Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Thing was Andy I didn't have to be a total "P" for long. Once I asserted myself and stated my rules, all ran smoothly. I just had to do my part, which was, simply put, to do what I could to make my people ....... wait for it ................happy.

Happy troops, who know you have their back, work like heck for you. Being fair, asking for a good work ethic and insisting for a good end product is only part of being a boss. Leadership by example, being out there with them and sharing knowledge and info are the real keys. Knowledge is power, share it and we all become powerful. Hide it and we all suffer. I'll give a hint here as to where I come from regarding leadership, USMC, 0311 Infantry.

I simply cannot stand backstabbing of any kind. I never tossed a subordinate under the bus for some percieved shortcoming. I always shared info and not kept interesting tidbits to myself for my later glory.

I have a boss now who is fond of saying "If you're right I'll stand behind you." I asked him once in a briefing that "if I'm right why do I need you?" I also asked "If I'm 95% right, that's when I need your opinion, what will you do then?".

I also said why stand behind me, why don't you stand next to me and we get this done together. He had no answers and now I'm the office malcontent.

I love it.

G

Edited by Agent G

Found this out Friday, but today's the first day of this project--lost my covered parking at work because ASU is ripping up the parking lot and putting in solar cells over the parking spaces..a project for the next 5 months..by the time it gets hot here I'll have to park 1/2 a mile away out in the sun.. :(

How about a phychotic, bi-polar, spoiled, lying, poor excuse for a mother, ex daughter-in-law who uses her children as pawns to get what she wants, anyone else been there and done that one?? I won't use all the politicly correct adjectives that I really want to because I would be banned for life from this forum, but I will say this she ain't even worth wasting a good bullet on!!!! :angry::angry:

How about a phychotic, bi-polar, spoiled, lying, poor excuse for a mother, ex daughter-in-law who uses her children as pawns to get what she wants, anyone else been there and done that one?? I won't use all the politicly correct adjectives that I really want to because I would be banned for life from this forum, but I will say this she ain't even worth wasting a good bullet on!!!! :angry::angry:

Larry buddy...I see it too its one of the reasons we have my nephew and his dad living with us here. His future EX wants to be a 20 year old bar hop again and only cares about the money she can squeeze out of my nephews dad-wifes brother. She kicked him out in the dead of winter with nothing so he stays with us now or till he can get a place of his own...the nephew is here most of the time anyway he cramps his moms style I guess...shes useless.

Sound like my ex wife #2, one more year of child support then I will never have to contact her again.

G

Just came across this one. Person gets on a web site and asks were he can get a part for his airbrush. ?????WTF dude- Google it! I did and immediately had at least 20 sources pop up. At least try to help yourself before you ask someone else to help you.

I don't know if this has been brought up.

I just finished my 41 Willys STREET ROD.

I just noticed that it is a STREET rod and it has no windshield wipers!!!!

It has a license tag on the decal sheet and a PE front grill!!!

I would rather have the chrome grill and some wipers.

I have some PE wipers but they are too big and don't have the eyes or skill to modify them.

I have looked in other kits,but the Willys has such a small windshield.

Rant over!!!

Just came across this one. Person gets on a web site and asks were he can get a part for his airbrush. ?????WTF dude- Google it! I did and immediately had at least 20 sources pop up. At least try to help yourself before you ask someone else to help you.

My favorite is when a newbie comes on the board and says on his Bucket List, his life would be complete, if he could have a model of his old 1965 Fratzog Sedan. We all get excited thinking we can connect this guy with his dream car, and go to the effort of advising him that it's never been kitted, but Modelhaus has cast it for $75! Amen! Fantastic! This guy's life should be all milk and honey.... but noooo... he comes back and says he won't pay that. He wants a manufacturer to spend $200,000 to tool it up as a kit. And he'll wait until it goes to Michaels so he can use his friggin 40% off coupon! Argh! :o

While I can relate to a very low budget first hand myself...I guess the guy understands rare items are not cheap...a deal on one would be good but there will be some inherent cost to get what there looking for. One of mine is when you have something and someone wants it they think there stuff is worth its weight in gold and yours is caned dog food or something? Hey Ill deal with almost anyone on things but really? Its pretty apparent some here and else where have a better budget to work with than some...one of the reasons I do a lot of trades for my wants/needs it fits my budget or lack of. if i had the funds and found something I was wanting badly Id pay the price to get it...I have also traded a few kits,etc. for one I wanted...I think it would be great if the companies could tool up some old kits but understand they have budgets too...most are pretty reasonable for what they offer...some...?

I think you pointed out one of the great things about our hobby. There is a budget level that just about anyone could have fun in this hobby. Now, you may not be able to get all the things others have, but with a little ingenuity you can still have fun and build a decent model. Don't look at what the other guy has and say " I wish I had his budget." Look at yourself and say "I'm glad I have what I have". Frankly both of you are getting as much fun out of it.

Edited by Pete J.

