Model Cars Magazine Forum

building a vintage junior stocker nhra 65 chevelle wagon......

AC Norton

post-11768-0-83863000-1420170324_thumb.jpost-11768-0-02089300-1420170368_thumb.jpost-11768-0-00726700-1420170386_thumb.jhello and a happy new year, started the amt 65 chevelle wagon last week. yes, I know,...this old kit has a million pitfalls and problems...the chassis stinks, the axle runs thru the block, the tires are too black, the box is too square....bla bla bla....however it may be fun to have something one has never built before...and if you like junior stockers from the 60s era as I do, maybe a neat little build, even if its a low tech piece by todays standards. anyhow, I posted a few pics of the completed engine, my drive shaft loop, the chassis with the front areas of the pipes removed.....remember, in that era the stock exhaust still had to be present, even though not hooked up. also a mock up of a possible wheel/tire combo....open steel wheels up front...or, the Keystones up front and the silver steel rims on the rears...tell us what you think. be a couple of weeks before this may be done, but I will try to keep anyone interested updated with pics of some progress.....thanks for looking... and any input from our esteemed forum members is certainly welcome.........the ace........ :D

post-11768-0-83863000-1420170324_thumb.j

post-11768-0-28353700-1420170338_thumb.j

post-11768-0-05999600-1420170349_thumb.j

post-11768-0-02089300-1420170368_thumb.j

post-11768-0-34084900-1420170424_thumb.j

post-11768-0-83832300-1420170453_thumb.j

Edited by AC Norton
pics

Cool. I'll be watching. I have this kit- haven't opened it yet.

On the wheels- I'm a big fan of steelies. I have them on two of my 1:1 cars, body color. :) I wish they came in every kit. I also like steelies on back with mags on front for cars that see a bit of 1/4 mile action.

Woo Hoo it's great to see someone building a Junior Stocker, especially when the builder knows what he is doing by knowing the rules of NHRA Stock class. The engine and your chassis work looks really good so far. I can't wait to see more, Junior Stockers are my favorite build subjects, too.

thanks for your comments, boys, I will work away this weekend and see just what happens here. I have several color combos in mind, and will begin selecting other accessories and such later today. with a 327-250 horse combo, L/S stick is where it looks to slot into. keep ya posted..the ace... ;)

Great project! Last year I finished up one of these (started several years ago) as a lower Modified Production, which isn't really all that far from your Junior Stocker. (I think you saw it and commented on it.) All things considered, it was a really fun build.

Have you tried putting the engine in the chassis with those headers attached? I found I had to file MAJOR clearance notches in the A-arms to get the engine in (the kit instructions would have you add the headers after the engine is in the chassis). If you want a better chassis, you could use one from the Revell '65 Chevelle or their '66 Chevelle wagon. (You'd have to add the inner fenders if you did this.)

Have fun with this and keep us posted on progress! I LOVE projects of this type!

Built one of these and its '65 El Camino cousin years ago. While it may not be as high tech as the newer kits it can still be made very presentable with the effort you seem to be putting into it. Look forward to seeing how this turns out.

a couple of you mention the chassis swap idea... I am well aware that this can be built with upgraded items from another kit, however, at 25-30 bucks a pop to buy a donor model, detailing mine with paint and such will be just fine for a shelf model. the exhaust system , as I mentioned in my text, will be detailed by painting, as stockers and super stockers up to and including the 1970 season, had to have that factory equipment present, though not functional, so using the kit chassis works for me.....the ace........ ^_^

....just read your question re. the headers, Snake. I installed flanges on the headers for better appearance and better, tighter attachment to the heads. once installed, the complete engine assembly slips nicely into place with the minimum of adjustment . I only had to slightly sand the A arms inside with some 600 grit dry paper to achieve final fit. good question posed by you, as I think that without a little dipsy doodling in this regard, those headers would be a nightmare to fit in correctly.......the ace..... ;)

true enough, roger, the blue tinted glass, as well as other colors seemed to be popular in the 60s era, but I think mostly in the gasser and altered classes. as tempting as the blue tint in this kit is to use, I will go with the clear in this build, to show the interior, and, it seems more common in the stocker classes. thanks for your comments...the ace... ;)

• 3 years later...