Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your favourite Box art

Don't know if anyone has had this discussion so here goes.

Like a book with an exciting cover, box art pursuaded me which model I would buy next

Who in your opinion is the greatest/favoutire box artist and what model.

Models can vary IE Aurora's Horror stars(Dracula, Mummy Black lagoon etc, Monograms early Hot Rod series(Yellow Jacket, Blue Beetle etc) AMT Annuals, Revells Funny Car series, Tom Daniel, you know the score here guys and gals.

And do you have a favourite artist? I dont know many so I may learn something here.

Here is my fave list of boxes.

If you know an artist missing let me know who he/she is please.

Thanks, John.

My All time fave box art of ANY kit .......AIRFIX B17G Flying Fortress. Fantastic artwork by Roy Cross. On a bomb run, engine on fire, guns blazing this has the lot to tempt anyone into modeling.

2nd fave and favourite car box Hot Rod Kit.....Li'l Coffin(1970s version). The model with the scary scene of dead trees and houses and the so CooooooL skeleton leaning on the car. Artist unknown

3rd fave is the 1957 Revell Cadillac Eldorado Brougham. Artist Jack Lynnwood?

If I had to pick a moden box artist I will go with the Japanese guy that signs himself Okamoto

I liked the illustrations on the Renwal 66 Revival kits. Also the first issue of Tognotti's T and Wilhelm's Wonder double kit, and the Gold Cup Johan classics kits. That painting of the maroon Mercedes Benz in the German countryside was inspiring.

I always liked the box art for Monogram's 1/72 aircraft back in the 60s; the P-36 and F8F Bearcat were masterpieces of understatement and very effective.

As far as cars go? Jo-Han's classic cars had some very beautiful art; the 35 Mercedes and the 31 Cadillacs were gorgeous.

Modern kits; my favorite recent work (auto) would be Jairus Watson's box art for the Galaxie '46-'48 Chevy Aerosedans. The box art for Tamiya's 1/48 WWII aircraft are also quite beautiful--I've cut them out and display them on my hobby room wall!

I liked the illustrations on the Renwal 66 Revival kits. Also the first issue of Tognotti's T and Wilhelm's Wonder double kit, and the Gold Cup Johan classics kits. That painting of the maroon Mercedes Benz in the German countryside was inspiring.

The Monogram Mecedes 540K is also in a great series. Great box art on all the Mono classic.

That Mercedes is pure Cruella DeVille

J

There's so many.... My favorite(s) would have to be the AMT "Trophy" kits from 67-68. The 64 Galaxie Daytona special stands out. :lol:

Favorite box art/worst kit would have to be Revell's original issue 57 Nomad. :P This car was featured on the cover of the May(?) 67 Rod & Custom. I can't recall the name of the the owner but Dennis Ricklifs striped the beautiful flames.

The car had Skylark wires on it. If you have a original box look closely at the wheels. The car is in color on the box, but has b/w chrome reverse superimposed on the car. The art work had already been approved by Revell, but the wheel difference wasn't noticed untill it was too late. Some body at (Jim Keeler?) Revell went out to the parking lot and found a car with chrome reverse wheels on them, took a picture, and they were "mounted" on the box art car. :blink::angry:

There's so many.... My favorite(s) would have to be the AMT "Trophy" kits from 67-68. The 64 Galaxie Daytona special stands out. :angry:

Favorite box art/worst kit would have to be Revell's original issue 57 Nomad. :P This car was featured on the cover of the May(?) 67 Rod & Custom. I can't recall the name of the the owner but Dennis Ricklifs striped the beautiful flames.

The car had Skylark wires on it. If you have a original box look closely at the wheels. The car is in color on the box, but has b/w chrome reverse superimposed on the car. The art work had already been approved by Revell, but the wheel difference wasn't noticed untill it was too late. Some body at (Jim Keeler?) Revell went out to the parking lot and found a car with chrome reverse wheels on them, took a picture, and they were "mounted" on the box art car. :blink::blink:

How the heck did you know that story?

Bob Paeth told me that story years ago.. but didn't say who took the picture. But the basis is correct! :lol:

Bob Paeth told me that story years ago.. but didn't say who took the picture. But the basis is correct! :P

It was at one of the late night pool side bull sessions at GSL '97. Jim Keeler related the story. I can't recall if Jim said/knew who took the picture. There was a lot of modeling lore spread around that night.

I wish i'd had a tape recorder! :lol:

I think this box is one of the best ever. I think Tamiya's boxes are the slickest and most graphic. I realise not everybody likes their subject matter but you have to admit it's class stuff.

ab4c_1.JPG

I like how they did that on their GTP cars too.

boxart1.jpg

Mazda 787B

Sauber Mercedes C9

Nissan R89C

Porsche 956

Edited by CAL

Guest zebm1

This is one of my all time favorites......I have been looking for a box lid in good condition to frame under glass,,,,,,

AuroraPorsceCarrera.jpg

an' thisun is kinda kool...... I think it's supposed to be Sebring, Flawduh

COXCheetah.jpg

an' for a Ferrari.......

FUJIMIFerrari330P4.jpg

and early Hawk model art was pretty kool.....

HAWKChaparrelII.jpg

Bob Paeth told me that story years ago.. but didn't say who took the picture. But the basis is correct! :P

The '57 Nomad is also my favorite. If I remember the story correctly, they photographed the rims on Bob Paeth's Rambler in the parking lot. I talked to Bob on Monday about the Revellion prints, I should have thought to ask the question.

Other favs are the original '53 Chevy Sedan Delivery, Miss Deal Stude, and the Triumph Drag Bike. I think the last two at least had connections to Mr. Paeth, if he didn’t do them outright. I love this topic.

:blink: I'm gonna hafta agree with Vanagon, that Revell 57 Chevy Nomad was probly one of the most prettiest box tops I had ever seen. Made me buy the model! I bought it knowing I couldn't build that bad boy, cause I couldn't build the ###### racer sedan with the yellow 57 on it! But MAN was that one pretty car! The 69/70 Mustang Coupes by Revell looked pretty good too.

I think this box is one of the best ever. I think Tamiya's boxes are the slickest and most graphic. I realise not everybody likes their subject matter but you have to admit it's class stuff.

ab4c_1.JPG

I used that photo as one of my references to add extra detail to the build!! It's a great piece of work!!