Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duplicating Builds

I got to thinking the other day while reviewing someones post on duplicating a build. Now this particular build refereed to just two cars total. The most I have ever duplicated myself, is 3. Two of them however were commissioned builds. What I want to know is, has any one builder ever built several models of the same brand, make and model and same color and if so, how many were built (that is identical builds). Like I said before the most I have seen is 3. I am sure someone has done a few, but curiosity is getting to me.

A fleet of work trucks for a business would be cool like in a diorama. You could get an assembly line going on building them. No I've never done it.

I have seen this done on military aircraft but, usually on a smaller scale.

Edited by rmvw guy

Not sure I've ever exactly done this with cars. Close, but not exact. At the moment I have a '69 Camaro and a '69 Nova, both in Fathom Green, going. Couple years ago I did a '99 Camaro for my son and decided to Snake-slap an AMT '93 Camaro snapper together at the same time (more or less).

4GCamaros02.jpg

Have kinda done it with airplanes. It's not uncommon for me to be working on three or four different airplanes requiring the same paint job, usually '50s USN Glossy Sea Blue. I might have a couple Corsairs, a Bearcat, and a Skyraider all hitting the paint shop at the same time, but they're likely to be different kits, even different scales.

About a decade ago, I DID build two Hobbycraft Hawker Sea Furies at the same time. They both sat for years waiting for paint. I finished the blue one about two years ago, and the silver one last fall.

HCSeaFury110.jpg

HCSeaFury206_zpscd2753b6.jpg

Edited by Snake45

I've only done duplicate projects a couple of times, back in the late 1970's, both projects on commission. The first was a run of 6 AMT Budweiser Beer Wagon kits, all done for AMT to use as presentations to Budweiser,

The second was a run of 25 1978 Penske PC-6 Indy cars, for Gould Corporation to present to Rick Mears, Roger Penske, Gould executives and the rest for display around the country. Those were all done from early test shots of the kit provided by AMT, all parts shot in yellow plastic. AMT did have the chrome parts trees specially plated for this project, but no decals--meaning that 25 cars had to not only be painted red, white and blue, but all markings, save for accessory decals, had to be hand painted, and my Mattell Vacuform got a real workout making the windscreens. All cars were secured to walnut bases, and plexiglas cases made, glued together and fixed to the bases.

Needless to say, I have never even considered such builds since.

Art

I've only done duplicate projects a couple of times, back in the late 1970's, both projects on commission. The first was a run of 6 AMT Budweiser Beer Wagon kits, all done for AMT to use as presentations to Budweiser,

The second was a run of 25 1978 Penske PC-6 Indy cars, for Gould Corporation to present to Rick Mears, Roger Penske, Gould executives and the rest for display around the country. Those were all done from early test shots of the kit provided by AMT, all parts shot in yellow plastic. AMT did have the chrome parts trees specially plated for this project, but no decals--meaning that 25 cars had to not only be painted red, white and blue, but all markings, save for accessory decals, had to be hand painted, and my Mattell Vacuform got a real workout making the windscreens. All cars were secured to walnut bases, and plexiglas cases made, glued together and fixed to the bases.

Needless to say, I have never even considered such builds since.

Art

A super big wow! 25 at one time, what a chore, and especially since you had to had paint the details.

Joe Cavorley was a master truck builder who died close to 20 years ago. He once scratch built a 1940s Dodge Texaco Tanker on commission for the guy who owned it. The guy even flew him to the truck, which I believe was in the Henry Ford Museum. Joe built two exact replicas at the same time, and kept one for himself.

I also remember someone displaying a truckload of Dodge Omnis at an early NNL East. Anyone who builds six Dodge Omnis deserves credit!

For some fool reason I thought (Back in 1995) that the General Lee might never be produced again due to political correctness issues with the roof art..

I built five of them thinking maybe they'd sell to the collector crowd..

Sold three for 100 bucks ea anyway B). Gave the other two as gifts. I'm happy with that. And happy the kit is still the same, hopefully forever.