Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 Phantom Willys Roadster begins..! (Update) 3/20

Hizoot

Well last time I didn't make too many friends here but as I said.

PWR6.jpg

I decided that it was better to risk ridicule & or a stalled project than make a boring model. I just hope to get it done on time...!

Well that still holds true but here's some inspiration I picked up at the Portland roadster show.

PRSWillys2.jpg

No doubt this has added to my already huge "to do" list. Speaking of adding, I set fender on fender so my rod will look phat;

PWR7.jpg

So far, so good & this head rest will be molded in;

PWR9.jpg

I think I entered the wrong contest as this could be the ugliest roadster of all time as the body does not want to co-opperate;

Willys9.jpg

Still have a long way to go as I'm going to throw the book at this poor thing, stay tuned...

Hizoot :)

Edited by Hizoot

Ok here we go,

1st I opened up a new Revell good guys 41 Willys kit. I bought this some time ago just to have it & it seems the right time to open it. So far, it looks like a nice kit, even better than the Big John Maz. kit I bought BUT this IS good guys gone bad, so with only 2 cuts I now have a phantom roadster ;

PhantomWillysRdstr1.jpg

Looks like I made my 1st mistake..! NEVER shoot a white car against a white background or it will look like a polar bear in a snow storm ;

PWR2.jpg

Now this is where most guys could, would & maybe should stop but my brain damage far exceeds this & as I recall, this is called The Worlds MBMR implying a single or one off vehicle. To that ends, with a few hours (ok weeks) time to cut, chop & glue the front, I have something that looks like this ;

PWR3.jpg

I decided that it was better to risk ridicule & or a stalled project than make a boring model. I just hope to get it done on time & have already started thinking about plan - B..!

Hizoot :blink:

This looks like lot'sa fun :P , and you got a good start on it.

Pretty cool subject.

I'll keep watchin' ya and see how it developes.

Thanks for the pic's and sharing it - dave :)

PWR3.jpg

Looks great. Interesting that you raised the fenders. I thought about the opposite, namely sectioning the hood and upper body so that the top of the hood and slightly below the tops of the fenders, But your choice of windshield is inspired (what is it?) and this approach will conserve more of the original Willys look. More, more, more... :)

Thanks for the kind words guys,

Sad they maybe short lived as I'm not fond of "how to" for myself anyway. Yes I have no doubt you're itchen to know where that DuVall windshield came from & how I installed it. The problem here is that it's the first time I've done this technique & I'm NOT sure it will work or not. I don't want to say anything about this car until I know if it will work. If the project stalls, I'll tell you why & let you make your own decision at that time.

What I can do is talk about sectioning a Willys just to clarifty my attempt at this. First here's a small, photo of Dwayne Jone's SWCook Willys ;

DJsWillys.jpg

This was done by simply lifting the fenders & is an effective technique but on my project, the mid was sectioned & the hood reworked to form the new body line. Then the excess at the bottom was trimmed just below the fender. Why all this hub-bub in the first place..? Simple, it was not graphted onto a Willys..! I stoled the intire front, windshield hood & all, off another project that had stalled. While I'm pleased with my new facelift, I have no idea if it will work.

To be a good sport, I will show you a photo of the new wedged body line as I simply "lifted" the rear fenders 1/8th inch (not as much) as the fronts & trimmed the excess...

PWR6.jpg

PS - George, there's nothing wrong with the stock kit to my knowledge, I just want a one of a kind car. Please read the top post again.

Hizoot :lol:

Edited by Hizoot

• 2 weeks later...