Model Cars Magazine Forum

Seeking new modellers ?

I submit that a real barrier to kids 'getting into" this hobby is the simple fact that in VERY few places kids have ready, independent access to a hobby shop. When most of us were kids growing up, there were local stores within walking or biking distance from home, where we kids could go, on our own, and shop for a model kit. And that without having to encounter 4-lane thoroughfare streets with no sidewalks, limited places to cross, or at the worst, a reasonably short bus ride downtown (my experience from 55-60 years ago).

Today, it takes Mom or Dad to drive a youngster to a hobby shop (or even a Michaels or Hobby Lobby), and that leads to another problem: Often a parent, while well-meaning, will discourage a son (or even a daughter) from buying a model kit, with the worst reasoning of all: "You won't be able to build that thing!" (or words to that effect)--or "save your money!". This sort of thing is perhaps the worst barrier to a kid wanting to try something new.

And yes, there is also the change in what activities grab a kid's attention. For us, an interactive "toy" back in the 50's or 60's was first that electric train set (or fast forward a few years to a slot racing set), perhaps a Gilbert Erector Set, and finally, a model kit which we could build either straight out of the box, or exercise our own "creativity" and try to build it the way we thought it would look cool. Today, "interactive" means RC, or all manner of digital gadgets which even the creators of Dick Tracy et.al. could never have dreamed up.

And, of course, the "organized" activities for kids today, sports and just about any other sort of planned, adult-managed stuff play a huge part in being a barrier for younger kids. None of them existed to anywhere near the extent that they do nowadays. Couple that with double-income families, single parent households, and "latchkey" kids, again, more barriers.

And last, but not least is the spreading out of kids--where once most neighborhoods were rather densely populated with kids of the same age as we were--today your nearest playmate (or best friend even) could be a couple of blocks away--with the intervening homes being occupied by childless adults, kids either considerably older or younger, which can make it hard for the sort of camaraderie we kids of the 50's through at least the 70's to benefit from.

Sad, but true, of course, I think.

Art

The people my age I've seen come and go mostly tend to be driven away by how they either aren't accepted by the community or they just don't enjoy old dudes bickering over what they consider silly things. I'll be honest I've almost dropped the hobby a time or two because of how knuckle headed many members are in refusing to accept what young people really want to build. I have way more interest in building an FRS or a WRX because it's a performance car from my era that I can see on the open road and dream about owning. I don't care to much for Mustangs or Camaros simply because the chances of me owning a real one are absolutely dismal due to rising collector value and they are inefficient by today's performance standards. The niche that you refuse to accept is the exact same as yours,only with a different skin on the outside. There are still the speed wars put on by manufacturers, all sorts of aftermarket parts for cars, meet ups and clubs that showcase some of the finest examples of these cars, the groups that enjoy these machines often create trends with them, and they are even idolized in film! Speaking from a physiological concept a 1969 Dodge Charger is no different from a 1999 Mazda RX-7,both are iconic cars that a certain demographic dreams of owning because it's a car that that demographic can make a connection with,they are only different physically. So following the impending emotion filled posts about "I owned a charger 30 years ago which gives me superiority,blah blah blah...." or the "Your still to young to understand.." consider comparing the modern culture with the old car culture and you will find that nothing has really changed expect for the cars people express themselves through. ;)

Man, you make some really great points Austin, there are a few good modellers that will get what your saying...despite the herd of close minded / self centered cavemen. :rolleyes: Just because my interests may differ from what you are into, it sure won't stop me from appreciating the models & cars you & your generation work on. Your honest opinions & view are solid and true - only "knuckle heads" :angry: will be threatened by your reasoning. You have the passion & express yourself well. B)

Edited by Krazy Rick

You may have missed my point... which is that the younger crowd likes gadgets and electronics, add some electronics to the mix and you'll have more kids interested...maybe long enough to get hooked on the other aspects of models.

a few years ago they made "hopper" kits for lowrider models, I haven't seen any lately so I don't know if that is still an option.

I think you missed MY point. It didn't seem like either you or Chunky were being respectful of the people who do build imports with "fart cans", or "stupid " lifted trucks, etc. I'm sure there are people who might not like whatever genre you or I enjoy. That's why we have the different areas on this forum- NASCAR, drag, heavy and light commercial, "all the rest"- you might not care for any of them, but there are people who do, and they should be just as accepted in our hobby as those who build tuners or hoppers or custom/showcars or "post apocalyptic vehicles" or ANYTHING else. I'm an old guy, and I know from experience that when I was young, not all of the old guys of the time shared my enthusiasm for whatever I was into. It wasn't very encouraging, but I soldiered on and life went on. Not everyone has the wherewithal to do that. Why add to the situation?

