Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch built car hauler

drummerdad

Hey everyone. I'm going to attempt to post some pictures of a new project I'm working on. I've been out of modeling for about ten years, and recently got back into it. So my stock of parts, and tools is as poor as my skill level. But I'll get better, and I am slowly rebuilding my stock.

This is the car hauler. The truck in the pictures will be modified to be a double cab dually, so it is only for reference. I was looking at car hauler kits, and didn't like any I saw. The idea was to carry four cars, so I googled a few haulers, and put a few ideas together.

I know it isn't as good as a lot of builds I have seen here, but it will look okay. I've always been a ten foot builder. They look good from about ten feet. Any closer, and the issues start to show through.

The idea is the gooseneck will lift to allow a car to be loaded underneath. I still have tons of work to do, but this is the basic design. I'm not happy with the hydraulic cylinders on the neck right now, so those will change probably. I also have to make a hydraulic lock mechanism, and the hydraulic stabilizing feet. Then it will need rails, additional supports, tie anchors, suspension, etc..

post-14855-0-84826400-1419426992_thumb.j

post-14855-0-34122600-1419427012_thumb.j

post-14855-0-90849200-1419427046_thumb.j

post-14855-0-25168800-1419427071_thumb.j

Dwayne first WELCOME to the MCM forums and back into building again. You have taken on a cool project building the car transporter and have a very good start on it. I will be following along on your progress. I'm currently also working on a car hauler to in the big rig work bench section. I'm going for a 9 car hauler.

Hello Dwayne,

Nice and original construction. I like the idea of the low level platform with the Camaro or Firebird on it. It is the first time that I see a design like that. I know that it is a non finished project but in case you didn't think of a way to secure the cars on the trailer. It's always make the thing more realistic. You would need straps or chains with a system of binders. It is probably in your plans anyway.

Also, as another guy said, the half a ton truck won't be strong enough to carry all this weight on it's poor suspension and drive train. You would need a one ton truck or the components to upgrade your pickup.

I know a guy who is selling very nice 1/25 scale one ton wheels (dually and reversed wheels) and tires if you need.

You can look at them on one of my project in construction at this page :

http://montrealminiatures.com/?page_id=991

I don't make any money on this. I am not selling them myself, but if you want the info, contact me. My email address is also at the bottom of every page of my blog.

Florent

Thanks for the comments everyone. It is a work in progress, so some things will change.

First is the hydraulics cylinders. They are too big. And I don't like the way the sit.

The truck was just for show. It will have a dually pulling it, eventually. I'm still deciding on what. I'm thinking a dually cadillac escallade ext. I haven't seen any converted to a dually yet, so I might try it.Either way it'll be a four door, dually pulling it. And I will need some tires, but it will be awhile. I will look at the site posted by Florent. Thanks

I also have plans for tie downs on the outside, between the upper and lower surfaces of the I-beams. But I don't know what to do about straps for the cars. If it were a real truck, they would get tire straps, so I'll be looking into something like that. I would like to be able to change the cars on it.

It will also get a rail on the top, a couple of hydraulic leveling feet, and some means of pulling the bottom tray into the base of the trailer. I haven't thought that far ahead yet. It'll also need six matching tires. I can only find five right now.

I'm always open to suggestions, and advice on what and where to buy. I've been out of it for a long time. I'm amazed by what is available now. The 3d stuff just blows my mind.

I will be looking for some trailer wheels and tires in the future. Any advise or links would be appreciated. I can only find 5 now, I'll need eight matching wheels. It will be a triple axle, but researching for the trailer revealed a lot of tire issues. Most triple axle guys carry two spares because of frequent tire wear. I did search.

I also wasn't able to find any real info on the requirement for a triple axle. I figured it would be be over 12,500 lbs,(if it were real, of course) and assumed it would need three axles. A friend told me one time he couldn't tow a trailer for another friend, because it had three axles, and his truck was not a dually. I was not aware this might be a law, but it kind of makes sense. I spent some time looking today, but was unable to find anything.

Either way, I'm going with a tri-axle, and a dually to pull it.

Thanks for the links and kind words so far.