Model Cars Magazine Forum

Prius Model Kit - Preorders taken

I am 2-minded about this, the model and the actual car, since even though it is easy to make fun of, the Prius is the first serious step in progress. And there is nothing wrong with progress, even when it comes in such a boring package. But Toyota has to be given credit for the brave step they took in mass-producing a Hybrid. Look how far they are ahead on the rest, Honda aside.

I am a car-nut and always will love my internal combustion engines, but since I am also a man of technology, I look beyond the green image of the car and see how much new technology they put in such cars. Take a example of the Tesla or the Fisker.

About the model: why not, it is something else than always those re-issues. Fujimi is one of the very few manufacturers that really spend some dough on new moulds.

Sheesh. I'm halfway inclined to order an extra Prius for Billy myself, if we get to see that... :lol:

You up for that, Billy? I think a double dragster frame from the AMT kit would work. Drop the Allison in it and carve out wheel openings for the slicks. It could be sort of like the Garlits Dart except with an Allison and a Prius body on it. How about hybridding the Allsion? :o:lol::lol::P:o

You up for that, Billy? I think a double dragster frame from the AMT kit would work. Drop the Allison in it and carve out wheel openings for the slicks. It could be sort of like the Garlits Dart except with an Allison and a Prius body on it. How about hybridding the Allsion? :angry:B):huh::P:o

So can we expect a Prius Funnycar body from Ardvark? Maybe Jimmy Flintstone will do a chopped version. :P

Wouldn't the Allison engine be about as big as a Prius? Then again I'm not one to talk, I've wanted to put a 454 into a VW bus for a long time.

O K , sing it with me ................. Prius Man , .......... Prius Man ............. Prius Man , , to the old T V show Batman theme ............. Ed Shaver B)

Come on now Ed, obviously you have no ear for music. Prius man should be set to the old Spiderman theme.

Prius Man, Prius man, drives as fast as a Prius can, saves his fuel yes he does, he has e-lec-tronic hubs, look out, here comes Prius Man... :angry:

Edited by Aaronw

Here's what I'm thinking:

The Prius body, set up to tilt, on a monster truck chassis with the Allison engine low-slung underneath, or perhaps sticking out the back...Perhaps aimed up so it sticks out the back window, which would be removed...final decision would not be possible until the kits were in hand and test fitting could be done!

I'm thinking painted neon green with a motto/name on the side. A part of me wants that to be "Al Gore's Revenge" ...Might be insane, yes, but that's OK! :) I would also consider "Mean Green" or I'm open to suggestions...

Edited by Billy Kingsley

I might order one and build it as an entry in the post apocalyptic build off section. Then again, my outlook on the future is far more rosy than what I see in there. Future. Heck, everything was better in ye goode olde dayse. Even the future was better back then.

Edited by Junkman

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are overlooking the obvious. The whole point of this appliance errrr, "car" is to minimize emissions while maximizing gas mileage. I say we should take that concept even further. Maybe one of the better kitbashers on here could come up with an Earth Day Special Edition Prius. It should be a fairly easy task, requiring only the chassis from this Lindberg kit and a South Park YouTube screen print for the driver's side window :P

post-972-12717839177612_thumb.jpg

post-972-12717841085723_thumb.gif

Who wants to place bets on weather or not somebody does a smashed into a wall runaway diorama?

That would be my first idea! Propably nothing "exclusive" tho... I mean, I bet most (if not all) we see finished, will be in a diorama... and a tree or a wall will be in there somewhere. ;)

I suggest for something diff, and maybe to make a bit of irony, a tree growing up through it! Green to an extreme!

• 4 months later...

All the classics and musclecars that really need new tools, or havent yet been kitted, and they waste plastic on a Prius. What a joke.

whats wrong with it? at leeast its something new, instead of re-releasing a mustang, or charger 20 times. . and whats the most most popular machine on the road, you got it, its prius

Why bump an old thread? Just wondering

But sense it's here again, Here's my two cents.

I think it's cool they desided to do a prius in scale, for something different atleast.

BUT, I agree with everybody else about there is sooooo many other cars out there we would love to have in scale,(Like for ME, a 98+ gmc sonoma ext cab ;) ). Plus I AM NOT A TOYOTA guy, I accually personally hate almost all the jap cars, except these, I love these things lol

mini-truck-field.jpg

but anyways, to the "new" user "amani" you say it is the number one car on the road? I see a whole lot more little honda's, mazada's, econo box cars that aren't a pruis, heck I even see more classic muscle cars cruzing around then prius's.

anyways, the prius IS NOT the number one car on the road, by a LONG shot

Does any one make a toyota pruis kit yet? i was thinking ofdoing a rat rod or donk version.

But,,,,,,,WHY??????? Sometimes, JUST SOMETIMES, JUST because you CAN doesn't mean you should!!!!blink.gifunsure.gifrolleyes.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif Oh, and DEFINATELY, they ARE NOT the most popular car on the road! FAR from it!!!!

whats wrong with it? at leeast its something new, instead of re-releasing a mustang, or charger 20 times. . and whats the most most popular machine on the road, you got it, its prius

Ummm, boring, boring, boring. Ugly, ugly, ugly. There are dozens of kits that were kitted in the 60's deserving of new tooling, not to mention cars that have NEVER been kitted. A Prius is a waste of plastic.

Ummm, boring, boring, boring. Ugly, ugly, ugly. There are dozens of kits that were kitted in the 60's deserving of new tooling, not to mention cars that have NEVER been kitted. A Prius is a waste of plastic.

but, thats not Fujimi's market. there market is modern japanese cars. and some Italian Super Cars.

I will buy a Fujimi Prius kit. when they offer it with LHD. I prefer to build modern cars. and I have absolutely no interest in kits like the Double Dragster, and stuff like that.

Why bump an old thread? Just wondering

But sense it's here again, Here's my two cents.

I think it's cool they desided to do a prius in scale, for something different atleast.

BUT, I agree with everybody else about there is sooooo many other cars out there we would love to have in scale,(Like for ME, a 98+ gmc sonoma ext cab B) ). Plus I AM NOT A TOYOTA guy, I accually personally hate almost all the jap cars, except these, I love these things lol

mini-truck-field.jpg

but anyways, to the "new" user "amani" you say it is the number one car on the road? I see a whole lot more little honda's, mazada's, econo box cars that aren't a pruis, heck I even see more classic muscle cars cruzing around then prius's.

anyways, the prius IS NOT the number one car on the road, by a LONG shot

dont mean to start a verbal fight here, while stuck on traffic, i see alot more prius flying by in the carpool lane than anyother make surrounding me. sold in more than 40 countries, start making in 1997 by 2008 reached 1 million sold, by 2010 1.8 million units. think about the innovation and the impact of our driving habit from this hybrid. ok i bit my own tongue, may not be #1, but not "by long shot"

i myself a muscle car builder too, but just look at trend of our local model industry, keep on re-issuing is not only wasting plastic, but also humiliating myself if i continue buying the virtually identical product period.