Some people might feel that they don't care what happens to this hobby in the future; once they're gone, they're gone. So be it. Some of us would like to see it continue, incorporating advances in technology as it goes. Nothing wrong with that, either. I would like to see it continue, but I won't lose any sleep over it. But, I don't like any closed-minded attitudes or expressions of opinions that might chase the future of our hobby away. There is no cause or call to do so. Let people build what they want to build, with no discouraging remarks, and we can all co-exist, content in our world of scale creations.

"Different strokes for different folks". S. Stone

(edited due to my misspelling)

Edited by johnbuzzed

The people my age I've seen come and go mostly tend to be driven away by how they either aren't accepted by the community or they just don't enjoy old dudes bickering over what they consider silly things. I'll be honest I've almost dropped the hobby a time or two because of how knuckle headed many members are in refusing to accept what young people really want to build. I have way more interest in building an FRS or a WRX because it's a performance car from my era that I can see on the open road and dream about owning. I don't care to much for Mustangs or Camaros simply because the chances of me owning a real one are absolutely dismal due to rising collector value and they are inefficient by today's performance standards. The niche that you refuse to accept is the exact same as yours,only with a different skin on the outside. There are still the speed wars put on by manufacturers, all sorts of aftermarket parts for cars, meet ups and clubs that showcase some of the finest examples of these cars, the groups that enjoy these machines often create trends with them, and they are even idolized in film! Speaking from a physiological concept a 1969 Dodge Charger is no different from a 1999 Mazda RX-7,both are iconic cars that a certain demographic dreams of owning because it's a car that that demographic can make a connection with,they are only different physically. So following the impending emotion filled posts about "I owned a charger 30 years ago which gives me superiority,blah blah blah...." or the "Your still to young to understand.." consider comparing the modern culture with the old car culture and you will find that nothing has really changed expect for the cars people express themselves through. ;)

Amen. One day, you'll be an old guy too, and there were old guys before us, and before them... just try to remember what you posted here and you'll do fine. Pass it along, too.

Edited by johnbuzzed

I think you missed MY point. It didn't seem like either you or Chunky were being respectful of the people who do build imports with "fart cans", or "stupid " lifted trucks, etc. I'm sure there are people who might not like whatever genre you or I enjoy. That's why we have the different areas on this forum- NASCAR, drag, heavy and light commercial, "all the rest"- you might not care for any of them, but there are people who do, and they should be just as accepted in our hobby as those who build tuners or hoppers or custom/showcars or "post apocalyptic vehicles" or ANYTHING else. I'm an old guy, and I know from experience that when I was young, not all of the old guys of the time shared my enthusiasm for whatever I was into. It wasn't very encouraging, but I soldiered on and life went on. Not everyone has the wherewithal to do that. Why add to the situation?

Some people might feel that they don't care what happens to this hobby in the future; once they're gone, they're gone. So be it. Some of us would like to see it continue, incorporating advances in technology as it goes. Nothing wrong with that, either. I would like to see it continue, but I won't lose any sleep over it. But, I don't like any closed-minded attitudes or expressions of opinions that might chase the future of our hobby away. There is no cause or call to do so. Let people build what they want to build, with no discouraging remarks, and we can all co-exist, content in our world of scale creations.

"Different strokes for different folks". S. Stone

(edited due to my misspelling)

I could debate your assumptions regarding my comments or attitude as you see it but I feel your attitude is showing here a bit more than mine. Please take a chill-pill and soldier on.

I could debate your assumptions regarding my comments or attitude as you see it but I feel your attitude is showing here a bit more than mine. Please take a chill-pill and soldier on.

Nahhh- it's all a matter of opinion. I might not like yours, but I respect it. I'll save the "chill-pill" for you. Have a good day.

Perhaps flinging feces at each other like little monkeys :rolleyes: ........ may not be the best path to take, in order to continue with this topic in a positive; helpful way. We have some really great ideas presented so far; let's try to go in that direction & see where it takes us.

I find it more likely for myself to own a '69 Cuda than a '14 WRX. Maybe it's just Roadkill clouding my mind, but it would be cheaper to get a classic than a new car.

Some of those classics could be not-too-cheap, especially if they are in good condition and drivable. If they are relatively inexpensive, chances are that you'll have to put some $$$ into them. Usually, downtime goes hand-in-hand with that. I've been there and it's not fun. And, sometimes, practicality rears it's ugly head, and the better option might be the newer, usually more reliable car that delivers better ga$ mileage. Unless properly tuned at all times, those classics usually do not give great MPG- and, the price of gas is on it's way up, again. But, given the right circum$tance$, a '68 Road Runner would be in my sights, along with a few other classics and a couple of current cars.

I agree with Jantrix. When we were young, we had models, pick-up games, or just hanging out. That was are thing. Now days I phones, I pads, video games is what there generations thing is. We can't push something on someone who does not have the interest, just like they can't push video games and such on us if we don't want. What ever happens will happen. Things will work themselves out.

