Model Cars Magazine Forum

All new Citroen DS19 kit

fumi

Before 1968, and the restyling featuring larger headlights, the wheels were held by a signle bolt...

Well you learn something new every day, but doing a bit of searching on the net, found a few images of the older style wheel, don't think I've ever seen a road wheel on a car held on with just one bolt, any idea why they changed the design ??

Old Wheel

3e5e48f6-35d9-4493-8ba8-6abf9a10191c_zps

Newer Wheel

XAS_zpsdd8b98f2.jpg

Actually, the one-bolt system is a bit more complex than meets the eye.

It pulls a conically shaped device into the split hexagonal hub, thus expanding the hub into the centre recess of the wheel.

The wheel is hence jammed onto the hub. This system was developed together with Michelin, back then the major shareholder

of Citroen S.A.

P1020031.JPG

The system was replaced by a conventional design to save production cost, and no other reason.

At the same time, the wheels were changed from metric to 15" to allow a wider (pun intended) selection of tyres.

That vanilla became available on production cars in 1958.

Don't be afraid of colours, the DS was available in quite some -errr- progressive hues for its time.

Here is a colour configurator: http://www.nuancierds.fr/entreeuk.htm

Here are examples:

010-Citroen-DS.jpg

Please note that only exhibition cars had whitewalls. All production cars were delivered with radials.

Edited by Junkman

Actually, the one-bolt system is a bit more complex than meets the eye.

It pulls a conically shaped device into the split hexagonal hub, thus expanding the hub into the centre recess of the wheel.

The wheel is hence jammed onto the hub. This system was developed together with Michelin, back then the major shareholder

of Citroen S.A.

P1020031.JPG

The system was replaced by a conventional design to save production cost, and no other reason.

At the same time, the wheels were changed from metric to 15" to allow a wider (pun intended) selection of tyres.

Clever idea, bit like a wall plug, thanks for sharing .....

• 2 weeks later...

If you can't wait (or just don't like building models), this 1.24th diecast isn't bad.

And there is the 1/16 version also for those who cannot wait. Judging EBBRO's strategy with the R4 it seems they love to fill the gaps. I hope other versions like a convertible and DS21 will follow (I am greedy to wish these things even before the basic kit is released, I know). But if they come with an SM it will the hit of the century.

It looks like the kit does not include those funky looking optional fog/driving lights you see on some of the DSs from the time. Too bad. I kind of like the looks of them. Another one of those weird features that always make Citroens interesting. Even though they are not included, it won't stop me from buying the kit.

Scott