Model Cars Magazine Forum

What kind of music.....

What genre of music do you listen to when at the bench ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1.

• Easy Listening
    • Rock & Roll
    • Smooth Jazz
    • Talk Radio
    • Country
    • R & B
    • Neighbors dog barking
    • Significant other telling you to put that thing down and do some work around here
    • Other

What's vinyl? :D Long before my time, I'm afraid...I have about 20 years worth of CDs, but I've ripped most of them onto my computer and iPod, and my modeling room is my home office, so the rare times that I do model, I listen to music off the computer (I have a nice pair of speakers and a subwoofer for it).

Mostly '80s-present rock/alternative rock, some classic rock, some jazz and blues, a little hip-hop..

What's vinyl? :D Hmmmm, I still have Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Album......tha White Album and several 45s, Daytripper, She Loves You....etc. etc. ...........and lest I fergit....Emerson, Lake and Palmer :twisted:

• 1 year later...

To me cars and music goes hand in hand, so when it comes to models i usually have something playing and it help me focus and get more into a project, for instance if im building a muscle car ill usually be listening to classic rock cause to me it defines that era, plus ive heard stories of my dad cruisin around town in either one of his 67/68 camaros or a v8 vega with AC/DC cranked up so thats an influence as well. haha so do you any of you use music as inspiration in anyway or am i just weird and alone on this subject.

I actually try to turn the tv off and the radio on when i build. I've found that its easier to concentrate on the model whens the tv's off.

I've been listening alot lately to yahoo streaming radio, i can customize the playlist to play only stuff i like, which varies from Tool, to Metallica, to Pantera, to Steve miller and the Who, to Brad Paisley, Garth Brooks and Johnny Cash.

Guest roadkill2525

AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, KISS, The Doors, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osborne, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Magedeath, Motorhead, Metallica, Motley Crue, Pink Floyd, Queen, The Ramones, Rainbow, Rare Earth, Steppenwolf, Ted Nugent, Twisted Sister, The Who, Guns & Roses, Jethro Tull, Iron Butterfly, Grand Funk Railroad, Foghat, Blue Oyster Cult, Dio, Deep Purple, CCR, The Clash, Boston, Billy Idol, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Anthrax, ELO, Jefferson Airplane, Cream, America, Bad Company, The Kinks, Thin Lizzy, Dick Dale, and others.

I do have a 5-disc CD player, but eventually even that has to be reloaded after a few hours, so if I'm in the modeling groove, I opt for silence. FM radio is horrible, TV (except for the Daytona 500 coming up, yeah!) is too distracting. I build in my finished basement, so I get by with listening to house sounds like the oil burner, water running somewhere, a floor creaking above.

Bob

silence is good half the time. The other half I listen to well we have a large library.

Tori Amos

Sarah McLachlan

Poe

Jewel

Concrete Blonde

Patricia Kass

Vanessa Carlton

Pink

Jem

Cranberries

Cowboy Junkies

Natalie Merchant

The Go-Gos

Lorrena McKennitt

Ani DiFranco

Melissa Etheridge

Fiona Apple

Christina Aqulara

Kate Bush

Liz Phair

Siouzsie Sioux

Alanis Morissette

Kelly Clarkson

Heather Nova

Katie Melua

Tracy Bonham

Nina Gorden

Vonda Shepard

Evenscence

Dido

Natalie Imbruglia

Norah Jones

Santana

Rob Zombie

Metalica

Suzanne Vega

Michelle Branch

Meredith Brooks

Sheryl Crow

Belly

Hole

Dire Straits

Sixpence None the Richer

NickleBack

Dana Glover

And hundreds more

I do have LIVE music once in a while. My son has his guitars and drums in the "living room" part of the basement. He'll come down to play and practice almost every time I'm there and he's very good. He plays mostly heavy metal like Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, Megadeth, older AC/DC.

If he wants to crank up the Marshall amp or get into the drum kit, I have concert quality ear plugs that filter out the bad noise.

Bob

When I build American cars: George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers, Eric Sardinas, Ry Cooder, Johnny Winter, Hounddog Taylor, Ashton Gardner and Dyke, or some nice country like Chet Atkins, Alan Jackson or bluegrass like The Dillards.

When I build classics: Max Raabe und das Palast Orchester, Marlene Dietrich, all kinds of hits and dance floor music from the 20s and 30s.