I agree with Jantrix. When we were young, we had models, pick-up games, or just hanging out. That was are thing. Now days I phones, I pads, video games is what there generations thing is. We can't push something on someone who does not have the interest, just like they can't push video games and such on us if we don't want. What ever happens will happen. Things will work themselves out.

I think you've got it nailed Mike.

Scott

The people my age I've seen come and go mostly tend to be driven away by how they either aren't accepted by the community or they just don't enjoy old dudes bickering over what they consider silly things. I'll be honest I've almost dropped the hobby a time or two because of how knuckle headed many members are in refusing to accept what young people really want to build. I have way more interest in building an FRS or a WRX because it's a performance car from my era that I can see on the open road and dream about owning.

Okay guys, my point right from the horse's mouth. Here's a young guy's view of our community. There are babbling old fools in this hobby who think they stopped making cars around 1970, and anyone who drives or appreciates anything beyond that is the devil! Austin is doing exactly what we did as young people... he is building cars from his personal experience. I wouldn't expect him to get all excited about cars that were produced 30-50 years before he was born. Those of us who build 1950s-60s cars lived in that era, and we are reliving this through our models. I'm sure Austin will still like the cars from his era when he is our age. So give this generation a break!

So get over it and welcome young folks into our community. NNL East created the category of Modern Sports and Tuners specifically to invite young guys. We are working with a group of very nice young modelers to populate the table and bring more young folks in. It's the future of our hobby.

We can't push something on someone who does not have the interest,

Agreed, but it's a crying shame when we discourage those who do!

And I have to agree that owning a classic is so much better all kids talk about is stance this and turbo sti vtec what ever that, then there's me who brings up a conversation about jaguars or old mustangs and they just look at me

When ever you find this STI with Vtec please let me know, much of the community has been searching for this elusive rarity for some time.

I brought in plastic and some of my builds to Art Club one day, and a lot of people really thought it was cool. Everybody tried making stuff with plastic, which they found intimidating at first, but then they saw how easy it really is. Nobody asked me about car kits or anything, but at least I got some people looking at modeling in general.

It's an expression form, and that's why I love it. B)

And I have to agree that owning a classic is so much better all kids talk about is stance this and turbo sti vtec what ever that, then there's me who brings up a conversation about jaguars or old mustangs and they just look at me

Remember- one day, those WRXs, et al, will be classics. The only thing constant is change.

I brought in plastic and some of my builds to Art Club one day, and a lot of people really thought it was cool. Everybody tried making stuff with plastic, which they found intimidating at first, but then they saw how easy it really is. Nobody asked me about car kits or anything, but at least I got some people looking at modeling in general.

It's an expression form, and that's why I love it. B)

Every now and then, I'll have a picture of one of my builds on my desktop, here at work. Some people find it hard to believe that they're not real cars and it's fascinating to watch their reactions as I tell them about it.

The world has changed, and the whole instant gratification thing is only a symptom. The "can do", self reliant attitude left in the wake of WW2 had a lot to do (and the memories of widespread rationing, constant low-grade fear, no new cars for the duration, etc.) I believe, with the way things were then. Life in this country in general has now become pretty easy to get by in, and developing some kind of manual or technical skill just isn't seen as necessary, or cool, these days. You can buy a lot of reliable performance car on the second-hand market easy-payment-plan, so there's no real incentive to build a hot-rod ANYTHING, unless you just want to do something different...which is as unusual now as ever. It takes considerably more knowledge to performance-tune a recent vehicle than it took to build a hot-rod when I was young, and getting dirty doing it has lost its appeal to a generation that gets a pretty decent used car from Dad (and they're not even expected to mow the lawn in return).

But also, when I was young, I firmly believe more people had hobbies. And that's why hobby shops were available to us as kids...not for us, but for our parents. Adults had model train layouts in my neighborhood, and some guys built hi-fi systems and dabbled with electronics. Others had woodworking shops where they made great looking furniture. My own father built models, kites, and a full-scale Snipe sailboat from plans. A lot of models came as a block of wood, and a picture of what the finished model was supposed to look like, but many "modelers" today cry and complain if the parts don't all but self-assemble. There are STILL people who build models from scratch, and who engage in the other hobbies too, but the percentage is certainly down. Just compare a vintage issue of Popular Mechanics, with a wide range of plans and projects to do yourself, with anything on the market today.

It's very true that parental influence is usually necessary to expose youngsters to anything their peers don't care about, and as people are generally herd animals who go along to get along, doing something different from your peers, no matter at WHAT age, is just too radical for many folks.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

There is hot rodding, most definitely, but to a lesser extent. Things are just too complicated with new cars, computers and such.

Absolutely. The tech it takes and the knowledge to modify it is staggering compared to what it took to put a carb, cam, manifold and headers on an old Mustang.

Even in my own work building mostly "traditional" cars, a lot of the clients want EFI and computer-controlled automatic gearboxes.