Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

I received this email for the Ohio State Patrol:

Mr. Hunter

We at the Ohio State Patrol are tired of all the scoff laws that are associated with the so called race you are directing. The Ohio State Patrol intends on building a vehicle to combat the law breakers who are intent on exceeding the speed limit laws set forth in the great state of Ohio. Enclosed please find our entry. A 1969 Plymouth GTX.

019.jpg

Sincerely,

Buford T Justice, Jr.

Commander Ohio State Patrol

This came to me as a surprise, Being they are showing the unbuilt kit, I am accepting there entry. So we have to be careful especially in Ohio.

Tim

Well, looks my Cougar will need to be really incognito. Or armed to the teeth with cop-stopping goodies. Or both...

I'm still going to look for another Smart, but I'm starting to think nobody else bought any of t

Pat, what kit was your smart?

Should i take a look around for the revell or so and send it to you?

For my entrie, i choosed the Porsche 356 engine for the bug, will make "the authentic style".

It is in progress...lowered and frontaxle shortened. Some pictures will follow these days. ;)

The AMT '70 Super Bee Pro Street chassis fits pretty well under that luxo barge Jon.

Just saying... B)

And DaveM - you're right about the '77 Chevy Van having plenty of room for fuel

CannonballVan007.jpg

None of you will be surprised to hear that i've done nothing so far.

I checked out the other pictures on Photo Bucket, very cool.

A warm good morning from Germany!

I did some brainstorming while I was sorting out my model kits to reduce my collection and grabbed some gluebombs. I think it's a good idea and: I'm in!

Please put me on the list with a 1964 Mini (Tamiya):

942z.jpg

My plan: to put a Honda F18 engine in it :) Everything else will be open to the ideas while I smack this thing together :D

Donor car:

756.jpg

Edited by christian-w

Thanks Dominik,it's a Revell pro modeler kit.

o.k. I'll take a look.

yesturday i search a short time and can't find one. But, i have other chances to get one (if i ask the right peoples what i will do know ;) ). I'll send you a pn till end of the week.

Is >that link< the right one?

Edited by Dominik

I´m still here with my GMC Motorhome!

Nothing done yet except some dremel work to the body, remowing all toy like things from inside of body.

Sorry, no pics yet.

Since I now did finally get ´51 mercury ( see under glass ) finished I´ll have more time to get buried in the mysteries of high speed Motorhoming.

A warm good morning from Germany!

I did some brainstorming while I was sorting out my model kits to reduce my collection and grabbed some gluebombs. I think it's a good idea and: I'm in!

Please put me on the list with a 1964 Mini (Tamiya):

942z.jpg

My plan: to put a Honda F18 engine in it :) Everything else will be open to the ideas while I smack this thing together :D

Donor car:

756.jpg

FYI - F18 is a fighter jet

If we're talking Honda engines, especially from an Integra, its a B18.

Sorry if I sound anal about it, but I've owned a few of these cars over the years.

This is a surprisingly common swap in real life, somthing that I've always wanted to do myself. Sticking a 200+hp engine in a car that started out with 68hp isn't a bad start.

Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Sticking a 200+hp engine in a car that started out with 68hp isn't a bad start.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm using the 2JZ from the AMT Supra. From my reading the weight between the Pacer and Supra are near identical, and the 2JZ is rated at 321hp. It should move along pretty well I think. Adding a Ford 9 inch rear end to handle the load.

20150101_173337_zpsnc2e8bgp.jpg

Monogram Ferrari 250 GTO

OK .. I'm commiting to a group build .. I have trouble finishing any of these I start, but I have trouble finishing any build I start! :lol: I'm going to really try to get this one in the race.

(please note that this story is pure conjecture and imagination based loosely on fact)

This is the one out of 39 Ferrari 250 GTO's that has disappeared since it was rumored to have been sold in 2014 for $39 million. It was owned by the Violati family since 1965 and , again per rumors, to have resided in an old wine brewery in northern Italy. Found by Ricardo Violati who used the barn to house his wrecked Lamborgini's and newer Ferraris from his father after his drunken rides through the Itialian alps. Ricardo had no respect for the value of money. He was handed anything he desired by his wealthy family and cast all aside as he was given new toys. He also had no respect for the great engineering that created the automobiles that he so carlessly abused and cast aside. Yes, Ricardo was a spoiled rich kid.
Despite his disrespect for the automobile, his favorite movie was " Cannonball Run", not for the excitement of the various vehicles but for the way they were abused. On reading of a new Cannonball Run for 2015 he decided he HAD to participate in this American tradition and "show those amatures how to drive!". Reading rule two ...If the car IS normally thought of as fast, it should be in such poor condition/appearance, that no one would give it a second glance .. he decided he had many cars to chose from.
He ricochetedoff the the Alps to his winery cache and chose the missing 250 GTO he spent a night polishing the seat with the acidic heaving of his stomach. The winery rats had had their way with the seats and the leaking winery roof took it's toll on the body. The smashed right front fender he crushed on that last night could be replaced easily with a replica. Mysteriously one of the wire wheels was missing ... he wondered if it might have been that bothersome guy trying to buy this derelict. It would be cool to see a set of American mags on the GTO anyway ... nice fat ones in back! The rest could be fixed with duct tape and paint from the local ValMart.

