Model Cars Magazine Forum

All new Citroen DS19 kit

fumi

I didn't say I don't buy it at the price, I just said it's stiff, which it is.

I'd happily dosh out 50 quid for a Seventies land yacht from Revell, where is it?

I just wonder how those 1/18 diecasters can do it for the money they charge.

The superb DS21 from Norev can be had for 40 quid if your're lucky.

I didn't say I don't buy it at the price, I just said it's stiff, which it is.

I'd happily dosh out 50 quid for a Seventies land yacht from Revell, where is it?

I just wonder how those 1/18 diecasters can do it for the money they charge.

The superb DS21 from Norev can be had for 40 quid if your're lucky.

Think we're a special breed, most Americans won't touch a '70 land-yacht with stick, it's a black page in their motoring history.

But Europeans never drove those, so we never experienced the lack of quality, we just remember them from TV shows and what Tinseltown showed us un the silver screen, you can't beat childhood memories/nostalgia.

Maybe like some Japanese companies did in the 70s & "80s European companies will tool up some in the future, just as they did with American big rigs.......we can always dream right?!

At least Revell is giving us a '76 Ford Gran Torino, yipiyayee!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

1978_Mercury_Marquis.jpg

Edited by Luc Janssens

Think we're a special breed, most Americans won't touch a '70 land-yacht with stick, it's a black page in their motoring history.

But Europeans never drove those, so we never experienced the lack of quality, we just remember them from TV shows and what Tinseltown showed us un the silver screen, you can't beat childhood memories/nostalgia.

Maybe like some Japanese companies did in the 70s & "80s European companies will tool up some in the future, just as they did with American big rigs.......we can always dream right?!

At least Revell is giving us a '76 Ford Gran Torino, yipiyayee!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

I for one love the 70s land yachts...'30s-50s subjects generally do nothing for me...I'd much rather have a kit of a '70s Marquis than a '50s Hudson. Looking forward to the Citroen kit, its such an iconic design, got to have one.

Edited by Rob Hall

Without a drastic change in management you're never going to convince Revell to tool a low volume,1 variant kit. Nor are you going to convince them that U.S. buyers will pay more than $30 for a model kit. That makes that Lincoln, as nice as it might be, a nonstarter.

Frankly it would take a bunch of work to convince me any Revell kit is worth $50 regardless of subject matter based on the past 3-4 years of new tooling.

But Europeans never drove those...

Speak for yourself, I had 50+ of them during the 90s/early 00s.

If I have the funds, I'll pay the price. This is a beautiful kit and Citroens are weird and neat, and I always liked DS-19s.

If they do the wagon, I'll get one of those, too.

And yes, I'd buy one of those Marquis', as well. Honestly, I still think a 1975-78 LTD would be a very good seller for police modelers, and rep-stock builders alike.

We need to take the dare, and if they do the product RIGHT- not a lot of Revell "right," as James pointed out, or Trumpeter "right" (egad!,) I'm talking Moebius/Tamiya/Ebbro right, I'd buy one even if it were $40-50.

Charlie Larkin

With Heller soon to release the Méhari and the HY van, and all those 2CVs out there, not forgetting Heller's vintage Traction Avant,

we'll have quite a nice Citroen Ménagerie.

This is how quick it can go. The same could suddenly happen with Detroit tin.

With Heller soon to release the Méhari and the HY van, and all those 2CVs out there, not forgetting Heller's vintage Traction Avant,

we'll have quite a nice Citroen Ménagerie.

This is how quick it can go. The same could suddenly happen with Detroit tin.

That's because for whatever reason France has seen sales that have doubled themselves for the past three consecutive years (per Revell AG) so you cater to the market.

The only thing doubling year to year in the American hobby industry is gray hairs. In addition to the actual Auto Industry putting out loathsome products, the hobby nearly died in the process as all the 60s kids did the "women, cars, jobs, kids" portion of their lives and there's really not a big block of people in the hobby who sit around and lust after a 77 Mustang II, let alone a pedestrian 4 door boat. The next major rush of kids came in the mid 80s as the children of the first Golden Age and we had IROCS, 5.0 Mustangs, etc...the only sedans I can think of being made after the AMT '70 Ford are the AMT SHO (which was promo based), the '92 Caprice (later Impala SS) , '96 Crown Vic, and '03 Impala - all Light Commercial fodder and all simple Snap Kits, and then the '06 Charger that was more kit than it needed to be and was a sale disaster.

Revell is set in their ways, and they refuse to even dare to repeat history. It's just the past 2 years or so we've seen reissues of some kits we haven't seen in 15-20 years because the first go around was so bad they've essentially waited on an entire generation of builders to have kids before running them again.

