Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Moebius Ford Pick-ups 1971 Ranger XLT AND 1969 Custom SWB

SteveG

ere's the comparison that really has me wondering what happened:

003-M.jpg

That's a pretty agreeable side day light opening on the pattern.

002-M.jpg

WIndow frame and radii seem pretty good for scale there too.

So how did we get to this DLO (side window outline) from those patterns?

MK691-vi.jpg

Test shot could be short shot inside the side window opening, leading to the thinness and the wonkiness and what appears to be a poor fitting vent glass. Test shots are shot at lower than normal pressure and are more prone to short shots than production kits.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Having been around quite a few test shots (and the occasional tooling mockup) from my days at Stevens Intl when they were Trumpeter's sole US importer and were doing exclusive AMT reissues I can tell you that the difference between test shot and production kit can be night and day. Test shots are usually shot on old worn out injection machines using whatever dregs of plastic they have laying around the tooling shop (often not even styrene). The best ones are the ones from reissues that have swirls of cosmoline mixed into the plastic.

Having been around quite a few test shots (and the occasional tooling mockup) from my days at Stevens Intl when they were Trumpeter's sole US importer and were doing exclusive AMT reissues I can tell you that the difference between test shot and production kit can be night and day. Test shots are usually shot on old worn out injection machines using whatever dregs of plastic they have laying around the tooling shop (often not even styrene). The best ones are the ones from reissues that have swirls of cosmoline mixed into the plastic.

A test shot is produced using the finished tooling, no? The material injected is irrelevant, it's the shape of the steel molds that determines what the parts look like.

How can the contours and thickness of the window frame change from test shot to production model unless the molds were modified?

Well if I read Brett right, it ain't just the material but the injection machine - which on test shots is usually smaller, older, not quite up to full production line standards. So the pressure maybe isn't quite fully calibrated and the mold doesn't fill completely.

The window perimeter edges look pretty clean for such a scenario as that. On the other hand, one would certainly hope the upper border isn't as wavy as it appears...

Well if I read Brett right, it ain't just the material but the injection machine - which on test shots is usually smaller, older, not quite up to full production line standards. So the pressure maybe isn't quite fully calibrated and the mold doesn't fill completely.

The window perimeter edges look pretty clean for such a scenario as that. On the other hand, one would certainly hope the upper border isn't as wavy as it appears...

Look closely. There's no "short shot" there. And even if there was (which there isn't)... how would you explain the fact that the window frames are wider than the ones on Sean's buildup? :blink:

The molds used to create that test shot and the molds to create the parts Sean built are different. Look at the seam line on the roof of Sean's model... behind the side window upper rear corner. It's not on the test shot...

Look closely. There's no "short shot" there. And even if there was (which there isn't)... how would you explain the fact that the window frames are wider than the ones on Sean's buildup? :blink:

oh, just caught this - no, what was suggested is that Sean's model, built from a test shot, may have been short-shot relative to the resin patterns with the wider door frames that look better.

But yeah - I'd expect a lot more of a mess around the window perimeter from a short shot.

I was just throwing an idea out there about the waviness in the top edge. Take from someone who's seen test shots from Chinese manufacturers, you see all sorts of weirdness going on that doesn't end up on production kits. Anyway, it's all just speculation since none of us has an actual production kit in our hands yet. It may have been caught and fixed, or maybe not. The good news is, if the frames are too small, it's a matter of removing material from the mold to make them thicker, so it's something that could be fixed without having to cut an entire new side mold.

Edited by Brett Barrow

I was just throwing an idea out there about the waviness in the top edge. Take from someone who's seen test shots from Chinese manufacturers, you see all sorts of weirdness going on that doesn't end up on production kits. Anyway, it's all just speculation since none of us has an actual production kit in our hands yet. It may have been caught and fixed, or maybe not. The good news is, if the frames are too small, it's a matter of removing material from the mold to make them thicker, so it's something that could be fixed without having to cut an entire new side mold.

And the better news is, Moebius has shown that they will make corrections. Their Chrysler 300 had horrible problems with the body shell. After they posted a test shot here, we all chimed in, and they fixed the problems! B)

And the better news is, Moebius has shown that they will make corrections. Their Chrysler 300 had horrible problems with the body shell. After they posted a test shot here, we all chimed in, and they fixed the problems! B)

Oh yeah, the roof was jacked, right?* Forgot about that. I hope they don't delay this one, I've been getting at least one call a day from customers who preordered asking when it's going to be out!

*Or was that the 56 300B test shot? I seem to remember threads on both.

Edited by Brett Barrow

And, several were fixed that you never noticed in that pic, and some afterward! i

Art

I always thought that Goldline camper looked cool. Ford had ties to that company for awhile and showed that camper in many ads. Now it would be neat if someone made that camper in 1/25th scale to go with the long wheelbase Moebius Ford pickup. The '71.

Scott

I'd like to mention that I added the included seperate upper chrome trim piece to the bottom of the hood which makes the grill on my test shot model look tall compared to the photos that have been posted...

The hood chrome was actually only used on the 70-72 trucks...

mike

Sean's build up is a second test shot - not the finished product. We are currently waiting for a third test shot-

As far as I can tell revisions have not been finished on tooling for that test shot, since I was sent electronic files of parts to be revised 2 days ago and asked to approve them.

Dave

Man oh man just look at the sag in those rear leaves! Good gravy, is that a Camper Special? No wonder they came out with the Super Camper Special in the next body style! :blink:

Sean's build up is a second test shot - not the finished product. We are currently waiting for a third test shot-

As far as I can tell revisions have not been finished on tooling for that test shot, since I was sent electronic files of parts to be revised 2 days ago and asked to approve them.

Dave

Thanks for the update, Mr M!

Dave

Great news! Thanks for the info Dave.