This model is a glue bomb from an ebay jumk pile of sports cars I got for a Porsche 944 build. It had virtually no paint, other than the oddly used black in body panels. The builder had troubles applying the tube glue effectivly as it was sparce in some places and way over glued in others. The glue could be plainly seen everywhere. Looking at the car cloesly I could see why the Monogram Ferrari 250 GTO was released by many companies .. it is a very nice kit for it's age and nicely detailed.

So, I threw it in the freezer to see if it could be taken apart. It all reverted to it's "natural" stay pretty well .. many broken locator pins, but they are easily replaced. The only piece that remains stubborn is the glass ... it refuses to budge loose. I started to just grind it out but it still won't come loose. I may just leave it and mask off for painting.

No box art but here's the starting condition and what I've done to date ..

Ferrari250GTOfrontDSC_1493_zps37824d44.j

Ferrari250GTODSC_1494_zps2063ce1b.jpg

Ferrari250GTOpartsDSC_1498_zps51baa23f.j

and now ..

body-frameDSC_1500_zps0b6e3eaf.jpg

body-frameDSC_1501_zps8bf4e29e.jpg

body-frameDSC_1502_zps1808f36e.jpg

frameDSC_1503_zps1afaeaa1.jpg

engineDSC_1504_zpsc0cf69cf.jpg

my entry for this year is a 1982 Datsun 720 which is being placed on a hacked up Hilux lowrider chassis I will have a small block and powerglide (I think) and the stock Hilux diff. the plan is to use the wheels shown and make it look like either a work truck or surf truck . And it has a LHD dash from a Hilux thanks to Luke.

post-13845-0-88552000-1421215004_thumb.j

post-13845-0-38774600-1421215113_thumb.j

FYI - F18 is a fighter jet

If we're talking Honda engines, especially from an Integra, its a B18.

Sorry if I sound anal about it, but I've owned a few of these cars over the years.

This is a surprisingly common swap in real life, somthing that I've always wanted to do myself. Sticking a 200+hp engine in a car that started out with 68hp isn't a bad start.

Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Sorry, right. It's the B18. I was thinking about my Accord Wagon (Aerodeck :wub: in Germany ) with it's F20B3 engine. So I stupidly wrote an F ;)

I always wanted to put the 2.2 Liter from a 1990 Accord into the 1979 Accord - 150PS and 860kg weight B) That would be great.

Edited by christian-w

I've been debating these for awhile now, but I better get them entered before DaveM takes all my ideas! LOL.

A VW van with Vette chassis and a Gremlin.

I did the California Roller a couple of years ago for a cannonball build, with a F1 Cosworth V8 and transaxle, plenty of room for a good driveline mate.

0016_zps7027bf97.jpg

VW007_zpsf1724653.jpg

Got a start on my "Sleeper"

l.

Stretched the chassis and drive train,..

Cut out the trunk lid...

Just noodlin' so far

Great work, and nice concept. Looks like the 'Vette drivetrain is going to be popular this year. I'm using the setup from the C-5 Compuware Corvette.

I've mocked together the massive Audi V-10 engine and Tuesday chose to convert the PT Cruiser chassis to take the engine. The evening began by salvaging the "doughnut" spare tire. I've always wanted one of these.

SpareTireCut_zps2d5122f2.jpg

Spent three hours cutting and shaping the chassis and interior floor, only to return tonight and realize it was a colossal waste of time. I'm back to converting the Audi chassis to fit the PT instead. The Audi is 1/24 and the PT is 1/25 so I need to shorten 5mm. A-arms will be shortened later.

BEFORE

ChassisBeforeCut_zps2da718b0.jpg

AFTER... Wheelbase is now aligned.

ChassisAfterCut_zpsf88c77e9.jpg

To radius the Audi chassis to fit the PT I used a French Curve, a graphics tool.

ChassisFrontRadius1_zps9645fda1.jpg

ChassisFrontRadius2_zps97691e81.jpg

ChassisFrontRadius3_zps940dbada.jpg