Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Impala SS (Completed on 12 Mar 2015)

taaron76

I wanted to try and knock the exterior paint out in the next couple of days since that takes the longest to dry, so I panel scribed and primed the main body parts. I also did the spoon test since I haven't sprayed with the Testors Aztek series acrylics yet. I chose pearl red for the lower portion of the body, and pearl white for the upper portion. I am not totally sold on the pearl white just yet because it didn't seem to flow like I wanted it too, but we will see. If I don't like it, I might go with bright white or titanium... haven't decided yet. Clear coat will be Tamiya with a light brown/beige interior.

My plan is the split the car right at the top of the molding line that runs the length of the car and divide it in half. Top half pearl white, lower half pearl red. We will see...

Tim

Impala-vi.jpg

It's hard to tell that the white is pearl.

SpoonTest-vi.jpg

I ordered the Master Tools-Line Engraver off of Amazon and it's a useful little tool. Well worth the $10.00.

TRUMPETER-ENGRAVER74.jpg

The panel/body lines are really defined now, which I really like. One day I will venture into cutting the doors and trunk out. One day... lol

PrimerBody-vi.jpg

Here is what I envision the stance to be. I know, I know... not many people are a fan of the "big wheels", but they fit so good in the big wheel wells.

Stance-vi.jpg

Edited by taaron76

I had a slight change of heart when it came to the color scheme. I loved the pearl red, but wasn't sold on the pearl white. The new color scheme is pearl read on the top, and black on the bottom. Engine bay, engine, firewall, radiator support and fan shroud are all pearl red. Something different I suppose... Anyhow, I am working on getting the body painted now, at least the top portion, so I will post some pics a little later. I think this one will be titled the "Trailer Queen". lol

Tim

Thanks to the snow day, I was able to get most of the painting done to get started with the build.

Should I give the motor a light wash, or leave it? I was thinking very, very light wash would do it. Thoughts? Yes, those plug wires are white. I figured it was different...

Eng1-vi.jpg

Eng2-vi.jpg

Eng3-vi.jpg

I got the top half of the body painted with the base coat (pearl red) and gave it two light coats of clear. The dividing line will be in the middle of the body molding, which will be BMF'd once its complete. The lower portion where the primer is will be black. That pearl red is a really pretty color, but its hard to bring it out in these pics.

BodyPaint1-vi.jpg

I thought this would be a little different than just plain old semi-gloss black. I always try to paint my radiators aluminum, if I can.

RadiatorSupportShroud-vi.jpg

The engine bay and firewall are pearl red as well.

EngineBay1-vi.jpg

Thanks guys! The frame was a little warp/twisted, so its in the vice right now. I had to glue the interior bottom with the fenderwells into the frame to try and get it to straighten out. Once I put tension on the vice, it straightened out. Now, just to wait for a day or so and see what happens. Hopefully it will straighten out like I need it to. I didn't notice it until I started putting the suspension together.

Tim

ImpalaWarp-vi.jpg

Probably a little unorthodox... but it works. lol

ImpalaWarp1-vi.jpg

Finally got the engine finished, for the most part. I had to pin the fuel pump, it wasn't cooperating when trying to run the fuel lines. Unfortunately, I couldn't get rid of the chassis warp completely, so hopefully it won't be detrimental to the build. Here are a couple of pics of my latest progress.

Tim

Eng7-vi.jpg

Eng8-vi.jpg

Eng9-vi.jpg

Eng10-vi.jpg

Eng11-vi.jpg

Chassis3-vi.jpg

Chassis4-vi.jpg

Chassis5-vi.jpg

Chassis6-vi.jpg