Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Chevelle kit - Revell vs. AMT

• 2 weeks later...

I don't need a complete review, but I would like to know what kits of the same parentage came before this one. I've checked at eBay and the only one currently being offered is the Streetburner issue (this one).

The reason I ask is that I just built this one a second time, and I had a hard time getting the bumpers to fit - the first time, which was several years ago, seemed to go much smoother and it's still in my display cabinet. Checked the bumpers and they looked like they dropped right into place. No excess glue or anything to indicate that the parts didn't fit well. I'm hoping that a previous release will be less of a problem with fitment. :unsure:

Edited by fseva

I have only seen the street burner issue of the Baldwin Motion version. I don't think it has been issued a second time but may have had a second run of this tool with the same box.

I know that is a modified reissue of the Monogram 70 Chevelle SS 454. I believe it was first issued in the early 80's.

I have only seen the street burner issue of the Baldwin Motion version. I don't think it has been issued a second time but may have had a second run of this tool with the same box.

I was wondering about that - if a second run was released, it could have been somewhat worn, right? That could account for my difficulty with the kit...

• 2 years later...
On 1/6/2015 at 12:16 PM, Snake45 said:

I've built the (now) Revell (ex-Monogram) 1/24, have several copies of the AMT 1/25 in the pile, and have the newer Revell 1/25 snapper on the bench as we speak. The Revell snapper has the most accurately shaped body of the three, except for the hood CI bulge, which is a little undersized. It's definitely my favorite of the three, but then I'm fine with "cubside" (no engine) style.

Lots of pics of the 1/25 Revell SnapTite '70 Chevelle SS 454 kit's contents here: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/772/25-revell-1952-chevelle-454

8dcbb471-a56e-4eff-b1f8-9b0e839a383e.jpg

Another version of this very same kit has the body parts molded in blue and the interior parts white, so pick your poison, or mix and match as desired: https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/rm/build_rm_1932.shtml

Revell70SS454blue.jpg

There's also the original issue of this kit in the Wheels of Fire packaging, with a body shell molded in dark green, but which included stock Magnum 500 style wheels:

ReveWOF70ChevelleSS.jpg

I would definitely chose this kit as a starting point for a '70 SS build, curbside and all. I don't have an MPC/AMT '69 Cutlass nor a Revell '72 Cutlass to test fit under the body shell, but my gut feeling is it would be a little snug, do to the slightly thicker-than-a-glue-kit nature of the body shell. This kit has some very nicely molded details, the bucket seat fabric (vinyl?) texture and the nameplates/emblems on the body shell in particular-- very crisp and as well detailed as any glue-together kit. The separate headlight bezels/buckets are a nice touch, though the pinned headlight lenses (and matching holes in the bottom of the buckets) sort of cancel that detail out. 

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, Casey said:

The separate headlight bezels/buckets are a nice touch, though the pinned headlight lenses (and matching holes in the bottom of the buckets) sort of cancel that detail out. 

The trick to dealing with those is to paint the end of the stem white--not silver, white. Then stem then fiber-optics it and virtually disappears. I routinely have to do with diecasts. 

25 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The trick to dealing with those is to paint the end of the stem white--not silver, white. Then stem then fiber-optics it and virtually disappears. I routinely have to do with diecasts. 

Good tip. I recall the separate (as in individual, not all joined by a backing plate as on the Revell SnapTite kit) headlight buckets were a finicky fit on the 1/24 Monogram Malibu, but I want to say the lenses didn't have any mounting pins, either.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Good tip. I recall the separate (as in individual, not all joined by a backing plate as on the Revell SnapTite kit) headlight buckets were a finicky fit on the 1/24 Monogram Malibu, but I want to say the lenses didn't have any mounting pins, either.

I think you're right. I used a pair of those lenses on something else a couple years ago and I don't recall having to deal with stalks on them. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2015 at 3:55 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I like the way the finished headlights look much better on the Revellogram kit than the AMT version. The Revell body is reasonably well proportioned, but it has mold parting lines on the sides that can be a lot of work to get gone without wrecking the character lines that are supposed to be there. I'm not wild about the big-block engine in the Revell version either. It has some really wonky angles on the heads where the headers go, and a couple other things I've forgotten. The chrome valve covers are very nice, however.

This is my build of the Revellogram kit, with a 3" top chop.

DSCN5575.jpg

The AMT kit looks to me (though I don't have one on the shelf at the moment) to have some oddly exaggerated not-correct sculpting on the body sides, judging from pix of built kits. Here's more shots of this champagne metallic one built by Túlio Lazzaroni (below) on this forum. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/?showtopic=84581

12090682923_3d5f0f6068_c.jpg

This is the real car. Notice the very subtle sculpting of the fender bulges, which is not like the AMT kit pictured above.

6363.jpg

I think those bulges are shadow renderings by artists that AMT mistakingly thought was actually sheet metal

3 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

I think those bulges are shadow renderings by artists that AMT mistakingly thought was actually sheet metal

That would explain it...but you'd think (at least I would) that there would have been somebody in the QA chain that caught it before it went to final tooling.

Just now, Ace-Garageguy said:

That would explain it...but you'd think (at least I would) that there would have been somebody in the QA chain that caught it before it went to final tooling.

I carefully sand them smooth to replicate the real car.

7 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

Has anyone tried fitting the AMT new-tool 70 Monte Carlo guts to the Revell Snapper body?

I'm pretty sure someone had, and has posted pics, but I can't seem to pull them up with a search. Might've been on another forum, though.

I have one of the Revell snap kits, but my plan, if it ever proceeds, is to use the snap kit's interior and body with either the MPC '69 Cutlass or Revell '72 Cutlass frame and suspension, then use the 454 BBC from the AMT '70 Monte Carlo or AMT '70.5 B-M Camaro. The old AMT kits and it multiple year versions is not good and IMHO not worthy of using as a donor when there are far better options available.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm pretty sure someone had, and has posted pics, but I can't seem to pull them up with a search. Might've been on another forum, though.

I have one of the Revell snap kits, but my plan, if it ever proceeds, is to use the snap kit's interior and body with either the MPC '69 Cutlass or Revell '72 Cutlass frame and suspension, then use the 454 BBC from the AMT '70 Monte Carlo or AMT '70.5 B-M Camaro. The old AMT kits and it multiple year versions is not good and IMHO not worthy of using as a donor when there are far better options available.

Yes, I was speaking of the 70 Monte Carlo SS 454 kit that was tooled up in the nineties as a donor. I would think that it would be a simple two-kit bash where the Monte pretty much gives everything that's needed. One might need to try using the AMT 70 Chevelle hood though.

7 minutes ago, garagepunk66 said:

Yes, I was speaking of the 70 Monte Carlo SS 454 kit that was tooled up in the nineties as a donor.

Whoops, sorry. I totally missed that. :blink: That would probably be the best all inclusive donor.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Whoops, sorry. I totally missed that. :blink: That would probably be the best all inclusive donor.

Don't forget you'd have to chop that chassis four scale inches. Not a big deal if you know it going in--don't discover it after you've got the chassis built and detailed! :angry:

8 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Don't forget you'd have to chop that chassis four scale inches. Not a big deal if you know it going in--don't discover it after you've got the chassis built and detailed! :angry:

:blink: I'll probably just keep it curbside. :D