Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toyota Century: Shakotan Limo

LAone

Its been a while since i have done anything but buy kits. I started this as part a contest on another forum, but stopped since I ran into some personal issues. I wanted something clean and simple. Lowered stance, deep offset wheels and camber.

The kit is from aoshima.

Box art.

century-1.jpg

The plan

759B3E4E-EF79-40E1-A7AC-A7684A9FB376-909

So far so good.

DB24A4D5-A116-45C0-BCF3-22B96220D7D4-961

EB4CEF7B-2079-4209-8BAE-C0ABB9FBFE78-961

52FDC108-E493-4CD7-B132-914F370B0397-961

The seats looked rather plane.. I added a bit of wear detail.

As you can see, the one on the right is before and the left is after.

BCA08BB7-3CE6-4A62-A2D9-C51AE0EAD709-518

Here they are together.

947A3CE4-5F14-46C8-B974-10BC1DA521CB-518

I hope to have the parts painted this weekend. Slowly but surely its getting there...

Cool. It amazes me that people actually run cars with this sort of camber and poke/stretch combination. That 4 door looks really good too, looking forward to seeing more.

Is the body painted? If so that's a nice deep black you've got there.

50 views and 1 reply... wow...

Any time a car is customized in such a way to be generally mechanically unhealthy for the car, us old timers rail against it. Nothing personal to the builder, Luis does excellent work. It's just a case of, "If you can't say something nice............".

Thanks guys.

Brandon, I used a bead reamer mounted to my dremel. Then used tamiya extra thin cement to smooth it out.

Rob, you "old timers" make me smile. Love you guys.... :D if it wasn't for you guys I wouldn't be modeling.

It doesn't really bother me that there are plenty of views but hardly any replies. Not all my builds are everyone's glass of whiskey and I'm cool with that.

It's definitely an interesting look. I'm an old fossil who's been building fast 1:1 cars forever and it still bothers me that you'd have to put tires on it every time you came back from a night on the town. Cool idea to do it to a limo...make the chauffeur change the tires every day.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Any time a car is customized in such a way to be generally mechanically unhealthy for the car, us old timers rail against it. quote]

I'm an old timer and I like to watch people build stuff that's not my style.

So do I. I was just suggesting a possibility why there aren't more comments.

Thanks guys. :D

Joe, I like to keep a positive attitude. Opinions are opinions. Most of the time its advice incorrectly written.

Bill, I like fast cars too. I have one that might interest you a bit if you like Ferrari's. :D

Gary, there actually is one of these in the US, it's low and sporting some spoked out wheels. When I get a chance I'll find a pic.

Brandon, no worries man. Eventually imports will get their day in the lime light. :D

Rob, thanks again.

Unfortunately no update. My wife had her wisdom teeth taken out, so papa bear had to take the baby for a couple nights. Just waiting for her to feel better so I can get back on this. :D

Small update.

Well the temps have not been friendly, nor are they going to be anytime soon.

I painted and clear coated the body, but ended up with a matt paint job cause it was too cold.

I tried to do a hot box method but did do it the right way. So I'll be wet sanding the bit of lint that ended up on it and trying out the hot box again. The right way this time.

Just metallic black here.

3979E1E3-B293-4AC8-81CC-E8EC61A91889-104

After gloss. It looks like matt black. Looked sweet when it was wet.

D34EE204-4687-424D-9530-A44370B6D6E3-243

656DCB17-A48A-4123-8DEA-81DCADF0627E-243

• 4 weeks later...

Soooo today was a nice day, which lead to a fairly nice night before the rain came....haha

I took some advice from Raees/dadaman to warm up a box and to put the cleared body into it so it doesn't "blush" up.

The results.....well see for yourself. Stayed shiny unlike the first attempt.

48810170-627C-469D-98DF-3421F25DD9FB-295

272176BE-E4B1-4FEA-9C9E-C828591A2032-295

A0674D09-6CE1-4A29-B531-A6E918902087-295

• 1 month later...