When I build European cars: Schubert or Haydn or Bach. I don't like Mozart and Beethoven though.

When I build English cars: Dr. Feelgood (from when Lee Brilliaux was still among us), Monthy Python, Sex Pistols - you get the picture.

When I build motorcycles: AC/DC (especially from when Bon Scott was still alive), Mötörhead, etc.

When I build hot rods: 50s and 60s rock'n'roll, or gothabilly like the Coffin Shakers, etc.

When I build TV/movie cars: TV and film tunes, mainly by Lalo Shifrin.

When I build sci-fi stuff (like the Aoshima Cyber Formulas, etc.): Techno. I'm particularily fond of travel hop and house.

Gosh does this list make me appear old, dunnit?

Amazing, you guys can list all of those bands and artists. I am willing to bet that no one else listens to what I normally listen to while modeling. I, if it is music, usually listen to Acoustic Alchemy (CD playing right now as a matter of fact) or Pat Metheny, or sometimes 60’s rock (it is my age, I grew up with that stuff). If TV, I am a British Comedy junky. I play DVD’s of Fawlty Towers (from the 1970’s), League of Gentleman (amazingly witty stuff), Little Britain (Funny, Funny two man team), The office (Original British version only, U.S. copy is ######), Extras (the two guys that wrote and starred in the Office) and of course Absolutely Fabulous. In all cases I have the complete series and I can “lip sync†along with the lines of everything so I do not have to watch. I realize that this selection is weird, but it floats my strange little boat.

I rarely ever listen to music while I build I usually have the TV on. If I do then I usually have either my iPod going or its through iTunes on my computer. and its a mix of alot of stuff. mostly modern country (Tim MaGraw, alot of Rascal Flatts (favorite Band). some 90's alternative rock. (Third Eyed Blind, 3 Doors Down, Matchbox Tewnty) a little bit of modern rock, some Metalica, some rap/rock (Limp Bizkit. Kidd Rock, Linken Park), little Johnny Cash, and a very little bit of early 2000's rap (eminem, Dr Dre, Nelly), none of this newer rap ###### that out there. no 80's 'hair' bands, I hate that stuff, right now i'm listening to Billy Joel, for some unknown reason I'm really into his music right now.

AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, KISS, The Doors, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osborne, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Magedeath, Motorhead, Metallica, Motley Crue, Pink Floyd, Queen, The Ramones, Rainbow, Rare Earth, Steppenwolf, Ted Nugent, Twisted Sister, The Who, Guns & Roses, Jethro Tull, Iron Butterfly, Grand Funk Railroad, Foghat, Blue Oyster Cult, Dio, Deep Purple, CCR, The Clash, Boston, Billy Idol, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Anthrax, ELO, Jefferson Airplane, Cream, America, Bad Company, The Kinks, Thin Lizzy, Dick Dale, and others.

I basically listen to anything you do! B)

I love me rock, (Airbourne, AC/DC, Boston, Guns N Roses, The Clash, Cash, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Alabama, Queen, Led Zepp, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Mountain, SCOTS, Alice in Chains, STP, Tool, etc) Weird Al! ;)

bluegrass, (Osbourne Brothers, Scruggs, Flatts, Statler Brothers, Dan Tyminski etc) and oldies and some of the REAL rap, (Dr Dre, Tupac, Eminem, Quad City DJ's)

Edited by Nick F40

I am a musician and composer by trade and I agree; cars and music go hand in hand!

I've toyed with the idea of creating a kind of auto-juke box in which cars each have their own theme music (preferably from the year they were produced); so, say a '55 Chevy Bel Air would light up and you'd hear "Sh'boom," or "String of Pearls" for the '49 Merc or "Gimme Shelter" for a '69 Charger etc etc etc.

I like listening to music when I build; classic rock seems to fit well with cars, while 20th-century classical music works well with aircraft and armor. . .

Hey, Mark,, didn't know you listened to country ??? I'm putting a link to a friend of mine's band below,, I'd like you to check it out. [youtube page actually] They'r the Devorcees ,, I've known the singer, Alex Madsen, for years. They took country album of the year at the East Coast Music Awards last week ,, We're quite proud of them.

If you like Waylen, Willie and Hank Jr. you might dig this.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...mp;search_type=

Ahhh, you mean the REAL country. I love those guys. :P

I like them, they are pretty good. :lol: