Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many model A Ford kits are there ?

Hey Greg, I'm working on this one right now, Revell kit from 1973 B) !

It's been fighting me all the way :lol:

I bought this at a garage sale last year along with a few other old kits!

DSC02487_zps73f03182.jpg

Edited by Helix

what I would like to see is an analysis of those never ending just a little bit different from last time or maybe not even reissues that probably make up 90% of the majors offering. sort of a family tree of the model a from say AMT Revell Lindberg and that would probably be that. it would probably also boil down 100 "offerings" into 5 or so basic tools with little extras here and there and maybe a non-reversable tool change midstream or two.

jb

Art, here's something for ya ta work on. :P

When you guys build down there, do you swap sides on the steering wheels ? :oFord-Model-A-Tudor-RHD-black-1931-04A2A3

Sometimes Greg, could have done it with this kit, pretty easy to do ;)

I've flipped the dash on a 70 Mach 1 and the recent GMC tow truck kit ;)

Cheers

Ray

Well, Harry, it actually is.

But was it ever kitted? I don't think so, Tim. ^_^

Harry posted a build journal in Big Boyz on this 1903 Model A several months ago, but I can't find it. Spectacular work. Franklin Mint also did a centennial edition diecast commissioned by Ford (Harry's has better detail).

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=17793

Edited by sjordan2

Harry posted a build journal in Big Boyz on this 1903 Model A several months ago, but I can't find it. Spectacular work. Franklin Mint also did a centennial edition diecast commissioned by Ford (Harry's has better detail).

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=17793

Yeah, I remember that thread, but just didn't remember it being an early A Model.

It wasn't a kit, though. it's a diecast model that I took apart, detailed, and rebuilt.

model-a-5_zps97b69b01.jpg

Good point, Harry! THERE's my "out!" Greg's thread is 'How many Model A Ford kits are there?'

It wasn't 'How many Model A Ford models are there?'

Whew! ;):P

Good point, Harry! THERE's my "out!" Greg's thread is 'How many Model A Ford kits are there?'

It wasn't 'How many Model A Ford models are there?'

Whew! ;):P

The link I posted above (#62) is for a long-gone 1/16 kit from Hudson Miniatures, though it can still be found occasionally on eBay.

Picture1_zpsc8c83131.png

Edited by sjordan2

The link I posted above (#62) is for a long-gone 1/16 kit from Hudson Miniatures, though it can still be found occasionally on eBay.

The problem is that most people would hardly regard those old Hudson Miniatures as "kits" as we define them... they're more like a box of raw materials you can use to create the parts to build the model! There are very few molded plastic parts in there... wheels, steering wheel, lights... that's about it. Everything else has to be scratchbuilt with the material they supply, including the chassis, body, fenders, etc.

hudson-miniature_zps06877851.jpg

Okay, okay! Spoil sport! Ya got me. That was indeed a kit and it was indeed labeled as a 1903 Model A Ford. I'll concede the point. There WAS such a kit, even if it was BEFORE my time!

(And, I don't get to say that very often!) ^_^

on the subject of swapping steering sides in Australia, when I lived there in the late 70s/early 80s, if you had a left drive vehicle you were required to attact a BIG sign to the back notifying people of that fact. that fact alone would probably make most people do the swap, for one thing you were treated like someone with a "STUDENT DRIVER" sticker (often in a provocative menacing manner) which was only a small step above someone with a serious mental birth defect as far as respect on the road. perhaps it has changed in the ensuing years.

jb

Interesting thread.

I just completed a build of the MiniCR*AP Model A.

The nice thing about that kit are the super detail parts.

The bad stuff about the kit:

1. Is there any part in the kit that is NOT warped?

2. Locator pins would have been nice. I think that there were a total of 2 working locator pins in the whole kit.

3. I just got to thinking about this list, and if I completed a list of the problems with the kit, the owners of this forum might be upset that I used so much bandwidth.

Let's just say that you should have better modeling skills than I do if you decide to tackle this kit.

Edited by clovis