic shortly with what I think you might like. If you like, they are yours.

I intended to have the pics up by now, but I really don't know what to use to get them on the forum. Any clues as to a good program that I can use to post with?

Try a Photobucket account for photohosting.

Here's a pic of the Cragar S/S wheels form the recent AMT Baldwin Motion kit, courtesy of Vince:

http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/scale-modeling-1/amt-baldwin-motion-/baldwin-motion-camaro-1/amt-baldwin-motion-2.html

3973f889-cf9a-47f0-a7ec-270712bbbc1d_zpsSorry for the extra copy of the first pic. I still getting to know photobucket.

These look like they may work. you do know I live in the UK don't you! Happy to pay costs if you are not going to use them? In the meantime, I am going to order a BM Camaro or two.......

• 2 weeks later...

One type of Cragar wheel that is hard to find is one for the 13" tire, as in the '66 Corvair year model kit. I tried to get Modelhaus to repop the set from the kit, but Don didn't make them like the kit set. He cut off the backing parts (steel axle studs on the front and a short stud sleeve for the rear) and made them as outside-only halves. I not only didn't get a proper repop part set, but he kept the originals (which he had cut up, anyway.)

A 13" wheel is the size used on stock Corvairs, Falcons, and a few other cars. Granted, limited production items, but I always liked the look of a set of Cragars. My favorite on full-size cars, though is the GT version of the iconic SS wheel. The difference is that the GT wheel has a brush finish rim and dark gray/flat black spokes. Would love to have a set on my full-size Corvair.

-Mark

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/24/2014 at 3:36 PM, tim boyd said:

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rqtrkgsqrttrgtbxdfgrwtwdbdtg,vi/sdttwtgsf/9/998986/4876237/DSC_0201-vi.jpg

Another source is the MPC "Mummy Machine" kit (itself a reissue of the Carl Casper "Phone Booth T"), which has been reissued several times, most recently in the early 2000's by AMT-Ertl. The same wheels are in the MPC "Paul Revere and the Raiders Coach", which was also reissued under the AMT-Ertl label in the early 2000's.

These are the very best I've found for the "shallow and deep" Cragar S/S wheels used on funny cars (such as the original Nelson Carter Super Chief Charger from the cover of Car Craft magazine) and other period drag racers from the late 1960's/early 1970's with narrow tires up front and wide slicks out back.

Several photos of these wheels on completed models....

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rqddbfsstswgqtgxdfgrwtwdbdtg,vi/fqwbfrtfxrfwgtdbrd/9/998986/4876237/DSC_0290-vi.jpg

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,sdqfsqrbwrdbdqgxdfgrwtwdbdtg,vi/sbwrsgdgrxrsrfbgrqq/9/998986/5566936/DSC_0323-vi.jpg

...and the first usage on this model circa December 1969-January 1970 (the chassis - with a different body - won "Best Detail" at the 1970 Detroit Cobo Autorama MPC Model Car Contest, billed at the time by Car Model Magazine as "The World's Largest Model Car Contest".....but I digress....sorry.

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,wsbdsqdgwrstwfdxdfgrwtwdbdtg,vi/ttbgfkkkwxkffqrssdb/9/998986/5566778/DSC_0522-vi.jpg

Hope this helps...TIM

I think this thread could use a bump just based off of this post alone. I'm going to have to hunt down one these kits for an old build I'm revitalizing.

On 6/12/2021 at 12:32 PM, Dave Darby said:

I think this thread could use a bump just based off of this post alone. I'm going to have to hunt down one these kits for an old build I'm revitalizing.

Here's what those MPC bad boys look like on a completed model...TIM DSC 0323

9 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

I love that Deuce!

Thanks Dave....here's the original version before the mild updates and enhancements of the one posted above.....this is the version that appeared in the two-part SA magazine article....

DSC 0468

• Like 2

On 11/2/2018 at 9:47 PM, Deuces said:

Another set of Cragars can be found in the Revell '70 Torino 2n1 kit.... I think it's the Cobra edition...

The Cragars are in the ProModeler/Revell '70 Torino GT for sure. I don't think they made it into the Cobra but I'm not positive.

16 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Here's what those MPC bad boys look like on a completed model...TIM DSC 0323

Very cool build! You're right the Mummy Machine and Raider's Coach had great big n' little Cragars....luckily I scored a few of each very cheap last time they were reissued just for the wheels.