Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

IF I remember correctly, the Tamiya kit can be built wtihout the hubcaps. Those would be pretty cool, especially if you know how to widen them.

The screen raced Herbies uses a 356 engine in them, back in the old days that was the equivalent of a 1700cc.

I agree with the 456 engine Jason. thats what i am think about...use a 4-cylinder in the back could be the easy way...or should i build a 6-cylinder midengine in a scratchbuild frame and rollcage and, and, and...the easier way should be the 356.

the rims i will use classic 911 ...widen the original is also a nice idea...

Here's my first progress photos. The body is all sanded and ready for primer except for scribing the panel lines deeper. The rear spoiler has a simulated plastic texture. So, it won't get sanded. The current plan is a medium or dark gray with a flat or satin finish. Even though I hate black wheels. I'm thinking the wheels will be satin black. I'll know for sure once the paint is on the body.

I pitched the tiny 13" BBS wheels and tires and replaced them with a set of 16" Mini Lites (source unknown).I took the kit wheel backs and cut them down to where they were roughly the size of a hub and glued them to the rear of the wheels. This allowed me to just snap them onto the kit spindles. I can glue them later or just allow them to roll.

The rear got lowered 3 1/2 mms to bring it down. I may take another mm or two out of it to give the rear tires a touch of camber.

The glass unit doesn't fit very well. So, I'm either going to have to cut it apart or make all new glass for it. I have some new stuff that I've been wanting to try out. So, I'll probably make new glass for it.

008_zpse7d7a0e1.jpg

009_zps467174f5.jpg

014_zps7629a2ac.jpg

The engine halves are glued together and I've filed the joint down somewhat. The manifold got pitched and replaced with a scratch built header. I'll have to make new supply and exhaust tubes. If I have the room, I'll ditch the intake and single carburetor and replace it with four Webers. I'm also planning on adding an intercooler. I'm pretty sure I have the room for it up front.

017_zps2b8e5d5a.jpg

019_zps5ca640e6.jpg

I may jump in this. have had an idea for a while and this would be a great place to show it off. if I can get some pictures up on this site, (I am not computer literate at all no mater how many times it's explained). have a ton of projects ahead of this one. we will see. looks like fun and great conversation.

G' Day Tim,

Count me in too!

AMT Dodge Ram 50 with V8 running gear etc....

(Tried to upload image from P/B but for some reason it didn't work, works on other forums?

You copy then it doesn't paste.....can anyone shed some light)

Cheers

Ray

Ray, I use PB all the time. do you use the "Image" icon to insert your pics?

G' Day Dennis (Meat Man), now things are really strange, I went to quote your post and nothing happened?

In regards to your question, that is correct, I click on image and copy and paste from P/B to MCM post......and nothing happens.....

I've had to revert to attaching images from my files....

Not sure what's happening, my usual method works on other forums, but not MCM?!

Trial and error I guess, but at least I posted some images up so you can see them.... ;)

Cheers mate

Ray

ps: thanks for your input too Clayton (Petertrucker07)

Welcome back previous racers and Welcome to the new racers.

Riley sorry about the spelling, I wrote it down correct but typed it wrong me and my fat fingers.

Please remember that to officially enter you must post up a picture of the kit, rebuilder etc.

Which I will do as soon as I decided what I will be converting to a wagon. I have 2 Pontiac's, a Plymouth or a Dodge to chose from.

Tim

OK, lets make it official.

My first of two entries will be this kit. 1977 Mustang II hatchback. Was sealed until I got it.

20150106_121732_zpsvyjrabs8.jpg

20150106_121828_zpsa72oqvw0.jpg

My plan is to find a 2.3 Turbo out of an SVO kit, and make this a 2.3 Turbo Mustang II. A creature that never existed. I will also try to find a T5 5 speed transmission for it or maybe a T56 6 speed. A 2.3 Turbo with the BOV routed back into the exhaust instead of atmospheric, followed by a muffler, stock wheels and whitewall tires, no V8 emblems on the fenders or flashy graphics, bland mid-70s color would make this thing a sweet street sleeper!

Second kit coming as soon as I atleast finish the first one!

Edited by JTalmage

G' Day Dennis (Meat Man), now things are really strange, I went to quote your post and nothing happened?

In regards to your question, that is correct, I click on image and copy and paste from P/B to MCM post......and nothing happens.....

I've had to revert to attaching images from my files....

Not sure what's happening, my usual method works on other forums, but not MCM?!

Trial and error I guess, but at least I posted some images up so you can see them.... ;)

Cheers mate

Ray

ps: thanks for your input too Clayton (Petertrucker07)

One last thing Ray. If you're using Internet Explorer try another browser. It got so goofy for me I abandoned it 2 yrs ago. Try Chrome of Firefox. If you're already using them, all I can do is pray for you! lol

Dennis

Thinking of doing the aoshima honda odyssey kit, would have to get some different wheels for it though, and not sure what I could squeeze in for a powertrain. Does a roll cage ruin the "sleeperness" of a minivan?

A cage would be great i think, just keep it in behind the pillars etc, so it can't be seen from the outside, that could be fun trying to accomplish.

A cage would be great i think, just keep it in behind the pillars etc, so it can't be seen from the outside, that could be fun trying to accomplish.

Yeah that mod is on the forefront of my mind with my Pacer. With all that glass, how am I gonna hide that roll cage?

Like I did with my Studebaker, changing my Cannonballer into a Carrera Panamericana racer, the way the Pacer looks for the Cannonball will not be it's final form.

I need the roll cage. It's going to have to be the tightest cage I've ever done.

EDIT: I've got it. Tinted windows. B)

Edited by Jantrix

Ok, I think I'm going to enter this with a Buick Regal...

DSCN6047-vi.jpgDSCN6374-vi.jpg

Thought about using either a Grand National Or Monte Carlo SS chassis, but both are too narrow. What I will do is find a pair of high back seats, cut the window net out of the cage, and maybe try to use the stock Regal dash. So far I've filled all the hood pins and removed the front and rear window straps.

DSCN6375-vi.jpgDSCN6379-vi.jpgDSCN6392-vi.jpgDSCN6391-vi.jpgDSCN6393-vi.jpg

I think I will leave interior black or dark gray to somewhat help mask the cage. Not sure what color to paint exterior. Thinking cream, medium blue, or charcoal gray. Will probably use the NASCAR slicks with these wheels

DSCN6387-vi.jpg

Will have to try to figure out what to do for tail lights. Not talented enough to graph the GN rear end to body. May use BMF and paint in tail lights