That is right Pete... I have a very very small disability income myself and while it is not easy to come up with funds to buy this or that I look on building something as a challenge to see what can be done with what I have at the time...some of my favorite builds are ones made from extra parts,etc. like my 69 Pltmouth 4door wagon in my photobucket for instance. Though its not 100% correct it still looks pretty cool and it took a lot of work but was a fun build and occupied some time for me. Second I don't mind rebuilding what I can find at garage sales,etc...its a great source to find things if one is patient and willing to go and look...I have got some great deals at them. While a lack of a real budget can be tough it just makes the accomplishment more rewarding in the end.

Found this out Friday, but today's the first day of this project--lost my covered parking at work because ASU is ripping up the parking lot and putting in solar cells over the parking spaces..a project for the next 5 months..by the time it gets hot here I'll have to park 1/2 a mile away out in the sun.. :(

That is indeed a bummer, because those covered spots are a nice bonus here indeed! They are putting more covered spots in at work, but no solar panels.

That is indeed a bummer, because those covered spots are a nice bonus here indeed! They are putting more covered spots in at work, but no solar panels.

Yeah, my company moved to a bigger office at the edge of the ASU campus about a year ago..before that we were in a loft on Mill Avenue with underground parking. I miss that...I previously had a gig in Scottsdale where I parked 3 floors underground..

Funny how different parts of the country have different needs. I enjoy my garage during the winter. You guys need shelter in the summer. I used to have taunting sessions with my Father-in-Law (whom lives in Phoenix, just off of Bell Run near the Blackhawk Frwy) about how he was driving his MG in January and I'd tell him how we went to the track in August.

Me, here & now what irks me? It's friggen snowing again heavily right now in the north-east. Just down right sucks outside…..

Edited by FASTBACK340

Since the topic of limited budgets came up, and someone already mentioned that there is a place in this hobby for people with limited budgets, and not to get upset about people with larger budgets...

Joe Cavorley was a fellow who lived on disability, very limited funds, and constant pain but he was the best commercial / light commercial modeler in the country during his lifetime. Everything he built was from scrap and old broken kits. Joe said he didn't have money for aftermarket, so if he needed a broom for a truck, he'd scratch build it from a toothpick and straw. He would chuckle that he had the time! And models he built were regularly in the magazines and a few are currently in the International Model Car Builder's Museum. He is no doubt responsible for the popularity of these categories today because they weren't cherished categories in the days he pioneered in them. When Joe died, the usual vultures thought he'd have a big collection of kits etc, but were dismayed to find a few boxes of parts kits and supplies.

Now on to the Irk part.. people do need to budget for what they spend in the hobby. Home and family come first. It bothers me to know guys who spend money they need for their kids and families on models. That's selfish and wrong! I have known of some real shameful situations where families were being evicted and the father / husband was still bidding on eBay. I have seen people who have no money for food until their next paycheck, but when they get it their first stop is the hobby shop. And we've all seen the guy dragging two kids along at a show (probably because the wife made him take them!) and the kids are bored as heck and carrying the huge bags of stuff he's bought for himself. And people who drag their family of 4 to Michaels to use 4 40% off coupons, but buy the kids nothing!

Be responsible!

Be responsible!

That says a lot about so many people in so many situations, not just this hobby.

This is a conversation I have to have with my wife over and over...money in hand does not necesarily mean you "have" money to spend. I want more than I actually buy, but I prioritize.

I talked to a lady once that was making a $700/mo car payment, and said she was struggling bcause she was a single mom for the past two years....then I reaslized she only had the car 1 year, (so her circumstances were the same when she got the car). I found it hard to be sympethetic given the fact that if she was struggling, then she should not have gotten this car to begin with when her circumstance were the same! Same job, same number of kids etc.

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

Happens a lot, Mark.

Some people want to appear to be more (successful, affluent, influential, important ~ add your choice here) than they really are. It amazes me, too, to see how many people complain about their circumstances yet consistently sacrifice the important things (children, family) for appearances.

Another one (and she's probably one of them) is these people that will go through the grocery checkout with two carts heaped with groceries and whip out their "hillbilly credit card" to pay for them with. Then, they go outside and load it all into $50,000.00 SUV. Really makes you go hmmmm..... I really want to go up to them and say, "So, you can afford a Cadilac SUV. But, you pay for your groceries with food stamps!!? I guess when you get your groceries for free, it frees up money for things you couldn't afford otherwise.

Totally different circumstance, but that reminds me of something that happened fairly regularly when I worked for an auto parts store.... a guy would come in driving a $40,000 pickup, with another five or ten grand worth of lift kit, tires, euro taillights, and tacky looking fake stainless doo-dads stuck all over it, then gripe when he finds out spark plugs for it are eight bucks a pop. I doubt he was whining at all when he spent $500 on that pre-runner front bumper that'll never have a speck of mud on it, but when it comes to something the truck actually needs to operate properly? Whoa... big deal!!!!