Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale auto renaissance?

The one thing about the Studebaker is that many different entities own different parts of the Studebaker trademark. There's Studebaker Motor Company, who promised years ago to build a new Studebaker car but so far hasn't found the financing. There's a T-shirt company that has the trademark for that purpose. There's another company that owns the "Lazy S" logo and others who have the red ball logo for different purposes.

The next question is, how many of these people who claim to be trademark owners are just licensees? And if they're licensees, who gave them the licensing rights?

The fact is, no one knows who owns the basic trademark rights, and one search of the USPTO files lists the trademark as dead, because nobody renewed it. It's very complicated. The only way to get at this is to do a trademark search with the USPTO, strike a deal with someone based on whatever ownership rights they have, and move ahead. This sounds like expensive lawyer stuff.

Edited by sjordan2

Errr....

This links to a 1980s ghetto blaster:

077.jpg

Not entirely inappropriate for a disco-age El Camino, but stil...

Edited by Junkman

My thoughts in red

I cannot tell you guys how much I enjoy this debate. And how much can be gained from it.

Hence I sat down in earnest and tried to make up a sensible list of subjects which I think would appeal to a lot of people. I started with the 30s and went through each decade. I tried to incorporate what people wrote in this thread, what my gut feelings are, and spiced it with a tad of my personal taste.

Let's see whether I would make a good kit industry manager or not.

1930s:

Chrysler Airflow

1937 Studebaker Coupe Express, followed by coupe and sedan.

1936 GM 'turret tops'

Any late 30s Packard

Add a mid-late 1930s Hudson 8 of some kind. The convertibles especially are beautiful cars.

1940s:

Tucker Torpedo

1941 Chrysler Town & Country

1942-48 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon

1946 De Soto taxi Change to a '42 for those way-cool hidden headlights. Or add a '42 coupe/convertible/standard sedan.

1941 Chevrolet

Willys Jeepster, followed by a Station Wagon.

early 1950s:

Bullet Nose Studebaker

1951 Buick LeSabre show car

1950-53 Buick (for it's stunningly good looks and it gave us the side trim for our chopped 49-51 Mercurys)

1950 Rambler wagon.

1951 Chrysler Imperial Newport (hardtop.)

late 1950s:

Any 'forward look' Mopar except the 58 'dere and 300C. Preferrably a 1957 DeSoto.

New tool Chevy Nomad.

1957 Pontiac Bonneville.

1956-'57 Studebaker Hawk

1960s:

1969 Camaro in some obscure COPO version, most importantly with steelies and dog dishes (just kidding).

Checker Cab.

VW 1500 Squareback/Notchback/Fastback.

VW T2 Baywindow.

VW Karmann Typ 34.

VW Kurierwagen Typ 181 (Thing, Tracker, whatever).

1969 Mercury X100.

Jeep Wagoneer.

1965-up Ramber/AMC Ambassador

1970s:

1970 Chrysler 300 with separate bonnet and bootlid to allow for the Hurst version.

1971 Boattail Riv.

1974 Dodge Monaco (AND a '73! I insist!).

Jeep Cherokee Chief.

Plodgler Granfifthlomat. (Cop cars actually 1980-89, but the 1977-'79 LeBaron, Diplomat and Canadian Plymouth Caravelles are nice-looking cars I wouldn't mind a model of at all.)

1977-> Caprice.

Ford full-sized Station Wagon (you gotta tow your gassers with something, right? Apart from that, DD anyone?). Me too, please.

Rover P6 V8 (just kidding).

1980s:

GM G-Body, preferrably an Olds, preferrably the last Hurst.

Bustleback Seville.

Chrysler LeBaron.

K-Car

1990s:

1992-1997 Pontiac Bonneville SSE

1991-'96 Buick Park Avenue, with parts to build a standard Park Ave. or Ultra.

1990-'97 Lincoln Town Car

1993-'96 Cadillac Fleetwood

2000s:

Cadillac Sixteen concept car

Chrysler Crossfire

Cadillac XLR

Chevrolet Malibu

Pontiac Solstice

There were a lot of other great ideas I saw, too. Broadly, I'd love more station wagons and a little more stuff that may not be "mainstream" but isn't just outright outlandish (I'd love outlandish, too.)

On that subject, mainstream every day cars are desparately needed.

Great ideas, Christian. And thank you for undertaking this.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Well if you're going to compile a wish list of sorts, Ild like to see

30's 34 chev coupe or(prefer sedan)

36 Dodge coupe

50's 51- 53 Buick

52 - 56 Caddys prefer 53 and 55's

55- 58 Buicks

57 Oldsmobile

58 chevy fleetside (the only pickup I really like )

60's 68/69 Notchback I know KDOG does one but it aint exactly cheap especially as I want to do 3 or 4

70's 73/74 Cuda

Wagons any from the 60 chev to the mid 70/s from any of the big 3

Modern updated funny car kits any body style

Oh, and then someone should probably start compiling a truck list. The concept of being enthusiastic about a light truck is completely lost on a European, so - with regret - I can't do it.

