Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which is THE Quintessential "Hot Rod" Song?

Quintessential Hot Rod Song  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which song is the one song that most represents Hot Rodding ?

• Hot Rod Race by: Arkie Shibley
    • Hot Rod Lincoln written by : Charlie Ryan
    • Little Deuce Coupe by: The Beachboys

what? no "Tell Laura I Love Her".

whippersnappers .......

as they pulled his body from the burning wreck

with his dying breath they heard him say...

Tell Laura I love her :wacko:

It's not very cheerful, but it is a true great to my distorted mind.

I'd go for 'Maybelline', and of the 3 on offer, well I'm with John Milner!

Yeah, how great my touchy-feely old Prius is at letting me stay connected with all my unemployable little friends who can't make change from a dollar, and who don't have a clue how to fix it when "it won't go, mommy"... :rolleyes:

Strangely, I never thought of you as a Prius man, Bill!

HEMI PRIUS - is that a Hemibrid? :unsure:

But I'm not fooled - anyone can stick a Prius badge on the back of their 'Cuda!

Back to the topic - c'mon everybody make your mark for the Duece!

Edited by DonW

as they pulled his body from the burning wreck

with his dying breath they heard him say...

Tell Laura I love her :wacko:

It's not very cheerful, but it is a true great to my distorted mind.

I'd go for 'Maybelline', and of the 3 on offer, well I'm with John Milner!

If we're getting into burning wrecks, I'm nominating Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell."

Come to think of it, "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" might be a hot rod song. Hey, he never says it's not a hot rod, does he?

Hot Rod Lincoln was written about a specific car as described in the song.

In the case of Little Deuce Coupe it was written and then a car was found that suited the song for a album cover. In the song the Deuce Coupe there was little to actually describe the car, being only that it was a Deuce Coupe with a flathead mill (actually it was a OHV V8) and a 4 speed stick (actually it was an automatic)

Love both cars and both songs but I am still going with HRL

They are both on my list of future projects along with the original version of Tweedy Pie with the Flatty

Edited by Jon Haigwood

The Beach Boys' Little Deuce Coupe was based on a real car too. IIRC, Brian Wilson wrote the lyrics after seeing the car on the cover of a magazine.

The car on the cover of the Beach Boys album is the actual car, which was hunted down for a photo shoot after the song was written.

That Little Deuce Coupe is still in existence, and I believe it is owned by the son of the guy who built it. The son loans it out for museums.

Actually, not. Brian Wilson wrote the song with Roger Christian in 1963, inspired by a car Christian knew of from street cruising. "Little Deuce Coupe" was the "B" side of a single with "Surfer Girl" as the "A" side. "Little Deuce Coupe" was not expected to be a big hit, but when it went big, Capitol Records decided to do a 'car songs' album with "Little Deuce Coupe" as the title track.

When Capitol Records was readying the "Little Deuce Coupe" album, they needed a dramatic cover photo, but nothing submitted to them by their cover artists excited them. One of the Capitol muckity-mucks saw the photo shoot from Hot Rod Magazine of Chili Catalano's coupe and obtained permission to crop & use one of the shots for the album cover.

Edited by Danno

I love all three but I have to go with Hot Rod Lincoln it was based on a real car (currently in a museum in Washington State). I am not sure which one had the most covers but would put my money Hot Rod Lincoln by Charlie Ryan

The real Hot Rod Lincoln . Originally it was black but Charlie updated it a few years before he passed.