Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does Purple Power/Super Clean Have a Shelf Life?

Wondering if anyone knows what the life of a gallon of Castrol Super Clean is once it is used? The last couple of models that I have put in my plastic container full of the solvent have not done so well as far as removing the paint goes. As a matter of fact, nothing really seems to be happening. It seemed to be working fine up until the last couple of strip jobs and suddenly, it's not doing anything. Would it lose it's potency within a couple of weeks or is it perhaps the type of paint that is on the models. I have no idea what the paint is but the one truck cab seems to chip quite easily indicating possibly lacquer. Any suggestions? I have tried scuffing the paint surface to open the pores and allow the solvent an easier way in but that does nothing and the parts look the same when they come out of the solvent as when they went in. Any suggestions? Advice?

Gary,

It 'wears out' after use, but how soon seems to vary. It is not as effective on lacquers as it is on enamels and acrylics, and it may seem to stall out if you use it on lacquer.

It usually works for quite awhile (weeks) before losing effectiveness, but that also depends on how much it's used during those weeks.

Regarding your issue, try some 91% alcohol on that truck cab.

I just ditched a batch I have had and used for close to 10 years now, and it still worked like it did when I first poured it. I keep it in a covered Tupperware dish. I replaced that batch with some from a bottle I have had for at least 4 or 5 years and had been opened at some point. stuck a body in it and in 12 hours all paint was loose and ready to brush off.

in other words, if it has a life expectancy, its probably at least equal to that of the pet dog as long as he doesn't drink the stuff

jb

Thank you for the wisdom and counsel. Mine is about three years old and if has spent much of its life in what was suggested, a covered plastic Tupperware style dish. It still seemed to be working although there have been a whack of models that have gone through it but it isn't touching that truck cab. I also recently put an El Camino camper from an old '59 El Camino kit in and that was two days ago. I checked it yesterday but nothing much seemed to be happening. It seems a bit odd that it would suddenly stop working unless I have somehow coincidentally come across a few models that are painted with paints that are immune to the stripper. I'll try Easy Off as I have some here and if that doesn't work, the alcohol and then my last resort, brake fluid - which I hate using. It also seems a bit strange that the cleaner stripped everything that I put in it up until that truck cab... I'll see how it goes and post the results. Thanks all... :):):)

I know I've had trouble depending on what paint was used. It will barely touch flat black & I've had issues with a few other paints as well. The bane of my existence is looking at an old builtup on ebay that I'm interested in & trying to somehow "glean" what type of paint was used. Nothing worse than spending a wad on a kit that you can't get the paint stripped on! :angry: Steve

It depends on whose flat black it was, too - the '61 Falcon chassis and interior I just stripped came out very clean; the same parts on a '62 Continental were very defiant (the Testors stripper finally got the bulk of it). Both were painted flat black in the 1960s.

I'm sure that's very true. I'm guessing a lot of kids in the 60s just used whatever paint was handy. Not always hobby paint. I have yet to have an old ebay acquisition with flat black painted parts com clean, either with Super Clean or Easy Off. Don't know how brake fluid would work on it, I avoid it like the plague! :) Steve

I find if you give a light sanding to the paint surface it helps a lot to get the ball rolling....or paint peeling if you will.

That makes sense. I've found, at least with automotive lacquer, that the super clean has little to no affect on the paint itself. It dissolves the primer & the paint comes off in sheets. So breaking the surface would help get the ball rolling I would think. Steve