Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first WIP here; '70 Dodge Challenger T/A, Parts

Roadrunner

9 minutes ago, atomicholiday said:

This is looking really good so far.   I LOVE the color! 

About 20ish years ago I had this kit almost finished,  and screwed up the clear coat.   Put it back in the box and haven't looked at it since. 

I'm in much the same boat, I started this one 9 years ago, but it's time to finish it up and move onto the next kit.

Side mirror bullet housings now sprayed with my old can of Icy Blue. The new Icy Blue (second photo), is way too flaky for my liking; a real shame, as I just bought three new cans of the stuff, and I imagine they’re all the same, though I certainly hope not. These still need to be clear coated and polished. All four were sprayed over Tamiya white primer, and as can be seen, are quite different from each other. Thank goodness the old stuff is still good, or I would have ended up just painting them gloss black, which I was prepared to do if need be.

DSCN1279.JPG

DSCN1282.JPG

Edited by Roadrunner

31 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Side mirror bullet housings now sprayed with my old can of Icy Blue. The new Icy Blue (second photo), is way too flaky for my liking; a real shame, as I just bought three new cans of the stuff, and I imagine they’re all the same, though I certainly hope not. These still need to be clear coated and polished. All four were sprayed over Tamiya white primer, and as can be seen, are quite different from each other. Thank goodness the old stuff is still good, or I would have ended up just painting them gloss black, which I was prepared to do if need be.

DSCN1279.JPG

DSCN1282.JPG

Yeah, that's like bass boat paint.

David G.

• Like 1

Yet another dumb mistake I made (poor planning on my part), was to use flat black and gloss blue enamel for my door & trunk outlines, leaving a way too glossy appearance to those lines, so I’ve now toned that down with matt lacquer, and polished/waxed again. I really needed to polish this area anyway, to remove some dark blue enamel staining remnants from the wash that I never noticed until I photographed the car, so no big deal there.

DSCN1285.JPG

Outer part of inner wheel now sprayed with a light grey metallic color. The grey is not really correct, but close as I could get at the moment. Excess spray was carefully wiped away with Testors thinner. Now I just need to spray the area around the lug nuts themselves (using a dark aluminum color), clean that all up, again with Testors cleaner and tiny Tamiya buds, add a very thin black wash, specifically to the half circular arches, and wheels will then be finished.

DSCN1298.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 7:05 AM, David G. said:

The wheels look great so far! 

It's often the smallest details that can have the largest impact.

David G.

Thanks a bunch. My feeling exactly, and the reason I'm trying to do all of those details to the best of my ability. Here's hoping it all works out well.

Edited by Roadrunner

This hood was just giving me fits, so after a bath in 91% alcohol, which removed much, but not all of the black lacquer, I snatched a brand new can of Testors Easy Lift Off (which is absolutely great stuff), and finished stripping it as far as needed. Now I can prep and polish (again), then respray with the semi-gloss black. I certainly hope it goes better this time. I may also try the Testors to strip the other hood, which I had previously determined was unredeemable. I'll also soon be grabbing a bottle of 99% alcohol, just to experiment with, as stripping paint seems to be an all too common occurrence for me these days.

DSCN1304.JPG

After waiting nearly two weeks for my order to arrive, tonight I was finally able to spritz the tires with clear flat acrylic. This didn’t really work as well as I had hoped, so I dusted some Testors Dullcote on instead. I’m now pretty happy with this result, though I may well add more Dullcote, and learned quite a lot in the process, which is a real nice plus.

DSCN1306.JPG

7 hours ago, David G. said:

The tires look good. I usually use Tamiya flat clear on mine and it works pretty well.

David G.

Clear acrylic? Spray bomb or airbrushed?

6 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Great detailing going on here Kevin.😎

Thanks a bunch. I'm having a great time with this.