Model Cars Magazine Forum

After two false starts on projects I finally have settled on one that I have been wanting to do for some time. The truck in the photo is a 1952 Ford F-7 that was built into a brush truck by the Maxim Motor Company. The local fire department actually had two of these rigs; the other one having been built by the Farrar Company. The cab on the right was the same as the white 1950 F-1 on the left. With some plastic strips and a resin grill the cab on the right is the result. Wheel wells were also opened up for larger tires.

001_zps51556f24.jpg

Got a bit of modeling done on the Ford. The frame is from an AMT ALF kit; shortened and modified some. The light blue parts and engine are from the 1950 Ford F-1 kit. Wheels are from the same AMT kit but changed to 8 lugs. The front wheels can be posed now that I have made up some brass knuckles for the axle. Still some tweaking to go on that aspect of things but it's coming along.

006_zps80460fad.jpg

005_zpsb8361c9a.jpg

004_zpsfbc70bb0.jpg

002_zpsee04e79e.jpg

003_zps7b14f797.jpg

The 4 WD was added by Marmon Herrington when the chassis was delivered to Maxim for the fire body and bar work. The wheel base was short (147") so it made it easy to maneuver in a wooded envirionment. Will post some more pics in a little bit. The chassis is about done, tires and wheels have been painted. Been doing some tedious work to create the F7 badge and trim for the hood sides. One is complete and is made of 3 pieces of brass. Now the fun begins to try and make another one for the other side of the hood!

With all of the snow on the ground there isn't much to be done outside (except shovel snow) so it has been a good time to get some more work done on the F7. Tires and wheels have been painted. The hood side trim has been made up from brass strip stock and some tubing. I'm hoping to nickel plate them and then finish off the circle part with some resin and an F7 decal. "BIG JOB" will also be on the center piece. The four brass crosses are the beginning of the universal joints for the driveshafts.

018_zpsabcpoaky.jpg

020_zpsw5sydpbb.jpg

Cab and frame got a coat of primer. That sure does bring out the flaws! Got a bit of sanding to do. I did get the two hood side trim pieces plated yesterday and added some epoxy and a daub of red paint to the circle. Now for some F-7 and BIG JOB badges for each one and they will be ready to attach once the hood is painted.

021_zpsmy4pcdsg.jpg

022_zpshaubzyan.jpg