I'll start the pickup/SUV/Jeep/light commercial list! Anyone wishing to add to it, just quote this post and continue!

1930s...

Chevy pickup/Suburban

Dodge pickup/humpback panel

International pickup

1940s...

Dodge Power Wagon

1950s...

Chevy/GMC panel truck...50-54

Dodge pickup

Jeep Forward Control

1960s...

Chevy/GMC 67-68 pickup

Dodge pickup

Ford pickup

International of any type

1970s...

FSJ...pickup, Cherokee Chief, Grand Wagoneer

1980s...

Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler

Jeep Cherokee (XJ) and/or (MJ) pickup (Comanche)

1990s...

Jeep Wrangler (TJ)

2000s...

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)

2007 & up...

Jeep Wrangler (JK) 2-door and/or 4-door Unlimited

Chevy/GMC pickup

Ford pickup

Dodge pickup

Edited by jeffs396

I wanna '73 Dodge Polara 4 door sedan! C'mon! Gimme!!!

No! I want a '69-71 Monaco. Much better looking than the '73. And I also want a '74 Monaco. :)

(maybe the resin community will do some of these eventually...I've heard there was a '74 Monaco resin but that it's very rough). At least there are diecast '74s in at least 4 different scales (but none yet in 1:24/1:25th that I know of).

Edited by Rob Hall

Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler

What I like about Jeff's list is there's something he wants in kit form, yet has already created himself for someone to cast in resin.

I think a lot of these "I want" subjects would be far better off as resin bodies or resin trans-kits, but one of you needs to step up and modify an existing kit or create it from scratch if you want a particular subject badly enough. Odds are good few if any of our "wants" are going to be released as injection molded stryene kits. That doesn't mean we can't hope, dream, and make it known that we want these subjects as kits, but let's not forget there are other ways to get what we want, but they require more work than just plunking down $30 for a kit. Your skills will be tested, and likely improved, you'll be helping your fellow modelers (provided it's not such an obscure subject that nobody else would even consider buying), and you'll be helping the modeling aftermarket, which helps us all.

O.K. So here you go. Everyone seems to want certain cars put out in plastic by the model companies. Here is mine. The A bodied cars produced by G.M. in the mid 1930's. The Cadillac 1936 coupe: http://images108.fot...ANSCOUP5-vi.jpg

the 1936 LaSalle coupe: http://images44.fotk...cLasalle-vi.jpg

the 1936 Buick coupe: http://images15.fotk...RACOUPE6-vi.jpg

the 1936 Olds coupe: http://images51.fotk...tscoupe8-vi.jpg

the 1936 Pontiac coupe: http://images57.fotk...eClassic-vi.jpg

the 1936 Chevy Master Deluxe coupe: http://images54.fotk...Coupef3q-vi.jpg

Making the convertible coupe is just a matter of removing the top. Multiple opportunities for variations and can appeal to the stock, drag, custom and rat rod builder.

And Christian, many of these are available in die cast by various companies including Brookline. I just don't feel like spending a $100.00 dollars plus for a 1/43 die cast that isn't that accurate.

Now that I'm at a computer where the links work....

I would take one each of all of those, especially the LaSalle- perhaps one of the prettiest cars of the 1930s, and the most under-represented in model form.

I, for one, would love to see more 1930s cars besides Fords and capital-C Classics- don't get me wrong, I like them, but variety, folks, variety.

Look at the real world, variety is creeping in there, too. I'd love to see the model companies follow suit.

Charlie Larkin

My list of modern light truck kits is actually pretty short if you can believe that-

'08-up Ford F-350 4wd crew cab short bed (though I'd not gripe too much if it were a longbed dually)

'06-up Dodge/Ram 2500 Power Wagon regular cab longbed

'08-up Ford E-series (a van is still a light truck, right?)

'97-'06 Jeep Wrangler (Bonus points if its an Unlimited Rubicon)

'02-'06 Chevy Avalanche (2500 version would be sweet)

'00-'05 Ford Excursion

Updated or new-tool versions of older trucks, some would be more detailed variants of existing trucks-

'67-72 Chevy/GMC pickup (I'd prefer a '67 short wideside myself)

'67-'72 Ford F-100 (again, short wideside would be the one I'd want)

'73-'79 Ford F-Series- anything better than the old AMT warhorse, and please loose that oddball Camper Special wheelbase and bed

ANY '61-'71 Dodge truck

ANY IH pickup

And in case I didn't mention it before- '37 Studebaker Coupe Express. :D

Boy...lose my power for a couple of days and look what I come back to...

I like Chuck's list for the older trucks. I actually wouldn't mind one of the newer Wranglers, either. Just for something a little different. Or a current Econoline/Club Wagon.

Did the poll get set up? I can't locate it.

Charlie Larkin