Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche Cayman

Zoom Zoom

To go along w/my "heritage" Boxster built last year, I built a companion Cayman. Basic Fujimi kit painted in Tamiya racing white (black panel lines added to primer before finish color). Interior has some racing white (door panels, lower dash, seat backs), the rest is Porsche "terracotta". I used some nylon mesh for the luggage net, worked very nicely. Wheels are from a Maisto 356, tires from a Revell PT Cruiser. Aside from wheels/tires it's OOB. A little bit of chrome detailing was added; to the "cayman eyes" in front, around side glass, and on rocker panels. I'm also working on a Cayman GT now which is the polar opposite of this build; it's painted in GT3 RS colors of silver w/orange stripes. I like the "heritage" look on this one, it manages to be modern yet the retro parts look pretty cool on it, and I love Porsches of the '50's.

Sorry, no in-progress shots.

IMG_0002-vi.jpg

IMG_0003-vi.jpg

IMG_0004-vi.jpg

IMG_0006-vi.jpg

Boxster I built last year:

8-vi.jpg

Both together last week at club meeting:

IMG_3325-vi.jpg

Thanks for all the comments!

I know it would be strange in 1:1 scale, but that's exactly why building models is fun..you can build something you'll never likely see in 1:1 scale.

I've got a lot of built Porsches, probaby around 20, and a good number unbuilt.

I've got another Cayman nearing completion, but no photos yet. It's a silver Cayman GT with the Scale Productions transkit, custom designed & printed orange "GT" decals and orange wheels/wing ends/mirrors to look like a current GT3 RS that comes in that color combo as well. It's looking pretty good, and I'll have photos and maybe a completion in a week or so...hopefully done for the Birmingham NNL. It was going to be a street/track day car, but I like it too much to cover it w/racing decals. Looks like I'll be doing another with vintage GT1 Rohr markings, in bright yellow. Or maybe an IROC version...who knows.