Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mpc annual Dodge chargers 1966-1974

iangilly

I love dodges chargers and mpc set the roots for them,Heres a year by year guide. In just their second year of doing promo style kits Mpc released the brand new 1966 dodge charger. This kit was essentially a 5n1 kit that could be built either stock, drag, nascar, custom, or slot car . the kit was molded in white and features two different exhaust systems,3 wheel options, and he might that could be built two different ways . this was the one and only year for the slot option. Decals features various sponsors and the number 6.

Screenshot_2014-10-22-12-33-23_1_zpsa3e7

For 1967 the charger was only a bit changed and became a 4n1 kit. It still had the same drag and nascar options,the kit now came with a clear hood, and velocity stacks. Decals changed and features more drag options and the number 5.

Screenshot_2014-10-22-12-32-43_1_zpsc42c

The same year mpc also released the custom only George barris "thunder charger" from the movie "thunder ally"

608-2001967_zps747f237d.jpg

For 68 big changes came to the charger, that meant a new tool was created for the 68 model year. The charger now had a coke bottle body style. This year kit was a 4n1 that could be built stock,custom, drag or nascar. It feature three different wheel choices, custom front and rear end, rear window luvers, clear hood,two different exhaust systems, and two different ways to build the hemis.Decals features nascar, drag and stock rear stripe and a number 6.

unnamed_zps2b5c8175.jpg

The same year a funny car only version was sold as a "color me gone" drag racer.

BU-M8Q2kKGrHgoOKjsEjlLmUU31BKQPZe8lw_12_

Also one more charger was released for 1968, the charger III concept car. This kit was only released in 68 and is a very sought after kit today

1968_zps6cda7941.jpg

For 1969 not much change kit wise,kit was still molded in white and was a 4n1. The decals for this year were based on dick landy's drag racer. Strangely the kit featured no mag wheel for the racing version. It still has the clear hood and same custom front and rear end and luvers.

Screenshot_2014-07-12-19-46-19_1_zps3566

Also for 69 the funny car kit was updated and featured decals to do Mr norm funny car.

714-2001969_zps5970374f.jpg

1970 marked the last year for the 2nd Gen charger body. Again mpc did little updating to the kit, besides grill, rear trim changes and interior changes The car was still a 4n1 kit . it featured either being molded in yellow or white (I've seen both) decals now featured rear stripe,and various sponsors decals and a "22" .

unnamed_1_zpse24e24b1.jpg

Mid 1970 mpc changed up the dies for the Daytona body (which would later go on to be the Dukes of Hazzard "general lee" and charger 500 kit) and featured Bobby Isaac decals and was molded in red.

731-2251970_zps3390a090.jpg

Edited by iangilly

For 1971 mpc again tooled up a charger for the third time. The big thing for 71 was the two prepainted bodies in either yellow with black fogging or orange with black fogging and also had different molded interior colors. 71 was 3n1 either stock, custom or "zinger". Kit had two wheel options, two engine version, two different hood scoop options and the super big 3 step wing or blower . Also has three build version for the 440 engine. This version also only has the hideaway grill and not the rt that is found in the later amt issue. IMAG0818_1_zps8e53ca32.jpg

For 72 much was unchanged kit was now molded in white, and was a 4n1 stock, custom, drag and zinger.same two wheel options as 71 (rallye or mag) same two hood scoop options. Decals were based on the the rod shop drag team. This kit also features a Christmas tree.

mpc-1972charger_zps2eb7d9df.jpg

1973 again changes were mild, new grill and tail lights, and light interior modifications. This kit was different that it was only a 2n1 stock or custom wagon. It featured a hatch add on and special front-end and towing rig. Has two wheel options and two engine build options. Decals featured woodgrain side panels, and custom call outs.

1-7307charger_zpsa3132294.jpg

For 74 the kit changed only a bit one Las time. It was back to a 3n1 stock, drag, and custom, it again had the wagon add on, different front end. Same wheels as the year before and same engine builds as the previous 3 years. Decals featured "hot shot" drag decals and sponsors and custom stripes for wagon version.

1-7407charger1_zps8510cc0c.jpg

Around 74 the tooling was modified for the petty charger and was a race only version

Also in 74 Mpc released the 67 charger as a street machine only version in "the great Street machines" series. It had most drag parts from the 67 annual kit and had new custom decals to match.

1-37021974_zps297f86e0.jpg

In 1981 the "super charger" kit was issued. The 3rd Gen body was restored to make the car a Street machine version only. It was closest to the 74 annual, with different front end. It features one set of wheels, and two way to build the engine. Decals were typical for that time period and featured bold graphics and a name call out.

63331981_zpsc66aa326.jpg

The 67 had been released a few times since the 70s and the tooling should exist still for the super charger. The 69 Daytona and general Lee kit are what's left of the 1968 original tooling. Any other input is welcome, I just glazed over the basic for the early stuff.

Edited by iangilly

I had the '66, '67, and '68 as a kid. The '67 got lost somewhere along the way. I should still have the '66 but I haven't seen it in a while and I've been looking for it. I DO still have the '68. It's pretty dirty and the paint is in bad shape. If there weren't the nice Revell kit available, I'd strip and rebuild it, but I'd rather just leave it as a relic of my childhood as-is. I should clean it up, though.

68Charger01.jpg

If your including drag cars variants. There was also a 1967 Color Me Gone Charger funnycar kit. It could only be built one way. It included an altered wheelbase charger funny car body that was molded in white. The chassis and components were molded in a light grey.

If they re-issue that 67, I hope they still have the Stock Hubcaps No One offers anymore

I have the 70's Street Machine issue I started to restore.

I am kind of tired of only the 5 spoke Mag's in almost all MoPar kits lately.

(Though, AMT did replace those with Ralley's in the 70 Challenger kit Johnny-Lightning re-issue!!)

MPC's '67 Charger annual was also issued by Airfix. I don't have an MPC annual, but I assume the parts are exactly the same. The box says the kit was "moulded" in the USA, and it includes the MPC decal sheet. Note the Brits decided to call it 1/24 scale.

MPC and Airfix marketed many of each others' kits during the late '60s and '70s. AMT had a similar arrangement with Hasegawa and Frog.

• 1 year later...