Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dirt Late Model Stock car.

I'm doing the driver's compartment now. I've got the seat. pedals, shifter. master cylinders, radiator hoses and the steering up to the firewall. It will be hard to take a picture of some of this. once more of the body work goes on.101_1789.jpg

101_1810.jpg

101_1798.jpg

Edited by Old Sprinter

Thanks guys. Jeff looks like you live in the heart of stock car country. My best friend just moved there ( Greenville) and he says they're all over the place. I decided to try my skill at some of the body ,especially the top portion. These things don't exactly have a body by Fisher, but their style is growing on me. The biggest thing I'm finding is these cars are safe as a race car can be. There's all that bumper/body stuff going on way ahead of even the radiator. The rear is well protected from the fuel cell and driver and a ton of protection on the sides..101_1818.jpg

101_1819.jpg101_1817.jpg

Edited by Old Sprinter

Dave and Joe, Thanks; Wows are good. I've still got the roof to build and tweak a few things, like the hood. I believe I at least caught the flavor of a dirt late model body. This is big. After building sprints and midgets for the last year I feel like I'm working on the Exxon Valdez.

Man Ken this is just outstanding craftsmanship! All the way from the building of the chassis and the detail bits to that somewhat futuristic front nose.

I have to ask, because of your styrene skills you are exhibiting here.... and wanting to learn all I can from everyone. Now this pic, is there any primer or that much body filler? Because I am just amazed at the compound curves on that nose coming down and then off to the left and right sides.

101_1825.jpg

Thank you Bart, I'm honored. Styrene will bend one way fairly easily and stay that way if you keep over bending it. You know like if you need 30 degrees bend you go to 90 degrees several times until it stays at 30. Then I add pieces to get the compound curves on the sides. An example would be the top of the fenders; that's a piece of 3/8" tube in half the long ways. Then other pieces of sheet are added. The only body filler I use is at the joints to smooth out the transition between two pieces. There's maybe a 1/8 of a cup of Bondo, if that, on the whole car. You can work styrene and make almost anything. I use the .040 thickness on the bodies. Here's a midget tail and hood I did that's all styrene sheet. I just kept bending it and adding pieces until it looked right.101_1403.jpg

101_1401.jpg

Edited by Old Sprinter

I've got to fix the front fenders, today. They're too high; looks like some of my wife's outfits with the push up shoulders. Also the roof is stupid. A little paint helped some but it needs tweaking.101_1834.jpg

man, that's lookin real.... don't worry about those little nits, that's why there's decals and MUD!!! add realism and cover a spot or two!! lol

Yes sir some decals and dirt would help. This one is going to my wife's work place, when I'm done, where she's the director. I'm having decals made with everyone's name that works there. An example would be there's a guy named Anthony there, so there will be a decal for Anthony's Custom Upholstery as a sponsor. So each person will have a decal that has their name with some made up logo and company There are 18 employees and it will be number 15 for the years that the company has been in existence. I drew a picture like that of a NASCAR stock car, a several years ago and they all loved that their names were on it. She just recently brought that home as some of those folks don't work there anymore. It helps keeps everyone motivated as a team, plus I get to have fun building another race car.

Ken, the body work looks stunning. B)

I haven't followed the dirts for years, so I'm kinda out of tune with what's currant etc, but this build looks the goods for me. 10/10 stars. :)

And I really like your idea for the names as sponcorship....very unique, and it will add lots of appeal. Good stuff mate. ;)