Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another 1938 Ford is on the bench

Yeaaaaaaahhhhhh! :)
I was worried.
Really.
Hate to see a project go back into the box for such a little thing.

37f1-vi.jpg
Here is another view showing the mechanical brake linkage.
'38 was the last year for mechanical brakes by the way
37f6-vi.jpg

Thanks, guys, for the kind comments. They are appreciated. Thanks also to Jairus! Now you are pushing me to extreme detail! Looks quite possible. BTW here are a couple of pix of the reversed differential and the running board. I found some thin sheet stock with a raised diamond pattern. I ran a soft pencil over a portion of it so you can see what it looks like. The pattern continues over the rolled edge.

RearEndandRunningBoards002_zps4f6020ed.j

RearEndandRunningBoards001_zps16b735e4.j

RearEndandRunningBoards005_zps251aacac.j

Just a couple of new photos of the work in progress. Running boards are now set for shape and size and the rear step is done using scribed sheet stock and strip stock for the edge. The spotlights are from the Yat Ming 38 Ford but I'm not sold on them yet. Grab handles in back of the cab doors are doll house features. The rear fenders were lengthened a bit to conform to the running boards and rear step. Lots of little things like this but in the end it pays of in the look of the model.

NewBodyDetails005_zps9dd08836.jpg

NewBodyDetails003_zps4e82ed3a.jpg

NewBodyDetails004_zps4e2ef29e.jpg

Got a bit more done on the model with the basic construction to the point where it can be primed. Doing so brings out all the flaws that can't be seen in either the plastic or the resin. A bit of sanding, some fillng and repriming will get it more in shape for paint. The railings on the body are only on for location. The uprights will be cut off after the body is painted and the railings are installed. There are small "chrome" base plates that will attach to the base of the uprights.

Primer001_zps233c4704.jpg

Primer002_zps768f5c54.jpg

Outside of the doors have been primed. The trim on the right door had to be sanded off and relocated. One side did not line up with the relief on the cab side. The insides will have panels something like the paper printouts. Once the interior of the door is painted I can add the line work on a decal.

Primer003_zpsf29f8a8f.jpg

The grill will be painted red along with the cab. There will be a chrome trim ring around it to separate the color.

Primer004_zps965264dc.jpg