Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Camaro SS396 "day two" WIP. Mar 24 update

freakshow12

I managed to make some parts to make these mount perfectly using the supplied metal pins. What a gong show that was. I dislike this new system. I lowered the front 2mm as well. Still going with a late 60s early 70s vibe with this. Still don't know what color.

Does anyone know if GM Santa fe tan is close to butternut yellow?

Hey Fred, those wheels look great. Love to see how this goes together friend. I will do my diligent best to check in once and awhile.

Buy the way I wish I could find some 1/12th scale poly glass good years, my 1/12 COPO is going to require them.

It's just great to see a Ford freak doin a Chevy LOL.

7F49DAFD-071D-45E7-9681-C00A549CFC5D_zps

Here's the cap. I'm thinking that color with black interior and stripe. With those wheels and the period correct mods I think it would look pretty good. I'm also adding stuff a die hard camaro guy would maybe add as the years went by like the factory aluminum heads, chambered exhaust. I hope you guys enjoy the build as much as I have been so far

Does anyone know if GM Santa fe tan is close to butternut yellow?

I don't know what "Santa Fe Tan" looks like but Testor has a light yellow in the little bottles that can pass for Butternut Yellow, Lemonwood Yellow, Mayfair Maize, and other such '60s GM light yellows.

I don't know what "Santa Fe Tan" looks like but Testor has a light yellow in the little bottles that can pass for Butternut Yellow, Lemonwood Yellow, Mayfair Maize, and other such '60s GM light yellows.

I posted a pic of the cap up above your post. Will that pass for a factory color?

Hard to judge from the photo. Here's the paint chips:

http://www.69pace.com/paint2.htm

And here's pics of real cars:

http://www.69pace.com/paint1967butternutyellow.htm

If you're going "Day 2," especially a few years down the pike, you can basically paint it any color you want. It would have just been another used car in those days, subject to a paintjob on its owner's whim, not a valuable collector item worthy of a factory restoration. B)

Edited by Snake45

Thanks guys. The dust caps were made from the valve cover breathers on the glidden t bird. I just cut them to the size I wanted. Snake, you are right. Most of these things saw an early respray but I just can't decide on color. Lol. And Jim, the duster is also slowly moving along

Carl, You asked about Phoenician Yellow for a color match for your Camaro. I have used it on a couple of builds. I think it would look like the very light yellow that GM used on some of it's 60's cars. GM also had a much brighter yellow that could be had on the '69 Camaro also. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

42BC42F3-605A-41AD-9CFB-F3AAE3EFD5F4_zps

A76B2C96-79D6-40A3-8784-A62482C81931_zps

It's yellow. Engine will get the speed parts shown above but the story is this. The owner loved his 67 very much and when the all aluminum 427 came out he had to have it but didn't want a 69 camaro so he dug deep and put one in this car. So he had motion do up a nice aluminum big block for it. Should be fun

• 3 weeks later...