Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1957 Ford "Fireball" Roberts

..back when stock-cars really were actually based on STOCK cars.

My favorite part of the "golden olden days" is that they often literally drove licensed and registered, street-legal cars to the track ... taped over the headlamps ... and went racing!

That's what I miss.

Hi Jesse...

There is advertising here on this board which does promote other sellers....

Hobbylink Japan, Ehobbies, etc....

Hence, the disappearance of your posting over there....

He's just trying to avoid competition with his own sales...

Makes sense, don't you think?...

Bill....

Not in the slightest, bit then it's hard to compete with sales from 1983 anyways.

Would it be fun to watch lap records at Daytona at 85 mph?

Seriously, I have a late 1959 or1960 Hot Rod mag with a mildly warmed over (razor-edge tune, stiffer springs, shocks, tall rear gear and a little bigger brakes) factory prepped 1960 Ford Galaxie 2dr turning 150mph laps at either Darlington or Daytona. I'd think with today's vastly improved stock suspensions and much higher specific-output engines, a similarly prepped "stock" car could be pretty quick on an oval. Isn't one of the production Mustangs supposed to be good for 200mph these days ??

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 3 weeks later...

Great kit and subject. The reason there are a few inaccuracies with the kit is that the 1:1 car used as reference was a replica of Fireball's '57 Ford and not an actual race car of the day. The most glaring items are the stock, street exhaust system and the single hoop roll bar. As noted, the exhaust should exit through the center of the taillight covers and have no mufflers. The roll bar should have a front hoop and a single bar in the center to connect the front and back hoops.

There are probably other items that are not true to the real raced car. I doubt that the firewall that replaced the back seat was a plain, flat piece, there was probably some structural beading and the seat bolster would likely have been less "finished" looking.

Overall though, the kit is great. Includes some parts like the supercharger and double shocks on all wheels. I would like to see this start a trend where AMT and Revell would recycle some other kits into NASCAR racers instead of the usual drag/street racer fictional things. That's already been done, let's have something else for a change.

The 65 Galaxie with Fred Lorenzen decals will not be nearly as accurate of a race car as the 57 Ford. If they use the original 65 chassis the exhausts and mufflers are molded in and there was no other chassis parts for a race car. There will be a roll cage of sorts and a 427 engine. Good starting points.

Edited by Bill J