Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trumpeter 1965 Ranchero

I see dog-dish hubcaps ... but no steel wheels to mount them on. What's up with that?

And dual gas caps? Wow, again not the kind of error you expect to find in a $55 model kit.

It looks a bit better than the coupe to me, and, all you guys who like it, I'm happy for you. But, again, this one's a pass for me ...

That's my bad on the wheels, I thought I had uploaded them but apparently not, so I just added them. They're not the greatest but the steel wheels are in there. No Teardrop hood this issue though.

Picture021-vi.jpg

My Dad drove a 64 Falcon Ranch Wagon,2 dr, with a 289 3spd. for his work car. That little car could SCREAM!!! Dang it was fast! Imma build me a litle 2dr Ranch Wagon outta one before I ever buy a coupe! :D;)

Was it a 3spd on the column ? Apparently this kit has two shifters as well. I just noticed a column shifter on the parts tree. I guess I'm going to have to choose one or the other.

-Steve

did you look at the review pics of the parts?

I noticed that first thing, & I haven't even checked out the fotki site yet, the floor pan has the correct wheel housings at least on the floor part, that & the bench seat should be added as an option for the hardtop. Oh & the dog dish caps also. :P

• 2 weeks later...

at this point i'm actually hoping that they do a wagon.

Absolutely second that one! Wagon would be really nice to see and build. I also need to get this Ranchero, Hudsons, '48 Ford Coupe, and many many other kits, great to see so much new kits coming.

I'm thinking along the lines of the Sedan Delivery which could also produce a 2dr wagon; The Rachero kit includes the passenger car floor as an extra part. Combine that with the Ranchero bed and you'll have a good start on the Wagon & S.D. Interior. A Hardtop roof section could probably be used to extend the roof to make the Wagon & S.D. You'll still have plenty of scratch building to do the but the roof shapes look pretty simple.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

Just to throw this in to the mix because not everyone knows it, but the Ranchero, 2 door wagon and the sedan delivery were all built on the same platform, so there is an accurate 1:1 basis for these conversions. I'm not going to comment further on the relative accuracy of the kit until I've seen more (and maybe not even then, haha).

i'm curious about the chassis in the Ranchero kit and if it's got smaller rear wheelwells. if it does that's great for anyone wanting a "stock" chassis and inner bed floor and wall detail. if it doesn't then that will be great for builders like me who want to stuff bigger tires under the back, just like with the hardtop kit.

I'm with you Dave. I saw this and my first thought was "Pro Street".

Well, it's here in the MCM photo studio, the new 1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero.

Here's all the photos: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/0923

After you guys take a look at the photos, especially the front grille, please let me know what you think.

Unless this has been brought up before, then, oops, never mind....

Looks like a '65 Falcon grille to me, other than there's no decal for the center ornament what am I missing ?

The grille is too concave, which is the right shape for the '64 grille but not the '65. I might swap it for the AMT grille if it's close to fitting.

-MJS

OK, I see it now. Your right the kit part is shaped more like '64 grille. I'll add that to my list although on the model it doesn't look terrible.

Here's a sneek peak at my finished '65 Ranchero, it's the best photo I have showing the installed grille. I'll post the rest when when I'm done with the "On the Workbench" build up.

post-413-0-95118500-1316865155_thumb.jpg

Maindrian Pace and Steve, yeah, the grille doesn't look right at all.

From what I remember on my '65, it's like you could not see the upright or vertical bars on the grille until you got really close. It seemed like an almost straight across horizontal bars, with the center nose, that seems smaller also.

And yes, those two gas caps, which are wrong shape also.

To me, they weren't that ovalish, if that's a word. I remember it being round so it would be able to twist off. With an oval, it could not twist.

Heh, from Hawai'i, we make up our own words, yes?

Maybe this weekend I can start it.

I have enough ScaleFinishes.com paint to get a nice color combo to choose from.

Even got all the engine colors too!

Did Modelhaus make a '65 grille?

I'll call Bob over at Model Car Garage (again) and see what he has got for ideas on this one.

That would fix the grille "problem" for sure.