That's because for whatever reason France has seen sales that have doubled themselves for the past three consecutive years (per Revell AG) so you cater to the market.

The only thing doubling year to year in the American hobby industry is gray hairs. In addition to the actual Auto Industry putting out loathsome products, the hobby nearly died in the process as all the 60s kids did the "women, cars, jobs, kids" portion of their lives and there's really not a big block of people in the hobby who sit around and lust after a 77 Mustang II, let alone a pedestrian 4 door boat. The next major rush of kids came in the mid 80s as the children of the first Golden Age and we had IROCS, 5.0 Mustangs, etc...the only sedans I can think of being made after the AMT '70 Ford are the AMT SHO (which was promo based), the '92 Caprice (later Impala SS) , '96 Crown Vic, and '03 Impala - all Light Commercial fodder and all simple Snap Kits, and then the '06 Charger that was more kit than it needed to be and was a sale disaster.

Revell is set in their ways, and they refuse to even dare to repeat history. It's just the past 2 years or so we've seen reissues of some kits we haven't seen in 15-20 years because the first go around was so bad they've essentially waited on an entire generation of builders to have kids before running them again.

Doesn't the American hobby industry realise, the we Euros would kick each other's teeth in to get ahold of all the 60s-70s 4-door Detroit tin?

We are a market, too!

And speaking of snap kits: Reissue the Craftsman Series, Round2! Are you listening? No. Of course not.

Doesn't the American hobby industry realise, the we Euros would kick each other's teeth in to get ahold of all the 60s-70s 4-door Detroit tin?

We are a market, too!

And speaking of snap kits: Reissue the Craftsman Series, Round2! Are you listening? No. Of course not.

Yes, you are market, but not for the US companys, they have a hard enough time keeping their home market happy , whats make you think they could keep your market happy ? :lol:

EBBRO is to France what Moebius is to the US model builder. Every 50 something year old kid in France will want one of those DS's and the variations to come! The kit isn't aimed at the US market so we will pay the import kit prices.

As far as 70s land yachts, it wouldn't be wise to tool up new ones. When Model King issued the 1970 Buick Electra and 1971 Thunderbird reissues... they were a slow sell for Dave!

Electra??
I think you mean Wildcat.

Only 70 Buick I know AMT Ever offered

Motor City Stocker series Craftsman/Curbside kit

And Yes I wanted one but No place to get it!!!!!!

Surprisingly, I have had 3 of the 71 Thunderbird (traded 1)

Got All CHEAP off that evil auction site a few years ago

EBBRO is to France what Moebius is to the US model builder. Every 50 something year old kid in France will want one of those DS's and the variations to come! The kit isn't aimed at the US market so we will pay the import kit prices.

As far as 70s land yachts, it wouldn't be wise to tool up new ones. When Model King issued the 1970 Buick Electra and 1971 Thunderbird reissues... they were a slow sell for Dave!

Ebbro isn't anything to France, Ebbro is a Japanese company with an...eccentric taste in subject matter.

I guess we all look at the world in different ways and that is because we are of different ages, live in different parts of the world and have different interests. To me, the DS in 1:24 is a no-brainer, has been a classic since it was launched 60 years ago and is widely seen a one of the greatest car designs ever.

But of course, that is my point of view :)

And, yes, I will pay for it when it arrives. 60$ may be a lot of money for some and for me it is aswell but with 400 plus kits in my stash I can always sell of some to make up the money if needed.

Again, in my point of view, I would like to see 70s land yachts aswell but I would like to see a lot of stuff from the 70s from all over the world. Lots of European and Japanese cars from that decade that does not exist in kit form.

Ebbro isn't anything to France, Ebbro is a Japanese company with an...eccentric taste in subject matter.

If the Renault 4 and its van variant, and the DS is eccentric, I am eccentric who loves companies with eccentric taste :D

If the Renault 4 and its van variant, and the DS is eccentric, I am eccentric who loves companies with eccentric taste :D

Well don't forget they started with the 2CV Fourgonnette, and the same time this DS is heading to market their also releasing the pick-up version of the 2CV - mention of which has been banished to the truck part of the forum. That's some pretty eccentric subject matter.

With almost 9 million produced, the Renault 4 was at times among the most popular cars in Europe, thus hardly eccentric.

They were everywhere. Throughout the Seventies, it was the best selling import in Germany, so go figure.

Seen from America, I bet it is eccentric, though.

it only seems eccentric to americans who use AMC products as their "mass market" touchstone.

I am also kind of bugged that mention of a 2CV pickup has been relegated to the "truck" section. isn't this "car kit news and reviews"? oh I guess a pickup isn't a "car".

jb