Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coversion kits of the 90's-00's

I've actually got one of those '49 Ford/Thunderbirds pretty far along, with a Revell '90 or '91 kit. At first, it was pretty close to the way the 1:1 conversion was done, but the '49-'51 hood rises up too much at the center to look right on the T-bird body. I did flatten the hood out, it looks better, but right now it's back in the box awaiting further inspiration. The T-Bird only cost me three bucks...

I thought the Tbird/49 was a great looking car - easily the best of the conversions, and I believe the original. I finished mine after a few years of work. I did have to flatten the hood out. Once that was done, the rest of the front end fit went pretty easy. You can see I used the Tbird wheel wells. The rear was a little more work; the Tbird rear window area is pretty flat, the 49 is more round, and the rear of the 49 was narrower. That was all I did for the body work. It's all Tbird, except for a few 49 Ford pieces. This car is a curbside - no engine or driveline.

HPIM0353.JPG

Looks even 'better' on a truck. And by 'better', I mean not.

testarossakit-vi.jpg

Hey now, don't be hatin' on the Truxarossa kits. LOL. I remember the ones for S10s (not Blazers) were the only ones that were made different. Now those were ugly! I always thought the combo of big wide body kit and little tiny wheels of the era were kind of an oxymoron in itself.

Edited by Skydime

Can't find a photo but there was a kit to convert a Z car into a Cobra. I think it was called the Tomahawk.

This is the only pic I have of the Tomahawk . It really looks a lot worse in person .

Cobra89_zps9150fa4b.jpg

And then there was the California Ace built on an MG chassis . It really defeats the purpose of buying a Cobra !

001_zps8f60837e.jpg

That Tomahawk in that photo doesn't look all that bad to me...

I thought that at first glance.

But then you start really looking at it...

The Wildcat was an E-Type jag shaped kit car based on a Ford Cortina (Ford Europe 3 box sedan - 1600 to 3000cc engine options).

8179651349_f1dc69edf5.jpg

I ran into the owners club years ago at Le Mans. Very sad people. Constantly on the defensive about their choice of car. Some of which made the one shown above look complete and well built.

And then there was the California Ace built on an MG chassis . It really defeats the purpose of buying a Cobra !

But, the California Ace appears to be emulating the AC Ace which was not a Cobra although it BECAME the 289 Cobra.

That Tomahawk in that photo doesn't look all that bad to me. Anyone remember the Brubaker Box I think it was called and built on a VW

Sure do , the Brubaker Van or Box was on a VW chassis . It was very difficult to get in and out of with such a low roof and only one door , a sliding door on the passenger side . Everett - Morrison got the molds for this along with several other vehicles when they bought out Allied Industries in 1983 . We never built any and eventually sold the molds back to Dean Morrison .

2114710209_70d147aa1c_b1203254938_zps2d1

But, the California Ace appears to be emulating the AC Ace which was not a Cobra although it BECAME the 289 Cobra.

That's true , but they did an awful job ! Below is an original Ace which was manufactured from 1951 to 1962 .

ac-ace-2_zps98458909.jpg