Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Look 2015 Detroit Cobo Autorama/Autorama Extreme

tim boyd

Thanks for posting these Tim. Your pictures are always great. The AAR Lime Green Cuda picture #883 is a friend of mine I used to work with. the Shop that did the work also did the 70 Chevelle next to it.

I truly like the Dart better than the Foose Car for the win, but Foose has a name and the shop that did the Dart are first timers at this show. Must have talked to the owner of the dart for 1/2 an hour. The Foose car looks fat and short like me in my eyes , but that is the cool thing about cars we all see things different.

Andy...thanks for the info. I took about 20 pictures of the AAR and posted them in my folder with pictures for correcting the Revell '70 'cuda. There are other pictures of a Lime Green '70 AAR from two prior Cobo Autoramas also posted there...I presume that they may be the same vehicle. In any case, he did a great job restoring it.

For the Ridler, I can honestly say that any of the Great 8 this year would be a good Ridler winner. My three most favorite of the eight were the Foose car, the '65 Dart (for the sheer audaciousness of using that body style), and the '56 Fury (based on just how good it looks in this build). I think Foose will win based on the degree of body revisions he did and how well they came out, but it will be interesting to see the final result - my track record of predicting Ridler winners is not very good.

TIM

Mike...sure agree with you on the idea of applying this to other 60's body styles.

One of the reasons this looks so good on the Impala is that, if I am recalling the discussion correctly (given the number of years that have passed), Chip told me the idea here was to combine the '65 Impala with the '63 Vette styling...which works really well because both cars were developed with what stylists call the "same design language".

If this same idea was applied to other cars of the '60's, it would be interesting to see if the organic nature of the result works without having a second influence like the Vette. For instance, the Galaxie 500 and Mustang shared very little design language, and trying to combine the two wouldn't work very well. Nor a Fury and a Barracuda.

Still....it would sure be interesting to see some modelers try this approach...a '67 Galaxie 500 Fastback might be a good place to start?

TIM .

I had a pretty good look at the cars and I think the Dart is the best of the bunch, in my humble opinion...and 50 plus years of car shows :) The owner told me the only stock parts on the Dart are the door hinges...everything else has been modified, cut or reshaped from wheelbase to roof. And yet, when you look at it, it is done so smoothly you almost can't tell.

The 57 Plymouth is my second choice, like the Dart, because it is a most unusual subject and extremely well done and the colour is perfect!

I had a good look at the Foose 65 and as I walked around it, it looked out of proportion from some angles. The Foose name will carry some votes for it. One thing against it may be the fact that it is from Canada and a car from Canada won last year. Oh, I'm from Canada, eh :)

Mike...sure agree with you on the idea of applying this to other 60's body styles.

One of the reasons this looks so good on the Impala is that, if I am recalling the discussion correctly (given the number of years that have passed), Chip told me the idea here was to combine the '65 Impala with the '63 Vette styling...which works really well because both cars were developed with what stylists call the "same design language".

If this same idea was applied to other cars of the '60's, it would be interesting to see if the organic nature of the result works without having a second influence like the Vette. For instance, the Galaxie 500 and Mustang shared very little design language, and trying to combine the two wouldn't work very well. Nor a Fury and a Barracuda.

Still....it would sure be interesting to see some modelers try this approach...a '67 Galaxie 500 Fastback might be a good place to start?

TIM .

funny you should mention the 67 Galaxie, I did a little photochopping a while back but can't afford to pay the prices that 67 Galaxies are going for....not even a glue bomb.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61461&page=3#entry871309