Model Cars Magazine Forum

Too much choice: I need a hand!

Hey all!

Going through my stash of loveable losers, obscure autos and just plain everyday cars, I noticed that I had a number of choices that all attracted my attention equally. So, rather than stew on it for a while, I decided to see if you guys could give me a hand!

Check out my new poll on The Sprue Lagoon, and help me choose my next car to build. Thanks in advance for the assistance, too!

I went with the Citation Adam. You do a great honor by building these, and I'm sure that there is some model company exec that cruises this forum and always smiles when he sees that his decision to go with "that one" or "this one" was a winner!

Thanks, Mark! I appreciate the vote of confidence! I'm sure execs would rather I build the newest kits, but it's always fun to revisit the past for me!

I agree, I've never seen the GTO either. It's the best kit of the three, I think, in all honesty. However, it's also the least loserish!

I didn't vote in the poll, since I couldn't pick one in the first place! Sadly, the GTO is behind by a lot. The Citation is running away with it for now. Maybe, Glenn, you need to start a campaign? :)

Thanks, Mark! I appreciate the vote of confidence! I'm sure execs would rather I build the newest kits, but it's always fun to revisit the past for me!

I agree, I've never seen the GTO either. It's the best kit of the three, I think, in all honesty. However, it's also the least loserish!

I didn't vote in the poll, since I couldn't pick one in the first place! Sadly, the GTO is behind by a lot. The Citation is running away with it for now. Maybe, Glenn, you need to start a campaign? :)

The GTO was one of the last Polar Lights kits to be released--developed by Dave Metzner, who now does product development for Moebius. I was at Playing Mantis when this one was done--fun to have sat in on it (Oh, and I developed the same car in 1/64 scale as a Johnny Lightning diecast)

Art

Scott:

I ask, because sometimes it's more fun that way! I love the way car builders are such a tightly-knit and interested community, and it's fun for me too to see how some of my 'oddball' choices do in terms of a popularity contest! Besides, it's just something light and fun and silly to do, and I felt like it! I sometimes ask my brother, or mom or dad to go to the stack and pick what they'd want to see built next for the same reason; the randomness can make it more exciting!

Citation's definitely taken a lead. I know that the other two aren't real Notchbacks, but they're as close as my collection allows. :)

That's awesome, Art, that you were in on the GTO! I had a chance to get the kit that comes with the 1/64, but someone got it before me. :angry: I do have the JL of the GTO though; I went out and got one separately! It looks so much nicer and more professional than the Citation does; wrapping the windows separately really helps a car kit; I wish more people would do it!

Why are asking others to decide for you? Build the one you want. Better yet, build all three. But I don't think you need us to decide for you.

Scott

He chose to let others choose - why does that bother you?

I say the Beretta - those were "kinda" cool but horrible cars IIRC...

Edited by Erik Smith

I voted for the Citation. Back in 1982 our friends bought one new. Man was that car trouble. I'd love to see you convert it to a 4 door hatchback!

The GTO is too cool a car for your project! :rolleyes:

I await the progress thread! This is fun stuff. Note that I'm currently working on a Trabant.

I agree, the GTO is much cooler than the rest, that's for sure! Goodness don't the Aussies know how to build a car, though? Their Monaros, Falcons and Commodores are so much nicer than what we get here!

Sweet on the Trabant, Tom! You have great taste! I was going to get that kit, but I saved shelf space and actually managed to get a Honday an MPC D50 and a '79 Capri, so I did okay. How is the Trabi as a kit? I'm really looking forward to the new Rabbit/Golf 1 coming out soon.

I vote for the Citation, but with a twist, a notchvember-busting conversion to a hatchback. X-11, White with red graphics just like the neighbor's car back in '81, and just like one of my favorite Hotwheels in the collection.

P6190058.jpg

So cool. One of the 1:1 projects in the back of my mind (that I will likely never have the chance to do) is that exact car with a Caddy Northstar engine swapped in, otherwise stock appearing.

-MJS

Hey Mike!

I love that Hot Wheels too! My brother is the keeper of Hot Wheels (that aren't Go Kart or otherwise short and dumpy) in my family, and he has a couple of those. He also has perfect in-pack J-2000, but that's another awesome story altogether!

I don't think I have what it takes to convert it to a Hatchback, at least not yet. I think I'll have to back down from that challenge, at least this time! I remember a lot of hatchbacks, though very few notchbacks. That's why I like this model: the notchback is something even more bizarre to kit than a hatchback Citation!

Edited by Faust

How is the Trabbie as a kit?

A very enjoyable build. The parts pretty much fall together. Where some of the instructions on the engine and suspension appeared a bit vague and parts didn't look as if they would fit, they just snapped in place. Sometimes without glue at all. There are some pretty tiny parts, so bring your magnifiers! That includes some microscopic decals like Trabant emblems for the wheel center caps that love to disappear as you try to place them!

I was speaking with Ron Bradley, a Maryland model dealer who sells at the regional shows and he had one Trabant sedan and one wagon kit. He said those were his last of several cases of each. I guess these are selling very well here!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Scott, I was going to make the same joke!

The good thing about the Revell plastic is that it's actual plastic, not the weird paper/plastic/formaldehyde/nuclear-waste hybrid of real Trabbies!

In a way it kind of explains the Citation kit... Trabbies are so bad they're interesting; maybe the Citation is the same way?!

Tom, you say the Trabant kit pretty much falls together? It's not a very good representation of the real car then. The real Trabants pretty much fall apart. :)

rum

Scott

It's been said that new Trabants would refuse to start to be driven off the assembly line. They'd have to be pushed out! And people were on waiting lists for years to get these nasty little buggers! And people are collecting them today. I joined the Trabant forum to get information for my builds, so I started a build thread there. The group responded enthusiastically and invited me to attend their meet, which I think was yesterday in Washington DC. One guy even promised me a ride if I came. I went to the Liars Show instead. Oh well.